Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Lee Power, budgets and finances  (Read 51659 times)
thepeoplesgame

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: Wednesday, December 3, 2014, 10:55:39 »

Jed seemed good until it became apparent he was full of shit and a blagger.

To be fair, that was immediately apparent.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: Wednesday, December 3, 2014, 11:00:26 »

Re. Jed and Power.. I really don't see it as a case of Power trusted him. I see it more as Power saw an opportunity to take over a club and played Jed for the idiot he is.
JayBox325

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: Wednesday, December 3, 2014, 11:03:45 »

He's battling a chequered history.

Brady seemed good until it became apparent donnegan and blatchley were likely spending the creditors money on champagne and helicopter rides.

Sir seaton seemed like the ideal backer until it became apparent that fat controller was taking the piss.

Even the best intentioned ownership of Fitton and co ended in tears and black stitched us up  with his exit strategy.

It's stuff like that that makes the old farts like me nervous. Power has seemed to be a brilliant breath of fresh air that has turned the club into a sustainable competitive entity. But...

Very good point...

Welcome to... the Quantas Ground!

Swindon Town Displays. Can you help out?
http://www.gofundme.com/STFCDisplays
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #183 on: Wednesday, December 3, 2014, 11:04:07 »

He seemed better than nothing after black pulled the plug!

I'd say doubts started to creep in fairly quickly over trying to keep PDC, flogging Ritchie and the calibre of the rest of the board.

so yeah, it took me a few months to be sure I'd say.

Not got the same feeling over power. But not seen any approved accounts/results of his financial audit yet have we?!

_---------

Oh man this threads going the wrong way. We should be cautiously optimistic over new investment. Not raking over the past just in case it happens again. My bad.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: Wednesday, December 3, 2014, 11:05:45 »

+1. Pleased and if it comes off positively for the club then Power deserves all the credit in the world, but I'll wait and see how it pans out before getting the garlands out, thanks

Judy?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: Wednesday, December 3, 2014, 11:09:01 »

He's battling a chequered history.

Brady seemed good until it became apparent donnegan and blatchley were likely spending the creditors money on champagne and helicopter rides.

Sir seaton seemed like the ideal backer until it became apparent that fat controller was taking the piss.

Even the best intentioned ownership of Fitton and co ended in tears and black stitched us up  with his exit strategy.

It's stuff like that that makes the old farts like me nervous. Power has seemed to be a brilliant breath of fresh air that has turned the club into a sustainable competitive entity. But...

The difference with all of these and Lee Power is that LP has actually played, lived and breathed the game and understands the importance of the football fan. These other guys are only in it for the money.

Perhaps LP is only in it for the money as well, but the fact he comes from a footballing background, you would hope he is in it for the right reasons.

Niall Quinn at Sunderland is another who comes across as a good ex-footballer going into the business side of a club.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
JayBox325

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: Wednesday, December 3, 2014, 11:11:00 »

The difference with all of these and Lee Power is that LP has actually played, lived and breathed the game and understands the importance of the football fan. These other guys are only in it for the money.

Perhaps LP is only in it for the money as well, but the fact he comes from a footballing background, you would hope he is in it for the right reasons.

Niall Quinn at Sunderland is another who comes across as a good ex-footballer going into the business side of a club.

You've got a point. This counts for a lot. He clearly has the club & fans at the heart of his motives. When he says "I'm a chairman, but I see it as I'm just here for the time-being. The club will be here forever and so will the fans." or something along those lines Wink

PetsWinPrizes

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: Wednesday, December 3, 2014, 11:15:54 »

The difference with all of these and Lee Power is that LP has actually played, lived and breathed the game and understands the importance of the football fan. 

I hope that's true, but you only have to read The Secret Footballer, to realise the contempt many ex players have for the fans.

I don't think that's the case in this instance, but it doesn't automatically follow 'played game.. have fans interests at heart'.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: Wednesday, December 3, 2014, 11:18:26 »

You've got a point. This counts for a lot. He clearly has the club & fans at the heart of his motives. When he says "I'm a chairman, but I see it as I'm just here for the time-being. The club will be here forever and so will the fans." or something along those lines Wink
Again, you're putting a lot of faith in what he says. Jed talked a good line too, and that sucked a lot of people in, but it was all bullshit. So did Bob Holt for that matter. And many bullshitters before them. Difference with Power is that, so far as we know at least, he has been able to walk the walk, not just talk the talk. Stop listening to what they say so much, look at what they do.
kerry red

« Reply #189 on: Wednesday, December 3, 2014, 11:19:12 »

What does any investor get out of being involved with a football club?

We are hardly a big enough name, marketing wise, for there to be any benefit to a Down Under business.

My guess would be some sort of tie in with an Aussie football club whose present owner has a few quid.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: Wednesday, December 3, 2014, 11:20:00 »

I hope that's true, but you only have to read The Secret Footballer, to realise the contempt many ex players have for the fans.

I don't think that's the case in this instance, but it doesn't automatically follow 'played game.. have fans interests at heart'.

Yeah, but who really cares what Dave Kitson thinks about football anyway?
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: Wednesday, December 3, 2014, 11:50:23 »

No, I completely agree PWP and of course we always have to be cautious when it comes to football ownership. Lee Power has no connection at all with Swindon, but I think he is a big football fan and would hope that he is in the  'played game.. have fans interests at heart' category.

With anything, time will tell.

JayBox325

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: Wednesday, December 3, 2014, 11:56:27 »

Again, you're putting a lot of faith in what he says. Jed talked a good line too, and that sucked a lot of people in, but it was all bullshit. So did Bob Holt for that matter. And many bullshitters before them. Difference with Power is that, so far as we know at least, he has been able to walk the walk, not just talk the talk. Stop listening to what they say so much, look at what they do.

Everything he's done so far backs up what he's saying, so I'm happy having faith for now.

Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: Wednesday, December 3, 2014, 13:21:30 »

After 24 years (you only need about 2 years worth) of actively supporting Swindon, it's hard to get excited about such sentences.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: Wednesday, December 3, 2014, 15:09:44 »

What does any investor get out of being involved with a football club?

We are hardly a big enough name, marketing wise, for there to be any benefit to a Down Under business.

My guess would be some sort of tie in with an Aussie football club whose present owner has a few quid.

My guess...

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to: