Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Supporters' Trust Statement on Court Case  (Read 28930 times)
PetsWinPrizes

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: Saturday, May 3, 2014, 08:53:07 »

They got complacent when fitton took over, pure and simple, and it needs a big change in mindset (maybe even leadership) to change that.

I think the fan base as a whole got complacent during the Fitton era, and frankly who can blame us, after years of Diamandis and the rest of them, I think most were delighted to be able to concentrate on matters on the pitch. As a result membership of the Trust dropped off massively, and it essentially became a skeleton organisation until everything went tits up last year.

It does have now many new members, and, yes, a new chair and board members.They have far from got everything sorted so far, but have made some progress, the ACV was a Trust initiative, and membership is on the up. I'm told that 35 new members were recruited in one day alone this week

truststfc.com/join

I'd agree that this thread, for the most part, contains some valuable research about how things could improve.

I forwarded Nemos point by email to members of the board yesterday, and will pass on the others or suggest that they take a look at this thread and use it to inform how they improve things from now on. If others have thoughts on how things could be done differently or ideas that perhaps they don't want to put on this forum they could email the trust direct info@truststfc.com.

Personally I think communications with the members has got to be improved, and I'm hopeful this will be taken on board. The board members are, like the rest of us, passionate Swindon Town fans, they are on a learning curve and I'm cautiously hopeful that when we inevitably have this conversation in 6 months time, there will be a more positive outlook from many about the future.

It's a terrible shame that the Trust wasn't in a position to take the club off Black, as I agree that would have been a unique opportunity. However such was Blacks haste in trying to get rid I think it would have been impossible with such short notice. His haste after all was why we ended up with Jed et al, there were other people interested, but they wouldn't have been able to complete due diligence in time.
« Last Edit: Saturday, May 3, 2014, 09:03:30 by PetsWinPrizes » Logged
HexstaticSTFC

« Reply #136 on: Saturday, May 3, 2014, 09:15:21 »

Some of you have done fuck all to save guard our club apart from slag the one organisation that trys. Why don't you join and go to meetings and say how bad you think the trust is and attempt to change it rather then hide behind a keyboard.
« Last Edit: Saturday, May 3, 2014, 09:28:03 by HexstaticSTFC » Logged
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: Saturday, May 3, 2014, 09:38:36 »

Some of you have done fuck all to save guard our club apart from slag the one organisation that trys. Why don't you join and go to meetings and say how bad you think the trust is and attempt to change it rather then hide behind a keyboard.

Well, you clearly haven't read any of the thread.

I have joined. "meetings" appear to be annual and held in a pub in Swindon, and then (one off, but still more than a little annoying) not reported to the wider membership at the request of a guest.

Agreeing with the objectives of the trust =/= Agreeing with every action of the Trust
Talk Talk

« Reply #138 on: Saturday, May 3, 2014, 09:42:30 »

What I find strange is that some people think that Swindon is somewhat unique in attracting a succession of shysters/conmen.

I would have thought the majority of clubs, especially those historically seen as 'small', have the exact same problem.

The fact that we may not have heard about it, much the same as others know nothing about our present travails, doesn't mean it ain't happening/happened.

Football is the kind of business that is highly attractive to chancers out for making a quick buck

This is a very good point. My take on it is that the football business is reasonably inelastic when it comes to income from the supporters. Any owner or investor has a captive customer base (i.e. loyal to the football side) that they can fuck over and still get a relatively constant income stream. Unlike most other markets where shafting the customers means that most will disappear and the operation will go bust, it's a great opportunity for shysters as STFC - and a whole load of other clubs - have seen time and time again.

Oh and please just fuck off Jed.
Talk Talk

« Reply #139 on: Saturday, May 3, 2014, 09:45:23 »

I have joined. "meetings" appear to be annual and held in a pub in Swindon, and then (one off, but still more than a little annoying) not reported to the wider membership at the request of a guest.

Agreeing with the objectives of the trust =/= Agreeing with every action of the Trust

I'm with Nemo. Pal, you have no idea what a lot of the people who post on this board have done for the club in the past, whether through the Trust, individually or otherwise. Don't generalize or be so insulting please.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: Saturday, May 3, 2014, 09:47:08 »

Accusing people of hiding behind their keyboards doesn't help the Trust's argument with the points/concerns already raised. Fans shouldn't be asked join the Trust because they feel they could do a better job. It should be because there's a united aim.
PetsWinPrizes

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: Saturday, May 3, 2014, 09:49:01 »

I don't think it was aimed at everyone who criticisised.

As for the shyster thing, it's sadly probably true at every level these days with the odd noble exception, the higher you go the more you are exposed to greed and short termism, Pompey being the most famous example but there will be others (hi Bournemouth), quite what can be done to reverse this trend across the game I don't know, but well organised fan bodies seem the best answer to me .
Flashheart

« Reply #142 on: Saturday, May 3, 2014, 09:49:06 »

Yep. That's really going to garner more sympathy for the trust, good work.
Talk Talk

« Reply #143 on: Saturday, May 3, 2014, 09:54:26 »

Nice aim with the hammer there Nemo.

The dream scenario for me is a bastard child of the Andrew Black and Trust ownership scenarios. A reasonably wealthy business savvy investor who is also a dedicated Town supporter and sets up a framework where the long term legal holding of the club sits with the supporters.

This has sort of been mentioned several times in this thread and yes, it does come down to money as always.
PetsWinPrizes

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: Saturday, May 3, 2014, 10:05:53 »

Yes, I'm not sure if it was this or another thread, but someone said what a shame it was the guy who left the club all that money (did we ever find out what/ if they spent it?) didn't instead gift it to the Trust.

If it were to happen again (I can dream) an organised strong Trust would hopefully be more appealing. The same is true for getting a community minded big business on board, there is far more attraction I suspect, it getting involved with a well organised local project than some shyster.

Of course this involves a lot of improvement on part of the Trust, though perhaps not the most elegantly made point I think Hex is onto something. Everyone on here (with the probable exception of Dexter) cares passionately about this club, so lets care passionately about securing it for the future. If you like the idea of the Trust but don't like what they are or aren't doing tell them, make suggestions, offer to help. It's the only way it can get to where we, or at least the vast majority of us according to the poll on here, want it to be

It won't be quick or easy but it will, I think, be possible in the long term.
Talk Talk

« Reply #145 on: Saturday, May 3, 2014, 10:13:35 »

I believe the Trust's biggest problem and where it should focus is how it is perceived by the majority of the fan base. Jayo and others definitely have a point, even if strongly made, about "toothless" and "secretive" and so on. That's not a criticism of the ideals of the Trust, or the individuals who put themselves out to run and organise it.

Perception is king I think and people have long memories.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: Saturday, May 3, 2014, 10:38:13 »

http://www.truststfc.com/join/

Thanks for posting that link PWP

5 minutes and £1.25 debited to a bank card seems a very reasonable investment to give the Trust one member and a stronger representative authority

DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: Saturday, May 3, 2014, 12:46:57 »

I don't know if it's just my perception but the Trust and what they do disappeared when Paul Davis stepped down.

Now whether that's just my perception because I've taken less interest or because we were against Diamond Mike it was easier to get fans interested or because there was more going on the Trust were approached more by the media, remember than getting column inches in the Adver and what not or because Mark Devlin left (I think he met with the Trust on a regular basis, keyword being think )

My interested in all things STFC has gone down the shitter the last few years, so I could be well out of touch but couldn't tell you whose on the Trust board these days?
Who can?
bullethead

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: Saturday, May 3, 2014, 22:14:06 »

Rejoined the Trust today, whether it is a pointless gesture or not I don't know but I currently fear for the club I love. The current courtroom 'drama' highlights just how much we are at the mercy of others and their egos. We need a voice that might get heard.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #149 on: Sunday, May 4, 2014, 06:58:33 »

I reckon that if the Trust was ready to take over ownership of the club, Black would have willingly handed it over and most likely written off all his money. He might have even thrown a few quid extra in as well.

Though the worst bit for me is that the Trust has learnt absolutely nothing from it. Things will turn to shit at the club again sooner or later and another opportunity will present itself, yet as far as I'm aware the Trust has still done fuck all about moving in that direction.

I'm not sure the talk about members and money is that relevant, having an organisation that represents the fans and can speak for them is more important. This forum is probably a lot more relevant to represent the fans than the Trust. If someone could be bothered to ask properly there's a good chance the club would interact more on here.

That's exactly how I feel. Of course I would point out that it is also the people (myself included) who contribute to that situation by having such forthright views but not being part of the Trust.

If there was a very clear plan for how to acquire the club, or a significant shareholding and there was a sustained campaign to create awareness and action it I think many would buy in to it. I would even reconsider joining and investing.

With the real possibility of changes ahead and a subsequent feeling of discontent, the next two or three months could be the most critical time in my opinion.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up
Print
Jump to: