Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Fan power article  (Read 7149 times)
PetsWinPrizes

Ignore
« on: Monday, December 9, 2013, 10:57:56 »

In response to Vic Morgans blog on the subject, I wrote something for The Washbag about fan representation, it's here, so please feel free to read it, comment, call me a cunt, or just ignore this

http://thewashbag.com/2013/12/09/nows-the-right-time-to-embrace-the-fans-power/
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, December 9, 2013, 11:16:54 »

In response to Vic Morgans blog on the subject, I wrote something for The Washbag about fan representation, it's here, so please feel free to read it, comment, call me a cunt, or just ignore this

http://thewashbag.com/2013/12/09/nows-the-right-time-to-embrace-the-fans-power/

I don't disagree with the substantive argument...but there are some nits to pick.

Ritchie, it's Ritchie.  Our last owner who was a Town fan....Sir Seton Wills, didn't get us very far; last Chairman... Cliff Puffett, both regimes took us to administration.

Most of the 20th Century the club was not run by captains of industry but by small time purveyors of swine and dough boys, like Eric Lane and Wilf Castle.

It was the catastrophic decision taken in 83/84 when we finished a historical low in Div 4, that the decision was taken to dispense with the traditional 1 share 1 vote....Co-Op model, which had served the club for near on a century.

The idea was to enable rich individuals to put money in return for having the clout to make decisions without recourse to the small shareholders....which has brought us to the current model, whereby owners have carte blanche to do exactly as they see fit without any checks or balances, save the kind of direct action which eventually removed the Wills and Diamandis.

We now have a model where a chancer like McCrory, can pick up the club for a £....mess about a bit for a few months, then sell it on for presumably a tidy sum as thanks for his "efforts"  Not exactly what was perceived back in the 80's.
« Last Edit: Monday, December 9, 2013, 11:18:43 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #2 on: Monday, December 9, 2013, 11:21:38 »

Nice idea but most Town fans are fucking idiots.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, December 9, 2013, 11:45:52 »

Nice idea but most Town fans are fucking idiots.
So are most people generally, would you abolish parliamentary democracy on that basis? Never heard of the "wisdom of crowds"?
PetsWinPrizes

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, December 9, 2013, 12:01:55 »

So are most people generally, would you abolish parliamentary democracy on that basis? Never heard of the "wisdom of crowds"?

I'd like to think, in the model I'd suggested, that 'fucking idiots' wouldn't get very far in any vote for a fan rep.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, December 9, 2013, 12:08:17 »

I'd like to think, in the model I'd suggested, that 'fucking idiots' wouldn't get very far in any vote for a fan rep.

Fucking idiot, though is such a relative concept, that even Boris Johnson might have difficulty quantifying.

After all one man's candidate for fan rep is another man's Tory MP (ergo an FI)

We're stuck with what we've got....if Power fucks about then our only recourse is direct action.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, December 9, 2013, 12:10:36 »

A big opportunity was missed when Black decided to sell. If the fans had been organised and getting ready for a takeover the possibility would have been there and I reckon it would have been Black's preferred choice.

Problem is that everyone talks about it and no one does anything. Form a single fan body, get rid of the various groups that exist at present, and start organising so we're ready the next time the opportunity presents.

Before anyone asks, I'm not doing anything as I can't be arsed.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Monday, December 9, 2013, 12:19:53 »

A big opportunity was missed when Black decided to sell. If the fans had been organised and getting ready for a takeover the possibility would have been there and I reckon it would have been Black's preferred choice.

Problem is that everyone talks about it and no one does anything. Form a single fan body, get rid of the various groups that exist at present, and start organising so we're ready the next time the opportunity presents.

Before anyone asks, I'm not doing anything as I can't be arsed.
There you are then. Easy to carp.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Monday, December 9, 2013, 12:27:08 »

There you are then. Easy to carp.

Won't someone think of the carp, Eastern Europeans eat them on Christmas Eve.
PetsWinPrizes

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Monday, December 9, 2013, 12:58:08 »

Re Regs nits, apologies for the Ritchie slip, terrible really.

As for the 'Captains of Regional Industry' I wasn't talking about Town at that point, but more the game in general, how it's gone from prominent local chairs, to opaque foreign ownership models when no one, including the Club staff in many cases, has a clue who really pulls the strings.

I'll bow to your superior knowledge of Towns ownership, prior to the lat 80s when I started going, maybe you should write a piece on it for The Washbag, if you could be arsed. I'd be interested to know more.

iffy

« Reply #10 on: Monday, December 9, 2013, 13:05:13 »

I thought it was a good, sensible article making a number of reasonable points in a coherent way.

There is no market for thinking of this kind.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #11 on: Monday, December 9, 2013, 13:33:40 »

The idea mooted in the article is about as far from parliamentary democracy as you can get while still being a democracy.

Parliamentary democracy isn't really a democracy is it? Did you or I get to vote on the recent MP pay rise?
« Last Edit: Monday, December 9, 2013, 13:37:22 by jayohaitchenn » Logged
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Monday, December 9, 2013, 13:36:14 »

Re Regs nits, apologies for the Ritchie slip, terrible really.

As for the 'Captains of Regional Industry' I wasn't talking about Town at that point, but more the game in general, how it's gone from prominent local chairs, to opaque foreign ownership models when no one, including the Club staff in many cases, has a clue who really pulls the strings.

I'll bow to your superior knowledge of Towns ownership, prior to the lat 80s when I started going, maybe you should write a piece on it for The Washbag, if you could be arsed. I'd be interested to know more.

I like this idea. Ex mos posters opinions. Reg this week, leroy next maybe?
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Monday, December 9, 2013, 13:50:29 »

Kingston Robin after that please.
PetsWinPrizes

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Monday, December 9, 2013, 13:56:59 »

Perhaps Riddle could resurrect his away day match reports, keeping the tradition of barely mentioning the game, whilst having paragraph upon paragraph of drinking and stripper chat. I'd read it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: