Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Help Choosing a new phone  (Read 14603 times)
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday, November 13, 2013, 14:44:04 »

I know it's the gadget show and they aren't the most reliable source, but there was a piece this week on smartphones.  Stupid test but worth a watch.  They compare IOS7/Android/Windows as well as Iphone/LG/Nokia.

Surprisingly the LG won the test.

http://gadgetshow.channel5.com/gadget-show/blog/series-18-episode-5-smartphones

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday, November 13, 2013, 15:04:52 »

Apple must have ended their sponsorship of the gadget show then Smiley
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday, November 13, 2013, 22:45:53 »

Apple must have ended their sponsorship of the gadget show then Smiley

Yeah that's what I thought when they didn't win. Smiley

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday, November 13, 2013, 23:24:59 »

Wonder what this Motorola Moto G is like for £135 ?

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
jutty274

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday, November 13, 2013, 23:33:34 »

Is that the one with the tree trillion megapixel camera. How many photos can you fit into it ?

no just 16 megapixel but it does 7 pictures at once so you can pick the best one, you can swap the faces from one shot to another. It is so simple to use as well.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Saturday, July 25, 2020, 15:41:23 »

Has anybody got or used the Huawei P30 lite if so it any good

So, give no fucks
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Saturday, July 25, 2020, 22:36:11 »

Has anybody got or used the Huawei P30 lite if so it any good

I have a P30 Pro. All the P30 (and P20) models have a google licence so you will effectively get two OS in one (Android 10 & EMUI 10... .130 something update has just gone out in the UK too). The P40s still have no google licence which may be an issue for some. Bar a few tweaks and a couple of extra features. My P30 Pro does just as much, if not more than the P40 Pro, especially for a UK or US customer.

If a P30 Pro is out of your price range (monthly or outright) then instead of the lite, I would go for the P20 Pro. Pretty much everything bar the RAM and storage space is very similar (I think the P20 Pro is 6GB RAM and 128GB Storage, the P30 lite is 8GB RAM and less storage but haven't checked so may be wrong) and it has one camera less but then the argument would be, just how many cameras does a phone need? But yes, the P20 Pro will give you more bang than a P30 lite.

I use mine fairly optimally for work on the go. The camera(s) whilst not better than most new DSLRs do produce some awesome results and I do use this when I happen to have left the camera behind. The manual mode works for me as it is near enough to like setting up a DSLR. Not 100% what you are wanting to purchase the phone for though as today they are multi-use devices. As I say, take what you want from the above but overall if you can't afford the P30 Pro or for some reason want the P40 Pro (strange for western customer to choose this currently). I would definitely advise going for the P20 Pro instead. I don't think you would be disappointed.

What would you be leaving behind if going over to Huawei?
« Last Edit: Saturday, July 25, 2020, 22:50:33 by bamboonoshop » Logged

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Saturday, July 25, 2020, 23:39:04 »

I have a P30 Pro. All the P30 (and P20) models have a google licence so you will effectively get two OS in one (Android 10 & EMUI 10... .130 something update has just gone out in the UK too). The P40s still have no google licence which may be an issue for some. Bar a few tweaks and a couple of extra features. My P30 Pro does just as much, if not more than the P40 Pro, especially for a UK or US customer.

If a P30 Pro is out of your price range (monthly or outright) then instead of the lite, I would go for the P20 Pro. Pretty much everything bar the RAM and storage space is very similar (I think the P20 Pro is 6GB RAM and 128GB Storage, the P30 lite is 8GB RAM and less storage but haven't checked so may be wrong) and it has one camera less but then the argument would be, just how many cameras does a phone need? But yes, the P20 Pro will give you more bang than a P30 lite.

I use mine fairly optimally for work on the go. The camera(s) whilst not better than most new DSLRs do produce some awesome results and I do use this when I happen to have left the camera behind. The manual mode works for me as it is near enough to like setting up a DSLR. Not 100% what you are wanting to purchase the phone for though as today they are multi-use devices. As I say, take what you want from the above but overall if you can't afford the P30 Pro or for some reason want the P40 Pro (strange for western customer to choose this currently). I would definitely advise going for the P20 Pro instead. I don't think you would be disappointed.

What would you be leaving behind if going over to Huawei?

Many thanks for the detailed reply it's much appreciated. I had an iPhone 6s but the battery was terrible then a Samsung A40 which is ok but over heats and out of guarantee.
The latest P30 lite has 256 gb and 6gb ram but if I could get a 20 pro on a budget of £250-270"I would buy one.
PS just checked the prices and around £350 so more than I want to spend
« Last Edit: Saturday, July 25, 2020, 23:41:27 by Jimmy Quinn » Logged

So, give no fucks
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Sunday, July 26, 2020, 02:40:01 »

Ahh ok, was only thinking of the P30 lite against P20 Pro. Forgetting that they bought out enhanced versions of 30 lite (NE) & 30 Pro (NE). Infact, I kinda got lucky because when my 30 Pro shipped it was supposedly the slightly older one but when it arrived, I had the NE. So bonus on my part.

I personally feel that the P20 Pro has more longevity and better overall features than the P30 lite (NE). In some ways, it may not matter too much because Huawei are pretty kind on rolling out their updates to a vast range of models. Both of these will receive almost identical updates.

Where of course the difference matters is in pure RAM and processor. For phones they are pretty decent at this end but the P20 Pro still wins. The P30 Pro is like this in a similar vein with the P40/P40 Pro (as well as previous other OS advances over the newer model). The P30 lite only runs on Kirin 710, whereas the P20 Pro is on K970 (the P30 Pro runs K980) and the both have 6GB RAM. Whilst the lite has 256gb of internal and the Pro has 128gb, once the lite start filling up to max, that K710 will show and your performance will dip. Where the Pro will maintain a good level of optimum behavior with minimal lag.

The cameras, have differing values but the Pro wins overall. with 40, 20 and 8 on the rear and 24mp on the front. The Lite has 48 , 8, and 2 on the rear and 32 on the front. Pro wins because, when it comes to AI Processing, again this is due to the better Kirin. But lets also remember that Megapixels alone don't make the best images.

Battery wise, the Pro will go longer as has the same 4000mAh and fast charge as 22.5W. The lite is 3300mAh w fast 18W. You'll struggle to get a full day with medium to heavy usage. These are both bettered by the P30 Pro 4200mAh and SFC 40W (think it can take the 60W too) Superfast. But you can see why the P20 Pro has good longevity. Its processor and battery capacity nearly match the 30Pro and out perform the 30lite. This is awesome considering the Pro is already 2yrs old.

Price point wise, I was sure the 20Pro and lite were pretty evenly matched at around that £350. You could probably get it down to around £300 if you shopped around or checked out a few cashback sites. £300 for the 20Pro is decent value and worth the £30 stretch. With the updates, I'd say the 20Pro will get the 10.1 and when the 11 comes along that will probably be it's last one. So, likely a good 2/3rs with fully updated support. The P30 lite may get one update further (let's say 11.0123, as opposed to 11.093) but poss just a final patch. If I'd bought the 20Pro in 2018, I'd be pretty impressed with a phone keeping up with the "better" ones for 5yrs and by 2022 the P30 Pro or 40 Pro would've dropped in price to snag one of them at a good price.

If you go on Wish, you can get a P30 Pro 8GB + 512GB (apparently) all for just £89. You may end up with just a very pricey box though. In any case, all of the above will outperform most iPhones. Whilst the Samsungs do process a tiny bit quicker (for relevant/comparable devices) there is not much to choose from, so then it's more down to familiarity, brand loyalty (ey?), Team Korea, Team China, Team America (World Police) or whatever.

I probs should've DM'd as this is, in good old "me" fashion, rather a long response but when someone wants a hand deciding, it's always good to have a good chunk of the info all in one place. I'll keep a look out for price fluctuations but you could also consider a refurb? There are some virtually minted versions of "used" phones out there and it's not from Craigy down the Greyhound, who puts the orders in for cheap bottles of Bolly and 200 Marlboro.

Anyhoo, hope this helps in some way and you can be better informed going forward.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Sunday, July 26, 2020, 05:45:30 »

For that budget I note the Motorola G8. I've had a couple in the series and they have been really good. I currently use a G6, which is a 'hand me down' from my son. Does everything I need.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
jevs

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Monday, July 27, 2020, 08:39:29 »

I've had a Huawei P30 for a while and would recommend it, but I haven't used the lite version. If you are looking to buy a phone on a budget the Moto G range are excellent, I bought one a few generations back after breaking a contract phone and you really couldn't fault it for the price.

If you want another iphone, you can currently pick up an X from £22 per month (plus £100 up front minus £50 cashback). Not my thing, but my daughter's Apple obsessed so I've been looking recently.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Monday, July 27, 2020, 10:33:18 »

OnePlus have launched OnePlus Nord, a more moderately priced phone to sit beneath their standard line (which used to be budget but have moved up the price spectrum as they try to be "flagship-beaters"). It's around £350 I think, not tried one myself but it seems to be getting good reviews and their standard line is excellent (I have a OnePlus 7T and love it). The missus has had Motorola G* budget phones in the past and they've all been superb value for money.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Monday, July 27, 2020, 11:02:02 »

Ahh ok, was only thinking of the P30 lite against P20 Pro. Forgetting that they bought out enhanced versions of 30 lite (NE) & 30 Pro (NE). Infact, I kinda got lucky because when my 30 Pro shipped it was supposedly the slightly older one but when it arrived, I had the NE. So bonus on my part.

I personally feel that the P20 Pro has more longevity and better overall features than the P30 lite (NE). In some ways, it may not matter too much because Huawei are pretty kind on rolling out their updates to a vast range of models. Both of these will receive almost identical updates.

Where of course the difference matters is in pure RAM and processor. For phones they are pretty decent at this end but the P20 Pro still wins. The P30 Pro is like this in a similar vein with the P40/P40 Pro (as well as previous other OS advances over the newer model). The P30 lite only runs on Kirin 710, whereas the P20 Pro is on K970 (the P30 Pro runs K980) and the both have 6GB RAM. Whilst the lite has 256gb of internal and the Pro has 128gb, once the lite start filling up to max, that K710 will show and your performance will dip. Where the Pro will maintain a good level of optimum behavior with minimal lag.

The cameras, have differing values but the Pro wins overall. with 40, 20 and 8 on the rear and 24mp on the front. The Lite has 48 , 8, and 2 on the rear and 32 on the front. Pro wins because, when it comes to AI Processing, again this is due to the better Kirin. But lets also remember that Megapixels alone don't make the best images.

Battery wise, the Pro will go longer as has the same 4000mAh and fast charge as 22.5W. The lite is 3300mAh w fast 18W. You'll struggle to get a full day with medium to heavy usage. These are both bettered by the P30 Pro 4200mAh and SFC 40W (think it can take the 60W too) Superfast. But you can see why the P20 Pro has good longevity. Its processor and battery capacity nearly match the 30Pro and out perform the 30lite. This is awesome considering the Pro is already 2yrs old.

Price point wise, I was sure the 20Pro and lite were pretty evenly matched at around that £350. You could probably get it down to around £300 if you shopped around or checked out a few cashback sites. £300 for the 20Pro is decent value and worth the £30 stretch. With the updates, I'd say the 20Pro will get the 10.1 and when the 11 comes along that will probably be it's last one. So, likely a good 2/3rs with fully updated support. The P30 lite may get one update further (let's say 11.0123, as opposed to 11.093) but poss just a final patch. If I'd bought the 20Pro in 2018, I'd be pretty impressed with a phone keeping up with the "better" ones for 5yrs and by 2022 the P30 Pro or 40 Pro would've dropped in price to snag one of them at a good price.

If you go on Wish, you can get a P30 Pro 8GB + 512GB (apparently) all for just £89. You may end up with just a very pricey box though. In any case, all of the above will outperform most iPhones. Whilst the Samsungs do process a tiny bit quicker (for relevant/comparable devices) there is not much to choose from, so then it's more down to familiarity, brand loyalty (ey?), Team Korea, Team China, Team America (World Police) or whatever.

I probs should've DM'd as this is, in good old "me" fashion, rather a long response but when someone wants a hand deciding, it's always good to have a good chunk of the info all in one place. I'll keep a look out for price fluctuations but you could also consider a refurb? There are some virtually minted versions of "used" phones out there and it's not from Craigy down the Greyhound, who puts the orders in for cheap bottles of Bolly and 200 Marlboro.

Anyhoo, hope this helps in some way and you can be better informed going forward.

Many thanks again for tami g the time to collaborate a decent reply
Huawei 20Pro £380
Honor 20 £280
New P30 Lite with 256gb storage £250
Lots to ponder

So, give no fucks
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #43 on: Monday, July 27, 2020, 11:15:02 »

Oppo Reno 2z is another to consider
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Monday, July 27, 2020, 11:24:11 »

OnePlus have launched OnePlus Nord, a more moderately priced phone to sit beneath their standard line (which used to be budget but have moved up the price spectrum as they try to be "flagship-beaters"). It's around £350 I think, not tried one myself but it seems to be getting good reviews and their standard line is excellent (I have a OnePlus 7T and love it). The missus has had Motorola G* budget phones in the past and they've all been superb value for money.

Defo one plus for the oneplus. Never owned one but have used them on a few occasion and they are cracking phones
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: