Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 19   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Mark Cooper  (Read 72819 times)
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: Tuesday, August 13, 2013, 09:10:53 »

I was going to ask that.  (And then didn't.)  To what extent is the passing football of the last few games down to Mark Cooper, and to what extent down to the players we have signed (mainly from Spurs)?
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #76 on: Tuesday, August 13, 2013, 09:12:13 »

We could always take a risk on someone who’s the total opposite – a “no man”.
One of those high profile types with a shit load of baggage and a sizeable annual salary.
One willing to speak out against his employers because they won’t lend the club another £2m for him to piss away on shit players, which he’ll only alienate within 5 minutes before paying up their contract.
One who would throw his toys out of the pram and quit the club in a hissy fit if things didn’t go his way.
One who will attempt to sue the club despite the precarious financial position he played a part in leaving it in.

I’m personally of the view that if Cooper is doing a better job than MacDonald then it’s win-win. 3 games isn’t enough to tell but we should have a good idea by the end of the month.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: Tuesday, August 13, 2013, 09:20:39 »

I was going to ask that.  (And then didn't.)  To what extent is the passing football of the last few games down to Mark Cooper, and to what extent down to the players we have signed (mainly from Spurs)?

It appears to be a top down decision from Power/McCrory...now I've no particular problem with that, insofar as it sets a target and then leaves the manager/coach to deliver...I've no particular problem with Power being responsible for recruitment as long as it is in proper consultation with the coach, who must have some power of veto as well as being able to forward names of targets.

My main problem with Cooper, is I don't see any evidence of the necessary experience of the coaching of young players to the level of excellence I'd expect in a set up like that being established.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: Tuesday, August 13, 2013, 09:24:43 »

Didn't we bring in a couple of new coaches recently?

Could there be more to follow to support Mr Cooper and put Reg's fears to bed?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: Tuesday, August 13, 2013, 09:25:00 »

If he has no faith in it then it's pretty impressive he's pulling it off so well... so far anyway.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: Tuesday, August 13, 2013, 09:33:46 »

Didn't we bring in a couple of new coaches recently?

Could there be more to follow to support Mr Cooper and put Reg's fears to bed?

Think so, but it's been a bit quiet on this, wasn't one from Brighton? I would imagine, these have been a Board appointment rather than a Cooper appointment...also part of the Spurs link I believe is that they will provide some coaching. So if Cooper is able to operate within this collegiate structure then fair enough, if it works.
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: Tuesday, August 13, 2013, 09:42:47 »

Do we know Cooper "believes" in possession football?  Wasn't one of the criticisms of his time at Posh that he was a direct football man?  Did Kettering knock it around Barca style, in the Conference?  I don't know.

You work with what you've got. If you're provided with the types of players that he has been left in charge of here, then it's probably only going to encourage you to play a certain style - whether he's been told to by the dark overlords or not.
I believe in this style of football and it certainly isn't because I've been told to. As a modern day manager, how can you not believe in it?

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: Tuesday, August 13, 2013, 09:47:27 »

You work with what you've got. If you're provided with the types of players that he has been left in charge of here, then it's probably only going to encourage you to play a certain style - whether he's been told to by the dark overlords or not.
I believe in this style of football and it certainly isn't because I've been told to. As a modern day manager, how can you not believe in it?

This is true. No disrespect to Kettering, but I can't imagine Cooper had a set of players who had the ability to keep the ball and work posession. Possibly this was his downfall at Peterborough, trying to play hoofball in the Championship, don't really know.

He doesn't really have a choice but to play a passing game with our team of midgets but so far it sounds like it might be working.

My slight worry is that it sounded like Stevenage made 1 simple change, to put a striker man marking Kasim which brought them back into the game in the second half. I wonder if Cooper has the tactical nous to get round things like this. If the way to nullify our threat is to take Kasim out of the game then I hope he might have some ideas of how to get around this.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Deptford Grinch

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: Tuesday, August 13, 2013, 09:51:06 »

My main problem with Cooper, is I don't see any evidence of the necessary experience of the coaching of young players to the level of excellence I'd expect in a set up like that being established.

He also seems to be drifting towards being a one-trick pony. 2nd half on Saturday Stevenage worked us out (and they're not one of the better teams in the division by a long way) and we seemed to have no plan b. I think its admirable to try and play passing football in L1, but a good manager will know when to mix it up and that the game needs something different. Not sure Cooper is capable of that from what I've seen so far.
bassett boy

we will overcome

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: Tuesday, August 13, 2013, 10:01:34 »

Mark Cooper at the moment splits the view of us all, could we a good appointment or a disaster
Seems we are doing ok with playing nice football but teams will change their style to bypass this for the whole game then do we have the capability to counter not sure
What are the criteria that people want for a manager, we have good managers Hoddle, PDC to name a couple but it has always been when they leave not if they leave. Therefore we have been 1 step forward and 2 back on occasions due to bringing in a named ex player who will put bums on seats for the first few games  or journey manager’s(Wilson)
As we have no money surely we need to look at a steady Eddie, stability in the league possible push for play offs every other year and a decent run in the cup to bring in some revenue Progress kids through the team sell on with a profit
Does Mark Cooper fit that bill I am not sure, 3 games is too early to call, my lingering question has been why have Jed and Co not filled the role either internally or externally. Is Kevin Mac still technically the manager?
One other point has any of the current playing staff voiced the view “give Mark Cooper the job”
Deptford Grinch

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: Tuesday, August 13, 2013, 10:02:46 »

Mark Cooper at the moment splits the view of us all, could we a good appointment or a disaster
Seems we are doing ok with playing nice football but teams will change their style to bypass this for the whole game then do we have the capability to counter not sure
What are the criteria that people want for a manager, we have good managers Hoddle, PDC to name a couple but it has always been when they leave not if they leave. Therefore we have been 1 step forward and 2 back on occasions due to bringing in a named ex player who will put bums on seats for the first few games  or journey manager’s(Wilson)
As we have no money surely we need to look at a steady Eddie, stability in the league possible push for play offs every other year and a decent run in the cup to bring in some revenue Progress kids through the team sell on with a profit
Does Mark Cooper fit that bill I am not sure, 3 games is too early to call, my lingering question has been why have Jed and Co not filled the role either internally or externally. Is Kevin Mac still technically the manager?
One other point has any of the current playing staff voiced the view “give Mark Cooper the job”

Spot on.
derbystfc

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: Tuesday, August 13, 2013, 10:21:41 »

Think so, but it's been a bit quiet on this, wasn't one from Brighton? I would imagine, these have been a Board appointment rather than a Cooper appointment...also part of the Spurs link I believe is that they will provide some coaching. So if Cooper is able to operate within this collegiate structure then fair enough, if it works.

The Spurs coaching link was strongly denied by Jed on the phone in.

I find it hard to form an opinion on managers, I thought Wilson would be god for us, and PDC would be a disaster.

We had success with Wise, Sturrock, PDC, but the football was more efficient the good, in fact Sturrock was a lot more direct.

If Cooper is given the job, then its only fair he is given the support of the fan base, it's not so much of an unknown quantity as the managers named above, as he is doing the job right now. even PDC struggled for a plan B and C.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: Tuesday, August 13, 2013, 10:23:06 »

Some good points here....ideally I'd like someone like Inglethorpe, but reality is we can't afford someone of his calibre, unless for some personal reason he'd take a sizeable pay cut.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: Tuesday, August 13, 2013, 10:28:22 »

If they are not going to get in a Tisdale/Hoddle level of manager then they should give it to Cooper until Xmas or for the season.  Maybe use some of the budget freed up by Kmac's departure to bring in an experienced head next to him like Wovers did with Trollope.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
bassett boy

we will overcome

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: Tuesday, August 13, 2013, 10:34:48 »

Some good points here....ideally I'd like someone like Inglethorpe, but reality is we can't afford someone of his calibre, unless for some personal reason he'd take a sizeable pay cut.
Thanks Reg
Who is Inglethorpe ?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 19   Go Up
Print
Jump to: