Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 19   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Mark Cooper  (Read 72838 times)
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Sunday, August 11, 2013, 22:53:45 »

I never thought the football we played under Di Canio was particularly attractive. Very efficient in terms of playing to our strengths and certainly effective but it wasn't that pretty.

Saying that I used to like Sturrock's style so perhaps I'm not the best judge...
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Sunday, August 11, 2013, 22:56:54 »

I would like to wade in on the "style" subject.

It may be early doors, too soon to judge etc.  But...

I agree that the style of football is quite simply the most pleasing on the eye since McMahon's 95/96 team.  That was helped by the budget so you probably do go back to Hoddle.

Others have mentioned times where we played well, played effective football.  I'd agree we can't compare to that yet, but those teams did not play the style of football being seen at the moment.  Wise - great tactics, not great "football" in the style we are seeing now.
Wilson - great team, winning lots, not this style of football
Di Canio - similar to Wise in a way, we played pressure football.

I'm not knocking any of the stuff we put out during those above, but it was nowhere near what we are trying right now.

That is an entirely different conversation to one about which way works best.

The last time I saw a team switch style so dramatically was Macari to Ardiles.  We have had plenty of Managers since whom you could not tell what their "style of play" was.

My question around Cooper is whether or not he is responsible for what we are serving up right now?  If he is, I think it needs applauding for now - too early to say whether it will work out.  It takes a hell of a lot od courage to keep going at it, especially at this level.  We've seen plenty of decent footballers panic and default to the easy option under pressure of getting it forward.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Monday, August 12, 2013, 08:13:37 »

I never thought the football we played under Di Canio was particularly attractive. Very efficient in terms of playing to our strengths and certainly effective but it wasn't that pretty.

Saying that I used to like Sturrock's style so perhaps I'm not the best judge...

In an ideal world, you need to be able to mix it up, a plan A and a plan B....of recentish vintage, probably the best side we had for this was Kingy's Mooney side....a midfield of Igoe, Hewlett (he did a job that season) Migs and Howard, was none too shabby, and with Mooney and Parkin up top could go a bit more direct if required. Parkin's goal at Leeds was a thing of huge sexiness...one of my all time favourites.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Monday, August 12, 2013, 09:03:51 »

In an ideal world, you need to be able to mix it up, a plan A and a plan B....of recentish vintage, probably the best side we had for this was Kingy's Mooney side....a midfield of Igoe, Hewlett (he did a job that season) Migs and Howard, was none too shabby, and with Mooney and Parkin up top could go a bit more direct if required. Parkin's goal at Leeds was a thing of huge sexiness...one of my all time favourites.
Totally agree Reg, Saturday plan A worked for a long time, but when Stevenage switched to their plan B we did seem lost for long periods of the game.  Possibly that is where we need a bit more experience in the centre of midfield to change games back in our favour.
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Monday, August 12, 2013, 09:11:27 »

We clearly changed second half from the 433 to a 41212 with Reis behind Storey and Williams. Reis then was replaced by Harley in that role later on.

I think if you play that way you need someone like Pritchard or Mason behind the forwards, and one forward who can hold up the ball and play with his back to goal a bit, so the personnel limited us a little with our plan B, but with a couple of signings it could work.

THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Monday, August 12, 2013, 09:14:28 »

Read through the posts and some quality viewpoints.

I just think that after two narrow wins its too early to big cooper up as the next Ardiles or Hoddle.

Im not anti Cooper...after all he could of KMacced and fucked off but he's stayed and making a fist of it....i just want someone with a good record at this level....

Clems Army!
Cibocchi_Is_God

The Italian Stallion

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Monday, August 12, 2013, 09:19:03 »

We began to struggle slightly when their striker (Lopez?) started to mark Kasim, our control of possession was surrendered and they managed to get back in the game. Clearly the style that we're going for relies massively on dominating the opposition in terms of possession, so there probably does need to be contingency if we start to surrender the ball too easily in the later parts of games... Perhaps that problem won't arise though when/if we sign a "proper" no.9 who can hold the ball up and relieve the pressure on our midfield.
SwindonOldie

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Monday, August 12, 2013, 09:20:42 »

no betting showing on oddschecker again
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Monday, August 12, 2013, 09:34:35 »

As I think Shaw Rosso said in another thread Cooper has done nothing wrong. There have been no rants in the press, no threats about leaving, no ultimatums, no hissy fits, no walk outs. On top of that he has us playing good football with a misfit of a team.

The proof will come when we are playing on a quagmire of a pitch in the cold and wet against a team of cloggers.

I think Ardilles has it right, the guy deserves a bit of security.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Monday, August 12, 2013, 09:38:22 »

Cooper has had time in pre-seaon and now 3 matches to stamp the way of playing (whether it is 'his way or not) we are going to see this season and from reports, there are flashes of a very good football team being built, in fact if we can bring in 2 decent strikers that can hold up the ball I think we might have a team capable of challenging towards the top half of the table.

I am not sure exactly how long he needs to be given in a 'trial' basis but for continuity sakes, I think it would be a good idea to give him the gig, who is assisting him at the moment out of interest?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Monday, August 12, 2013, 09:46:41 »

If it aint broke don't fix it. We've conceded one goal in three games, and that was by a striker who cost £1.5M in a team who have scored 9 since. Even Stevenage have racked up 5 goals before they came to us.

We're a striker away from being quite an outfit. I think our outdoing this season will be our lack of depth... but I like Cooper. Sensible bloke, always acknowledges the fans, has the team playing decent football and the players clearly respect him. It may all go wrong, but bringing in a new manager is just as risky.
luckyluke699

5 league goals and counting...

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Monday, August 12, 2013, 10:47:42 »

I like him enough that I knocked £20 on him to get the job after the last game. Might come back to bite me in the ar$e but still...

For a manager on a budget, we could do worse. He comes across well to the fans, and the team seems to show glimmers of what might be in the future, so he's got to be worth a 1 year contract + option to extend at this point in the season?

Remember that Paul Hart bloke? He liked building football teams and had a reasonable record... so I could imagine we could do a lot worse than Cooper! ;-)
Victor Mildew

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Monday, August 12, 2013, 12:04:59 »

Would you honestly be happy with anyone appointed by this board?

I'm not sure if your posts have been tongue in cheek but I can't recall you having anything remotely positive to say for months
That's cos he's a cunt
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Monday, August 12, 2013, 17:53:28 »

I know we all hate him now but lets not pretend Di Canio didn't have us playing teams off the park with very good football.
Sunderland fans saying today PDC is calling the new team " His Barcelona " Must be a favourite saying of his !

Not everyone hates him.

He had us playing some brilliant footy while winning matches also.

Been a real good start under Mark Cooper but have to agree with DMR on this one.....best since Hoddle No No

Think the Italian(promised i wouldn't mention his name again) would call it tippy tappy....i like tippy tappy if we are winning matches. Cheesy
nochee

« Reply #59 on: Monday, August 12, 2013, 19:33:08 »

We've only had 3 games for fucks sake, and now he's the new Hoddle? Last month most of you had your pitchforks aimed at the bloke.

What will next months emotion be I wonder?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 19   Go Up
Print
Jump to: