Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Scunthorpe United FC v Swindon Town FC Official Matchday Thread  (Read 40204 times)
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #255 on: Sunday, April 28, 2013, 16:39:03 »

People who haven't moved on from Super Di Canio should fuck off and support Sunderland.
bassett boy

we will overcome

Ignore
« Reply #256 on: Sunday, April 28, 2013, 16:43:05 »

People who haven't moved on from Super Di Canio should fuck off and support Sunderland.

This
It was always going to be when he left not IF
Leaving us mid season was pants
jonah

Ignore
« Reply #257 on: Sunday, April 28, 2013, 17:08:24 »

Although Bournemouth went up (and fair play to them), I smiled as Doncaster clinched the title.

Didn't need the presentation in Tranmere after all.

I was on a stag do Saturday - went to Altrinham v Droylesdon so only catching up on all the drama now. The fact Bmuff lost out on the title has made my day. Cunts.

Incidentally, Altrinham have a player called Damian Reeves, he scored 44 goals last season and is on about 37 goals this season.

Sounds as if he knows where the goal is and could be handy in a higher league?! He's looking for a league club at the moment. I wonder whether we could 'afford' a player like this?

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/damian-reeves-proves-good-goals-1766884

« Last Edit: Sunday, April 28, 2013, 17:19:37 by jonah » Logged

Wiltshire boy born and bred - long in arm thick in 'ead.......
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #258 on: Sunday, April 28, 2013, 19:14:53 »

I see Nathan Bryne fucked up for the third goal yesterday.

He really is a concern defensively but some much needed pace in the backline for Brentford - Wright Phillips and Donaldson destroyed us last month.
dalumpimunki

Ignore
« Reply #259 on: Monday, April 29, 2013, 07:37:40 »

I was curious so I checked our PPG under Di Canio and subsequently and how we'd have ended the season.

Up to the Tranmere game we had a PPG of 1.81.
Subsequently we've had a PPG of 0.87.

PPG of 1.81 would have seen us finish around the 83 point mark, probably enough for the title or auto.
PPG of 0.87 would have yielded approximately 40 points so comfortably below midtable.

You can all draw your own conclusions from that.

Even if that were true, which it isn't as someone has already pointed out, it's so simplistic as to be utterly fucking useless as a stat.

It's seeking to draw a conclusion on a causal link between two things without considering any other factors. Important little things like:

- The players available during the two periods being compared (or are we in the DV fantasy world where if PDC had stayed all would have been well with the world, Ritchie would magically have returned on loan from Muff, the loan players that were sent back at the end of January would have been brought back and the 7/8 first teamers that have gone on the injury list would have all been fine?)
- The opposition faced - if you check 7 of our last 10/11 games were away to top 10 sides. We picked up 9 points from those games. Dicanio would have dome better? Well he hardly set the world on fire against those 7 teams at home, a return of 12 points.

There's a whole thread that I posted about this so I won't repeat it all but this is exactly the kind of simple minded comparison that made me post it in the first place.

Frankly I thought you were brighter than this?

..never go back.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #260 on: Monday, April 29, 2013, 07:56:25 »

I was on a stag do Saturday - went to Altrinham v Droylesdon so only catching up on all the drama now. The fact Bmuff lost out on the title has made my day. Cunts.

Incidentally, Altrinham have a player called Damian Reeves, he scored 44 goals last season and is on about 37 goals this season.

Sounds as if he knows where the goal is and could be handy in a higher league?! He's looking for a league club at the moment. I wonder whether we could 'afford' a player like this?

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/damian-reeves-proves-good-goals-1766884

I don't know where Altrincham is, but doesn't sound much of a stag venue! Ah, I see your link to the MEN, so I presume the stag was in Manchester!

I was also at a stag in Cologne and went to watch Cologne v 1860 Munich yesterday. The game finished 1-1 but as we were right next to the Munich fans, I sat and watched them most of the game. The atmosphere they generate is incredible, non-stop singing for 90 minutes on a terrace. The 'conductors' at the front, barely watch the game trying to generate an atmosphere, its some sight. Munich were terrible but their players must have got a right lift from it as they got an equaliser towards the end and could have won the match, even though Cologne were much the better team.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
bevanoli

Ignore
« Reply #261 on: Monday, April 29, 2013, 08:43:10 »

Here are some of the scenes recorded by a scunny fan.. Shocking scenes!

There were two couples next to me, both of the guys had brought their Mrs' and they were scared shitless!

Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #262 on: Monday, April 29, 2013, 08:49:31 »

I've never really understood the need for all of this. Maybe I'm just a big wimp, but I've never got any pleasure is shouting obscenities, pretending to be a toughie, fighting with people or scaring people to death. Each to their own I guess.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #263 on: Monday, April 29, 2013, 08:50:18 »

Even if that were true, which it isn't as someone has already pointed out, it's so simplistic as to be utterly fucking useless as a stat.

It's seeking to draw a conclusion on a causal link between two things without considering any other factors. Important little things like:

- The players available during the two periods being compared (or are we in the DV fantasy world where if PDC had stayed all would have been well with the world, Ritchie would magically have returned on loan from Muff, the loan players that were sent back at the end of January would have been brought back and the 7/8 first teamers that have gone on the injury list would have all been fine?)
- The opposition faced - if you check 7 of our last 10/11 games were away to top 10 sides. We picked up 9 points from those games. Dicanio would have dome better? Well he hardly set the world on fire against those 7 teams at home, a return of 12 points.

There's a whole thread that I posted about this so I won't repeat it all but this is exactly the kind of simple minded comparison that made me post it in the first place.

Uncalled for. 

I'd imagine many people are of the opinion, that had PdC been manager, there's no way we'd have conceded 3 in the last few mins to a side who knew they were down, especially when there were potential advantages to us winning te game.

sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #264 on: Monday, April 29, 2013, 09:14:26 »

I don't think it proves anything (even with the maths corrected Smiley). I noticed a few people had mentioned in the thread that PDC staying would have meant auto-promotion and wanted to see the projected totals.

But thanks for the kind words.
DMR

« Reply #265 on: Monday, April 29, 2013, 09:17:05 »

You really are such a cunt.

If you really think we are equally well off or even better off now than we were under PDC then you are more of an insufferable pillock than already established.
« Last Edit: Monday, April 29, 2013, 09:23:57 by DMR » Logged
mrverve

Ignore
« Reply #266 on: Monday, April 29, 2013, 09:30:28 »

We wouldn't have conceded 3 goals in the last 10 minutes under Di Canio, not a chance.

Kmac needs time to build his own team, we need to get behind him and the players.

I will reserve my judgement on him after the first 10-15 games of next season at the earliest.  
« Last Edit: Monday, April 29, 2013, 09:32:22 by mrverve » Logged
FormerlyPlymRed

Ignore
« Reply #267 on: Monday, April 29, 2013, 09:34:50 »

Not sure if its been mentioned but we have finished with the 2nd best attack (72 goals) and the best defence (39 goals) with a GD of +33. I doubt many teams have those statistics and still manage to only finish in 6th!
dalumpimunki

Ignore
« Reply #268 on: Monday, April 29, 2013, 10:08:20 »

Uncalled for. 
I'd imagine many people are of the opinion, that had PdC been manager, there's no way we'd have conceded 3 in the last few mins to a side who knew they were down, especially when there were potential advantages to us winning te game.

Oh for fuck sake! What is your point here Reg?

Sonic's post while being in the Scunthorpe thread wasn't directly about that game. In fact it makes no reference to that game whatsoever, so neither do I.  

Sonic makes a general point about performance over the period prior to and after PDC left. He implied that the difference in the points per game accrued over 3/4's of a season and over the last dozen games was about the change in manager. I have some serious doubts about that as there have been so many other factors to take into account, as posted several times before.

Your reply neatly avoids the issues that I actually posted about. So be honest. Do you really think that in the circumstances that he would have been operating in; reduced squad, increasing injury list, transfer embargo, difficult  fixture list in the run in, PDC would have managed to maintain the kind of points per game average that he'd built up over the rest of the season?
(Even if he had do you think he had some sort of magic power that would have prevented Bournemouth averaging 2.7 points per game for their final 9 games of the season?)  

As to whether the Scunthorpe result would have happened under PDC who the fuck knows? Fear of him might have kept the players more focused, but equally he could have fucking lost it during the pitch invasion, decked a Scunny fan and got himself sent to the stands,  or he could have urged the players to fight to the last, resulting in a key player getting injured. I have no frigging idea and frankly neither do you. From the way you talk it's as if we never lost an away game to a shit side under DiCanio, and we all know that's not true.

You seem to think that result is important, and I'm not sure I do. Play off place secure, opposition fans and players in a frenzy, I'm just happy that we got out of the game intact and with everyone still available for the play offs. Fuck the result of a pretty meaningless game.

..never go back.
dalumpimunki

Ignore
« Reply #269 on: Monday, April 29, 2013, 10:12:41 »

Not sure if its been mentioned but we have finished with the 2nd best attack (72 goals) and the best defence (39 goals) with a GD of +33. I doubt many teams have those statistics and still manage to only finish in 6th!

When you look at the results over the season, that seems to be because we've properly hammered a lot of not very good sides, (as well as a couple of decent ones in Tranmere, and Muff), but haven't done that great home or away against most of the top sides. That's cost us in the end.

..never go back.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22   Go Up
Print
Jump to: