Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 22   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Scunthorpe United FC v Swindon Town FC Official Matchday Thread  (Read 40018 times)
Shaw Rosso

Ignore
« on: Friday, April 26, 2013, 23:01:14 »

The opponent:  Scunthorpe United

Here we are the last regular game of the season which for me has gone as fast as any season I can remember. There have been some up’s. Portsmouth away springs to mind, Tranmere too, even Shrewsbury and their pwoper nawty lads was fun. At home, the run over the festive period springs to mind and a couple of other quick to forget wins. The downs?  Where would I start? Well I won’t. We will all have our own opinions of where it all went wrong, what could have been done differently and whose fault everything is. To be honest I am not too sure  it did go wrong. Yes, everything could have been done so much differently but at the start of the season I would have taken the play offs with a game to spare every day of the week. What happens in the next few weeks could make us or break us some say, who knows, but either way, if the last 9 or so months is anything to go by then the play offs should be another rollercoaster of emotions!

Scunthorpe, named in 2005 as the British town with the most unattractive name, are today’s hosts. Scunthorpe was close to the epicentre (this was centred at Ludford, near Louth) of one of the largest earthquakes experienced in the British Isles on 27 February 2008, with a magnitude of 5.2. Significant shocks were felt in Scunthorpe and the surrounding North Lincolnshire area. The main 10-second quake, which struck at 00:56 GMT at a depth of 9.6 mi (15.4 km), was the biggest recorded example since one with a magnitude of 5.4 struck north Wales in 1984. This is allegedly the most exciting thing to have ever happened in the history of North Lincolnshire.

One of the most famous sons to ever claim Scunthorpe as their home is former the England manager and pundit Graham Taylor. Other fairly well known faces from the area are Buzzcocks guitarist Howard Devoto, Golfer Tony Jacklin and all round annoying late night talk show host, Ian Collins.

What are they saying about us? –

re: Swindon will field strong side
“We have 8 first team players who are garbage,so guess it's anyone's game..”

http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=460&fid=12&sty=2&act=1&mid=2112834068

Scunthorpe Last 6 –  WLLDWL (Currently 21st in League 1, needing victory today to have any hope of survival).

The Threat – Karl Hawley is about all they have with 10 goals in 39 games. I think the main threat they are likely to possess today is the willpower they have to get the 3 points that they need to give themselves even the slightest chance of survival.

The irrelevant stats – The Irons home form plays a large part in the position they currently find themselves in. In the 22 times they have played at Glanford Park this season they have won 6, drawn 6 and lost 10.

A Warm Welcome To – Left back Callum Kennedy (how much better has his replacement been?) signed for Scunthorpe when we released him last month.

Head to Head – In the 19 previous encounters between us, we have won 7, drawn 7 and lost 5.

The Odds –  Scunthorpe 9/5  Draw 5/2   Swindon 13/8 There could be some goals in this, even if we are playing Curly Withers and Don Rogers upfront. 2-2 looks good at 16-1. All odds from Bet Victor.

The Son Says – Once I explained to him the importance of a win for Scunthorpe he decided we would win 3-0.

The Prediction –  Ok, we have made the play offs so what kind of a team will we put out? Injuries will obviously play a big part in KMac’s selections but I still think we will have enough to win 2-1.

And Finally – In 1996 there was controversy when AOL's obscenity filter (among others) refused to accept the name of the town due to its inclusion of the embedded word CUNT, which the filter rejected as obscene. Some online forums such as Ultimate Guitar forums (which has recently been resolved) display the name as S****horpe, while Fark.com would display it as Scoonthorpe. This form of censorship overreach is known in the computing world as the Scunthorpe problem 

COYR COYR COYR
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday, April 26, 2013, 23:04:48 »

Good reporting as ever SR, enjoyed the matchday threads this season! I think we'll send them down and win 3-1, in front of 5,492 with 600 Town fans (despite their £5 a ticket they don't really have much chance of staying up I don't think!) Goals from Williams (2) and Rooney A, C.O.Y.R!!!

#VivaKenBarlow!
Fred Elliot
I REST MY FUCKING CASE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Friday, April 26, 2013, 23:06:36 »

A Warm Welcome To – Left back Callum Kennedy (how much better has his replacement been?) signed for Scunthorpe when we released him last month.

Oops

2 - 0 us
Shaw Rosso

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Friday, April 26, 2013, 23:08:36 »

Oops

2 - 0 us

Well spotted. Its been a long season Fred  Sad
Fred Elliot
I REST MY FUCKING CASE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Friday, April 26, 2013, 23:10:04 »

Well spotted. Its been a long season Fred  Sad

True

Still a good read though mate
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Friday, April 26, 2013, 23:15:00 »

I liked Kennedy a lot. Quite annoyed we just let him go. Always thought he was better than Jaymac.

If we field a first team,first I'll be infuriated with Kmac, and then go for a 2-0 win.

If we field our 'reserves' (yoof and low-appearance first-teamers), could well be a 2-0 for the Scunts. Depends how bad our lads want it as opposed to just enjoying the run-out.
Spud

« Reply #6 on: Saturday, April 27, 2013, 00:30:45 »

2-2
london_red

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, April 27, 2013, 03:12:48 »

1-2

(kennedy; williams, devera)

Guaranteed Kennedy will score if he plays. Hoping we can win and get a home tie for the second leg of the playoffs.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, April 27, 2013, 07:00:39 »

This game is massive, only maximum points will do.

http://thetownend.com/samdygray/PredictionLeague/
brocklesby red

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, April 27, 2013, 08:05:54 »

Scunthorpes main threat will be set pieces ala Doncaster,Cut out the silly mistakes and we'll win 4-1 no matter what team we put out,would like io see Conor Walden get 20 or 30 mins, looked good last week
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, April 27, 2013, 08:36:25 »

0-0.  Despite something to play for in terms of positioning within the playoffs this is just a game to get over and done with.

More interested in the bottom of League 2 this afternoon TBH

sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, April 27, 2013, 08:50:14 »

Scunthorpe need to win in order to have any chance of staying up and we'll no doubt rest up a bit (and wisely so) then I predict a scrappy 1-0 defeat.
Flashheart

« Reply #12 on: Saturday, April 27, 2013, 09:01:54 »

Must win game
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, April 27, 2013, 09:35:28 »

Well today is a gosh darn toughy.

Beat Scunthorpe and we play a team in the P-O's of similar ability to us (over a season).

Lose to Scunthorpe and we play a team in the P-O's of similar ability to us (over a season)... and possibly send Colchester down in the process.

I'm opting to lay back with my mind on my money and my money on my mind.

[url width=253 height=287]http://gifs.gifbin.com/042010/1271419049_snoop-dogg-morphing.gif[/url]
dporter

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, April 27, 2013, 09:51:28 »

First game this season that I'm really not fussed on the result even though i'm enroute to the game. Would like a win but also feel we could do Scunny a favour by losing. Either way want us to be at home for the first leg of the play offs.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 22   Go Up
Print
Jump to: