Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekend trip to Paris.  (Read 7517 times)
ScillyRed

« Reply #60 on: Tuesday, December 4, 2012, 20:58:35 »

Survived our trip intact but too knackered from my Wife's tour schedule to go out after dark.

There are large gangs of North Africans selling a variety of tat at major sightseeing spots which we suspected lead to pickpocketing once they have distracted you. They run away en masse at the sight of the police. There were also groups of women going around with what looked like sponsor forms - have no idea what that was ! The other 'con' is that they drop what looks like a gold ring behind or in front of you and ask if you have lost it - when you say no they say they can't take it to the police as they have no papers - suggest you keep it and give them money 'for a coffee' - the first time we gave someone a couple of coins to get rid of him but he got arsy wanting notes - after that we just laughed - some of them were very amateur !

This has been your latest Crimewatch Paris report.  Busted
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday, December 4, 2012, 21:17:06 »

Ah, the looky-looky guys. It's funny when the police turn up and they all leg it. Most of them have their wares laid out on a cloth that has a drawstring to enable a quick getaway.

Back in the 90s when laser pens were all the rage, on a trip to the Eiffel tower one of them offered me ten laser pens in exchange for my personal CD player he spied in my pocket. I declined.
Dostoyevsky

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday, December 4, 2012, 21:19:49 »

Survived our trip intact but too knackered from my Wife's tour schedule to go out after dark.

There are large gangs of North Africans selling a variety of tat at major sightseeing spots which we suspected lead to pickpocketing once they have distracted you. They run away en masse at the sight of the police. There were also groups of women going around with what looked like sponsor forms - have no idea what that was ! The other 'con' is that they drop what looks like a gold ring behind or in front of you and ask if you have lost it - when you say no they say they can't take it to the police as they have no papers - suggest you keep it and give them money 'for a coffee' - the first time we gave someone a couple of coins to get rid of him but he got arsy wanting notes - after that we just laughed - some of them were very amateur !

This has been your latest Crimewatch Paris report.  Busted

Barcelona is awful for pickpocketing, got divested of my wallet whilst getting onto a bus. Some guy had quite obviously brushed past me moments before. Various tourists that I encountered in the Catalan city angrily recounted similiar scenarios that had happened to them and vowed never to return. Shame, because Barcelona's otherwise a great city!

I've heard that the preying upon of tourists by thieving gangs is even worse in Sevilla.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, December 4, 2012, 21:30:07 by Dostoyevsky » Logged
Forza_Swindon

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday, December 5, 2012, 10:03:12 »

This has been your latest Crimewatch Paris report.  Busted

A pickpocket once tried to rummage around in my Mum's handbag when my folks were waiting for the Metro... She felt the slightest movement and being particularly sensitive about this threat had a look over her shoulder... Lo and behold there was a teenager trying to nick something.  He got an earful and a couple of whacks around the head with said handbag.  Which was rather large (and full)!  I missed the whole thing because I was doing a stupid Uni class.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #64 on: Wednesday, December 5, 2012, 12:42:59 »

Anyone who talks to looky looky men or gets pickpocketed deserves it. Have some nouse people.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: