Pages: 1 ... 337 338 339 [340] 341 342 343 ... 474   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Whats wrong with football?  (Read 1648355 times)
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #5085 on: Wednesday, December 9, 2020, 13:18:52 »

Someone I know asked a woman in a shop why she wasn't wearing a mask, she got accused of being racist. Go figure. To be honest I wouldn't have asked the question in the first place.
Flashheart

« Reply #5086 on: Wednesday, December 9, 2020, 13:20:53 »

As you say, of course context needs to be applied.

Right.

Scroll through this thread and you will see numerous times the same thing has been repeated, to which people reading it are just going to say - fuck off. Because it is unreasonable and makes no sense. It also plays right into the hands of people who are looking for a lack of reason in such discussions. **Oh, those lefties say we have to believe x**

This is something that people making such statements need to qualify because it will get under peoples' skin otherwise. And yes, it does need qualifying. It is not obvious. The general tone of this discussion from many has been that context is not relevant.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #5087 on: Wednesday, December 9, 2020, 13:22:07 »

If you don't agree then fuck off  Smiley
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #5088 on: Wednesday, December 9, 2020, 13:24:30 »

Right.

Scroll through this thread and you will see numerous times the same thing has been repeated, to which people reading it are just going to say - fuck off. Because it is unreasonable and makes no sense. It also plays right into the hands of people who are looking for a lack of reason in such discussions. **Oh, those lefties say we have to believe x**

This is something that people making such statements need to qualify because it will get under peoples' skin otherwise. And yes, it does need qualifying. It is not obvious. The general tone of this discussion from many has been that context is not relevant.
Fair enough. If I implied that context isn't relevant I certainly didn't mean to.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #5089 on: Wednesday, December 9, 2020, 13:48:08 »

The more direct approach to dealing with the issue.... https://twitter.com/bankruptspurs/status/1336432556632395776?s=20
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #5090 on: Wednesday, December 9, 2020, 13:50:10 »

There's a belief in some corners of the internet that white people cannot be racially abused  but in real life this is patently untrue

At school a fellow pupil once called me a nazi and the grandson of Hitler or something of that nature. That sort of shite didn't bother me really because it is tiresome, unoriginal stuff that I had heard before, so I ignored it. I did ask the teacher though why she chose to ignore the clearly racist comments directly at me and she said it was not racist.

I come from a land down-under
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #5091 on: Wednesday, December 9, 2020, 17:21:21 »

john barnes

Its NOT racist to describe the offender as the black one! We are telling people to call us black.. he  doesnt know his name there are 6/7 coaches standing together all turkish  .. 1 is to be sent off , the ref says which one THE BLACK ONE what else can he say to let the ref know?

carlton cole

f you’re trying to describe someone and you have a bunch of white people in front of you and there’s only one black person and I’m asked ‘Which one was it?’ All of a sudden, I’d probably say ‘the black guy’ because that’s the most obvious thing to say”, the former West Ham and Chelsea striker told Wednesday’s talkSPORT Breakfast.

trevor sinclair

“For me, the term used I don’t find derogatory, but it shows how very sensitive race is at the moment,” he said.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, December 9, 2020, 17:23:53 by singingiiiffy » Logged
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #5092 on: Wednesday, December 9, 2020, 17:42:25 »

3 people not finding an issue with what happened yesterday doesn't invalidate the discussion or potential for offence

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #5093 on: Wednesday, December 9, 2020, 18:11:26 »

3 people not finding an issue with what happened yesterday doesn't invalidate the discussion or potential for offence

So you're offended and these 3 aren't?

An earlier post from PaulD

quote author=pauld link=topic=49726.msg1587040#msg1587040 date=1607514672]
How about "Nothing is going to happen until people who are not the primary victims of racism stop trying to explain to people who are continually affected by racism in their daily lives what is and isn't racist"?
[/quote]

« Last Edit: Wednesday, December 9, 2020, 18:28:57 by 4D » Logged
Hunk

« Reply #5094 on: Wednesday, December 9, 2020, 18:21:12 »

I think the intention was to add to the discussion. Not invalidate it
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #5095 on: Wednesday, December 9, 2020, 18:42:30 »

So you're offended and these 3 aren't?
I challenge you to find where I said i was offended in my reply Smiley

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #5096 on: Wednesday, December 9, 2020, 18:44:08 »

I think the intention was to add to the discussion. Not invalidate it
I apologise all round if that's the case.
I think what this thread is showing is that it's incredibly hard to have this conversation over t'internet.

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
Hunk

« Reply #5097 on: Wednesday, December 9, 2020, 18:54:41 »

I apologise all round if that's the case.
I think what this thread is showing is that it's incredibly hard to have this conversation over t'internet.

No apology necessary. I agree that its very tough to talk about this kind of subject online.

Over the first lockdown I had a discussion over Zoom with a black friend who was very much a BLM supporter (I am not) and the ease with which we sorted through our differences was staggering compared to how difficult it is online. There was no talking over or past each other and we didn't feel the need to justify our own biases or preconceptions although we both acknowledged we had them. We just talked it out. Very difficult to do that online. Still, if everyone is keen to have a proper chat, its still possible via this medium. Just less likely, I think

Nb. I realise that Zoom is online too, I hope it's obvious I mean that the fact that we could see each other and talk in real time is what made it easier 
« Last Edit: Wednesday, December 9, 2020, 18:58:50 by Hunk » Logged
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #5098 on: Wednesday, December 9, 2020, 19:08:58 »

Group Hug
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #5099 on: Wednesday, December 9, 2020, 19:11:08 »

Especially a group of middle aged white men, are there actually any BAME members of this forum?
Pages: 1 ... 337 338 339 [340] 341 342 343 ... 474   Go Up
Print
Jump to: