Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 ... 51   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Stoke City Vs Swindon Town Official Matchday Thread  (Read 70481 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #630 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 12:20:43 »

Any word about Jay McEverely's injury last night yet?

We are very lacking at Left Back cover if he is out for a few games.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #631 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 12:26:04 »

Apparently he tweeted that he's ok, so shouldn't be out long, if at all.
Flashheart

« Reply #632 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 12:26:12 »

He tweeted not long after the match to say he was fine.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #633 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 12:33:21 »

Excellent!

4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #634 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 12:41:21 »

I guess many teams don't like us, another Swindon based thread on the Bristhole Shitty forum with some good and some very bad comments about us.

http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/148432-swindon/

I am guessing STFC Rich is Mr Costanza.

Ha! So many pot and kettle comments in there - I always thought of them as fickle city. By the way, OTIB? I wonder when that title will have to be passed over to Rovers (couple of years?)  Smiley
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #635 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 12:47:18 »

As JJE says, there are plenty of compliments on there to balance the bitter comments.  There's a tendency among some fans to make exaggerated generalisations about the fans of other clubs, but the truth is that in the main we're all pretty much the same.  I didn't think there was anything on that Bristol City thread that was particularly out of order...other, maybe, that this...

Hate the club. Horrible arrogant little fans, manager is not much different, pundits have always had a slight obsession with them!
As I live in Wiltshire, as a few may do on here I really cannot stand seeing them doing well because all the fans come out of the closet then.

which got this reply...

I couldnt disagree with you more.

Am living in Swindon at the moment, as got married to a girl who lives in Swindon last year.

She has a number of friends who are die hard Swindon fans and they are all really nice friendly people.  We certainly have a good bit of banter but cannot really say a bad word against them.

Bile-ridden comments usually say much more about the person making the comment than the people the comment addresses.  Similarly, anyone stupid enough to make generalisations about an entire fan base numbering thousands of people - and believe them - isn't really worth listening to in the first place.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 12:54:11 by Ardiles » Logged
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #636 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 12:56:23 »

Mostly by that turnip fella. It's probably because I grew up watching HTV West Sport (BCFC sports central)
Peter Venkman

« Reply #637 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 13:01:50 »

What I like about it all is that fans of other clubs generally see Paolo in either black or white, they either love him and his antics or hate him and dislike everything he comes with.

I have never seen a comment on any other clubs forums that says "yeah Di Canio hes a bit meh, take him or leave him"

And probably 99% of those saying they hate Paolo would not be saying the same if he was at their club bringing them success.

But he isn't...he is ours....I hope we can hold onto him for a long time yet.

TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #638 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 13:04:36 »

Just read this thread from start to finish....great reading.

Probably one of the best games ever watching Swindon last night.
It was mental when Collins scored the winner.

Unbelievable Jeff  Cheesy
kerry red

« Reply #639 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 13:13:32 »

Not that I agree with the 'arrogant' comments bandied about by some fans about us, but surely fans of ANY club such as ours (i.e. usually mediocre) are entitled to a bit of chest thumping on the odd occasion when times are good.

And it really is a bit rich coming from that BCFC forum when their numbnuts are expecting to reach the PL on the back of their first 3 results (1 of which they lost).

4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #640 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 13:17:32 »

Bile-ridden comments usually say much more about the person making the comment than the people the comment addresses.  

It's the planks who post ridiculous things like "plastic fans", "not really a real football town", "I hope the club folds" that annoy me. What a bunch of twats.

Plastic fans? - You need to go down the road a bit with that one.
Not really a real football town? - The club is older than yours, with a traditional stadium right in the town centre.
I hope the club folds? - Says it all really!

Fishing.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #641 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 13:40:24 »

Girl Giggle The one named after a Man City player  Doh is now moaning about Swindon fans in Trowbridge supporting Man U. Costanza will hit the roof.

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #642 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 14:14:45 »

Finally back from Chalke (Stoke) Travelodge. Parked next to another town fan, hello whoever you are.

The monkey place was good.

Saw TalkTalk in the Stoke Harvester, maybe he kicked off the trouble with his machete Smiley

Anyway what a night. Got to the ground just after 7, one section was already full and one was getting there. It was pretty obvious they'd not predicted such a big walk up crowd. So for the first few minutes were spent with the faithful walking along the front row of our block to get beyond the Bet 365 banner. Thankfully they opened up the overspill section properly and the Bet 365 banner took a battering after one of our goals.

What a first half, the expected chalk and cheese style clash was evident. Ours was to try an keep the ball, pass it and damage them with movement and pressure. Theirs was get it wide and wang it into the box. And to be fair we were let of a couple of times as Jones and other striker wasted golden chances. Maybe it was to be out night.

As the half went on we looked pretty good with out passing game. We were working pretty hard too to try and limit crosses into the box. Jones is a bloody beast, far more of a physical handful than say Crouch, but thankfully their front two didn't click at all.

The same can not be said for ours. They were hasteling, harrying and giving Upson (21 England caps) and his partner a torrid time. Signal-1 the local Stoke station picked it up on their post match analysis - that we kept the ball and played it with purpose - we hassled them all over while Stoke went too long in an aimless way.

I guess you've heard and or seen the goals by now, but we were a tad fortunate thanks to Sørensen on the first. In fact Sorensen had a mare in goal. Not only did he give us the first, but also nearly got charged down a couple of times, had dodgy kicking and was generally a bit crap (Wes kicking wasn't 100% yesterday either, but his were 'out of play' miskicks rather than anything dangerous).

So while Stoke will point to missed opportunities we should really have had more than the two at half time. Another highlight of the night was the chap in the front row of the overflow section, celebrated our first goal and accidentally hit his girlfriend in the kisser.

After the break the home side started to pressure more. They scored after about 60 minutes (?) and then we were under increasing pressure. It wasn't backs to the wall exactly but you could feel it coming. That said we had a couple of our own - De Vita's only miss-controlled ball was one that with a better first touch would have seen him with a shot on goal. William shot when he should have crossed and crossed when he should have shot has already been mentioned (or was it Collins?!).

In any case, on came the big guns, and the equaliser 5 minutes from time and seemingly our chance had gone. The Stoke fans woke up a bit, mainly to mimic PDCs arm waving and I think met with chants of "Are you Wenger in disguise".

The full time whistle was a relief, we were under the cosh and had made it to extra time. I didn't fancy our chances but I'd go home with my head held high and a smile on my face. Proud of the effort.

But that's not what happened exactly. Flint went and scored from a corner. And Karma paid a visit as I bent down to hug my son he jumped up and whacked me in the jaw with the top of his head. The bruise is appearing now.

I was confident we would hold out now. Especially when Stoke went down to 10 after an injury to one of their players having used all three subs. Our passing game returned and we looked dangerous as we used the space.

But no, a breakaway from Walters and a peach of a cross to Freak made it 3-3. Someone a couple of rows behind half mentioned it looked like Wes could have done better. I don't think so myself, just a quality goal. Oh well, the lotteries of penalties will be no disgrace.

Except it wasn't pens. McEverly was sparked out following a clash of heads. On came Thomson. A lot to ask for a young man. Except he was a young man possessed - I can pay no greater compliment than to say I am not sure what else he could do to play better in his cameo.

I'll be honest, the winner is a bit of a blur. I think Ritchie was in there, and the ball got to the far post, and the hapless Sorensen flapped at it but it was in. And that sent me celebrating like, well like when Macca scored the last minute winner at Nothampton on Boxing day. And that was the end of the match.

Except it wasn't. The bastard ref slowed down time and we had to survive two Stoke corners, the latter with the keeper up. I got flashbacks of Robinson at Leeds. Thankfully we survived. Unlike Stoke.

I'm not going to do player ratings. I though Ritchie showed he can step up a league. I thought the front two were tireless and superb. I thought everybody else had great games, Devera stepping into right back did really well (wish he was a bit quicker, thats all Smiley). I can see that if DiCanio's "way" means this kind of performance more often then I should shut the fuck up about Caddis.

reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #643 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 14:57:39 »

Agree with the comment about Thompson - I know he only came on late but he had a fantastic game. He put in one or two brilliant, strong tackles and picked up good positions going forward too. If he can keep that up he'll get a run in the side some time this season.
bigbobjoylove

Ignore
« Reply #644 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 14:58:46 »

Great write-up, Batch.

Any fan clips knocking about yet?
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 ... 51   Go Up
Print
Jump to: