Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 13   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: We've not had a religious debate on here for a while...  (Read 20052 times)
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 22:18:53 »

I think the average religious person, the sheep for want of a better word, tries to live their lives in a good way and respects others. Frankly a lot of ordinary religious people do a lot of good and we shouldn't lose sight of that.

Its the organisation itself, or parts of it, and the extremists of course that I have issues with.

Agree with that, althought I think your treatment of the C of E is very harsh. Yes, they own a lot of land, but if they got rid of it they'd be in a mess and it would ruin everything they are trying to achieve. And as for the catholic-lite comment, I can totally understand where that comes from, but it's worth remembering that the C of E contains people right through from the wishy-washy liberal left to the hardline conservative right, including many bishops, vicars and parishioners who aren't overtly in favour of the way the church is run on the meta scale.

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 22:23:23 »

There are loads of gods worshipped by different religions, even if there is a god they cannot all be god can they? too many flaws with religions to take any seriously.
« Last Edit: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 22:26:39 by arriba » Logged
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 22:26:30 »

George Wald, evolutionist, American scientist and Nobel Prize:

"When it comes to the origin of life on this earth, there are only two possibilities: creation or spontaneous generation (evolution). There is no third way. Spontaneous generation was disproved 100 years ago, but that leads us only to one other conclusion: that of supernatural creation. We cannot accept that on philosophical grounds (personal reasons); therefore, we choose to believe the impossible: that life arose spontaneously by chance." George Wald, winner of the 1967 Nobel Peace Prize in Science, in Lindsay, Dennis, "The Dinosaur Dilemma," Christ for the Nations, Vol. 35, No. 8, November 1982, pp. 4-5, 14.

"When it comes to the origin of life, we have only two possibilities as to how life arose. One is spontaneous generation arising to evolution; the other is a supernatural creative act of God. There is no third possibility...Spontaneous generation was scientifically disproved one hundred years ago by Louis Pasteur, Spellanzani, Reddy and others. That leads us scientifically to only one possible conclusion -- that life arose as a supernatural creative act of God...I will not accept that philosophically because I do not want to believe in God. Therefore, I choose to believe in that which I know is scientifically impossible, spontaneous generation arising to evolution." - Scientific American, August, 1954.

George Wald, an evolutionist, states, "When it comes to the origin of life there are only two possibilities: creation or spontaneous generation. There is no third way. Spontaneous generation was disproved one hundred years ago, but that leads us to only one other conclusion, that of supernatural creation. We cannot accept that on philosophical grounds; therefore, we choose to believe the impossible: that life arose spontaneously by chance!" ("The Origin of Life," Scientific American, 191:48. May 1954).

Unfortunately, that is the attitude of the majority of scientists these days. Belief in something that they know is impossible yet persevere in their belief because they can't bring themselves to accept the alternative.

The fool says in his heart "there is no God".
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 22:31:24 »

There are loads of gods worshipped by different religions, even if there is a god they cannot all be god can they? too many flaws with religions to take any seriously.
No, there's only one God. What are the "flaws" in God that you are thinking of?

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 22:36:22 »

No, there's only one God. What are the "flaws" in God that you are thinking of?
I said religions are flawed. The constant changes they make to suit their religions when presented with evidence-changes in the world for starters. If there is one god, which one is it? There are over 2000 to choose from.
Barry Scott

« Reply #80 on: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 22:38:04 »

I said religions are flawed. The constant changes they make to suit their religions when presented with evidence-changes in the world for starters. If there is one god, which one is it? There are over 2000 to choose from.

Well said.

"We're all atheists in the eyes of another religion, only some of us go one god further."
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 22:42:20 »

I guess it depends what you mean by flawed. If you mean no religious group know the answer to every question, then yes. But religion isn't supposed to answer every question, it's supposed to tell you who God is and who man is in relation to him. So, for example, the fact that the church (along with society at large) had to accept the earth wasn't the centre of the universe all those years ago didn't change the fundamentals of its teaching. They got something wrong, but that in itself doesn't mean the religion was flawed...
deltaincline

« Reply #82 on: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 22:42:42 »

deltaincline

« Reply #83 on: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 22:51:20 »

I don't want to be rude to you again, Reevsey, but can you please offer up some evidence that your particular god exists, or at some point actually existed?

Huwwy

"The world is my lobster"

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 22:53:17 »

I didn't say they don't exist I said I don't believe in them because of it. I can't say whether they exist or not, no one can. I seriously doubt it as no one has provided me with sufficient evidence but they may do.

I will always question why god chose the mostly illiterate middle east to send his messengers though.

Good point. And why did it take God 13 Billion years to send his son down here to have a word with us? I've heard of being lazy but that's just taking the piss!
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 22:57:22 »

I don't want to be rude to you again, Reevsey, but can you please offer up some evidence that your particular god exists, or at some point actually existed?

I've been trying to avoid sending this thread off down a 'my belief is better than yours' type tangent - it's happened numerous times on here and always ends up being a bit pathetic. It's been good to see people discussing a variety of topics.

In response to your request, I'm not really sure what evidence would ever prove or disprove the existence of God outright, and I don't buy the idea that either side has a burden of proof. The reason I believe what I do is that after a few years studying the Bible I came to believe the testimonies to the resurrection of Jesus. If they are true then it blows everything else out of the water. If they're not, then obviously it makes no sense to be a Christian from any point of view.
deltaincline

« Reply #86 on: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 23:13:55 »

I believe what I do is that after a few years studying the Bible I came to believe the testimonies to the resurrection of Jesus.

Fair enough. Your religion is your business. I respect that - even though I'm the polar opposite.

But I don't understand why you (believers) feel the need to spread the word about something that is purely faith / belief based.

By your own admission, there is no evidence.

Why bother trying to convince people of the crdibility of something that has so many holes in it?

Coca Fola

« Reply #87 on: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 23:20:59 »

I'm not religious but I pretend to be when I'm in Bosnia to conform to my grandparents' expectations of me. I can't say one way or the other if there is a god or not but what I do know is that religion/faith is needed in poorer countries, it's pretty much the only hope they have in their lives.
bigbobjoylove

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 23:36:18 »

If there is a god, he's a bit of a fuckwit isn't he? Like that tsunami in 2004 which killed 230,000 people for the crime of living in a certain region of earth. Was he having a bad day at the time?

Not the sort of fella to be getting down on your knees and praying for.
SirWinston

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: Friday, July 20, 2012, 06:28:59 »

Where did the god that created The Big Bang come from?  Was he created by another god in a previous big bang?  And what about that one?  Where did he (or she) come from?.....

I grew up as an unquestioning Christian in an unquestioning Christian house and eventually evolved into an apathetic atheist.

I do think that any God that would create humans and then tell them that they are all damned to an eternity of pain and suffering if they don't dedicate their lives to worshipping him is a vain and vicious one though!!

I do love The Big Bang Theory.  Sheldon Cooper is legendary and Penny is fit!!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 13   Go Up
Print
Jump to: