Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 13   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: We've not had a religious debate on here for a while...  (Read 20009 times)
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 12:17:52 »

Detracting from the topic slightly, I don't understand why religion is still taught in schools. I can see that it gives children/young adults an insight into faiths/beliefs other than their own, which you would think would lead to better appreciation of faiths (although society suggests it doesn't), but what value does it add to a person's academic career? Apart from those that are humanities based, what qualifications have religious studies as a default requirement?

I think you're missing the point. It's not about me as an individual in my career, it's about the functioning of society. If we remain ignorant of people's faiths and thus their worldviews, how can we ever engage in serious philosophical ar even political debate when we can't understand where they're coming from?

But even from the individualist, career-focused perspective, there are benefits. When little Billy is a manager in a MNC based in London, the majority of his staff are going to be from other cultures, and many will have some sort of religious (or at least traditional) beliefs which will impact them in the workplace - the way they work, the requirements they have, the tasks they wll feel comfortable and uncomfortable performing... To ignore this in an increasingly multi-cultural society is in the first case a hindrance to the effective running of a business, and even more so a potential cause of intollerance, hatred and marginalisation of minority groups.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 12:19:57 »

It takes people years to form and properly understand their own religious beliefs. How do you teach kids about all major religions in one or two hours per fortnight?

Very true. But there's plenty of time for forming some kind of foundational understanding. I spent a day at the mandir/temple in Neasden last year, and just through spending a few hours with some of the people there I learnt a lot about Hinduism and the way that their beliefs affect their attitudes and actions. I disagreed with a lot of what they said, but that's not the point!
RWB Robin

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 12:31:21 »

Question....do I get involved in this debate....again?Huh?  Answer.....probably not!!

But let's be honest....we all have beliefs which cannot be proven.  They are deeply important to us, andd to some extent we shape our lives according to those beliefs (consciously or unconsciously).  The particular history of this nation and most others is that they have to some extent been shaped by (mainly powerful) peoples' beliefs.  To understand this is an absolutely valid - even crucial - aspect of education.  Indoctrination should not happen.  It is not allowed, and although in some religious traditions, there has been confusion between teaching RE and promoting faith-based activities (like First Communion preparation in RC schools), it should not happen like that.

Given the number of threads on this site alone which come back to this subject, it is also not unreasonable to think that the question of whether there is a God (some external creative, guiding force) by which the world is in some way ordered remains a first order question, and (as Reeves4England says) there are enough eminent scientists around who remain people of faith to demonstrate that.  So that too is surely a significant subject for young people to explore.

Inter-cultural understanding is another subject altogether (but certainly not unrelated) but unless there is the opportunity for young people to engage with the things that make different people tick, and to challenge the outrageous (but grossly over-stated) fact that religious belief has a bearing on some of the appalling history of the world, they will be ill-equipped for the modern world.

Gnasher

Prefers animals to people (in a non sexual way)

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 12:55:09 »

The moon is made of cheese. FACT!

Cats are better than dogs FACT
Crispy
Pink Jumper For Goalpost

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 13:51:00 »

Do they get Ray Guns?

They've got muslamic rayguns, muslamic rayguns..
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 14:25:05 »

I think it would be good to have even greater diversity of schools....rather than having lumped together establishments, have separate places based on anything that suits the variety of the populous.  Then people's tax input into the education pot could be worth credits, which could then be spent in the school of choice.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 15:46:49 »

I write as an atheist, however...

If those with belief can believe god created the Big Bang, then it is possible to believe god created the universe, the world and evolution with it.

Problem solved.

Next week - World Peace. Wink

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
kerry red

« Reply #37 on: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 15:57:26 »

Look, there is either something after you die or there is not.

If there is, great.

If not, you aint going to know about it cos you're dead.

End of
ron dodgers

shaddap your face

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 15:59:52 »

bit difficult teaching Creationism as a science as it is based in faith and can't be disproved
kerry red

« Reply #39 on: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 16:06:57 »

All religions are about power over the people.

Dangle the carrot of life ever-after in exchange for devotion to said religion during your lifetime and then throw in the stick of eternal damnation if you stray.

Can't understand why more people dont see through it.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 16:09:25 »

bit difficult teaching Creationism as a science as it is based in faith and can't be disproved

But what if you could prove the existence of god...

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
stfcinbmth

« Reply #41 on: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 16:13:36 »

We've not had a religious debate on here for a while...

Good
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 16:27:49 »

How anyone can say whether God exists or doesn't has always puzzled me.
If He does and He's omnipotent, will he really care if people follow a man made method of worship? If he doesn't, there's a lot of people who have wasted a lot of time on their knees.

Humanism is the way to go.

It's All Good..............
axs
naaarrrrrppppp

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 16:50:00 »

That article states that all the schools have said they are not teaching creationism as a science and aren't allowed to.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 17:04:38 »

That article states that all the schools have said they are not teaching creationism as a science and aren't allowed to.

You and your facts, getting in the way of a heated debate.

It's All Good..............
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 13   Go Up
Print
Jump to: