Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 13   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: We've not had a religious debate on here for a while...  (Read 20003 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 19:54:17 »

I think it's fairly well documented the odd war or two have been started in the name of religion. Fact!
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 19:57:36 »

I think it's fairly well documented the odd war or two have been started in the name of religion. Fact!

Surely that's more to do with peoples warped interpretation than religion itself? There's nothing in Christian, Islam or Jadaism that advocates battering the fuck out of others, is there?

It's All Good..............
mrverve

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 20:10:48 »

Religion is a fantastic excuse in which to start a war.
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 20:10:59 »

Don't have a problem with the theory of creationism being taught in schools, although I don't agree with it myself enough people do that kids should be made aware of it.

However teaching it as a science is ludicrous. Make it part of the syllabus in RE, History or another humanity but how can a teacher in good conscience educate about a 'scientific' theory without a shred of scientific evidence to back it up? Makes a mockery of the experimental method.
As does the theory of evolution, which has not and cannot be proven by experimental method.

I agree that creationism shouldn't be taught as a science.....unless of course you understand science to be what it was originally meant to be - knowledge.

If you want a good example of bad science then read up on evolution.

Incidentally, creationism is the only "theory" that can come up with a plausible explanation for how the universe started. The generally accepted theory of the Big Bang....followed by evolution.....cannot explain how matter can have been formed from nothing and cannot explain how life started.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 20:15:05 »

Religion is a fantastic excuse in which to start a war.

So religion played no part in the Crusades then...riiiiiiiight....

Surely that's more to do with peoples warped interpretation than religion itself? There's nothing in Christian, Islam or Jadaism that advocates battering the fuck out of others, is there?

Presumably those involved managed to make the religion fit their actions at the time. Given things weren't written down at the time of Christ, who is to say what part of religion is accurate and what is warped.  Quite literally God only knows.

I'm not a believer in a God, but if I were I wouldn't be any more sure that staying in bed on a Sunday morning would be any less likely to get me into heaven than attending some Church and living by their interpretation of God.

I think your "be excellent to each other" is as good a rule of life as any.
« Last Edit: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 20:27:49 by Batch » Logged
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 20:18:03 »

I think I remember a thread from a long time back where the same point was made.  The laws of physics as we understand them describe the universe only as far back as fractions of a second after the Big Bang.  Before this, the laws break down.  How did the Big Bang start?  No one knows...and current scientific understanding is unlikely to get closer to answering the question any time soon.

To my mind, this opens the door to the possibility that a higher force - that we do not and, possibly, cannot understand - was responsible for the Big Bang.  Whether you choose to label this as 'Creation' and attribute it to the involvement of God is up to you.  But I certainly don't think you can discount it.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 20:29:51 »

Of course it did. But to give examples like that is to only present half the argument. First of all, events like the Crusades were not purely based on spreading faith - they were geopolitical in nature and to deny that is quite frankly naive. What was portrayed as the protection and spread of Christendom was effectively the violent assertion of power by those in the Catholic church - many of whom did not even hold to biblical teachings - at the expense of anybody who got in their path... even other Christians.

And then there's tha fact (sorry, FACT!) that more people were killed in wars in the 20th century than ever before, largely due to nationalism, communism, and aggressive secularism.
mrverve

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 20:35:41 »

Presumably those involved managed to make the religion fit their actions at the time. Given things weren't written down at the time of Christ, who is to say what part of religion is accurate and what is warped.  Quite literally God only knows.

I'm not a believer in a God, but if I were I wouldn't be any more sure that staying in bed on a Sunday morning would be any less likely to get me into heaven than attending some Church and living by their interpretation of God.

I think your "be excellent to each other" is as good a rule of life as any.

Yeah, it had nothing to do with territory, power and money whatsoever. zzzzzzzz
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 21:05:14 »

Yeah, it had nothing to do with territory, power and money whatsoever. zzzzzzzz

How can you separate religion from this. In some peoples eyes this defines the true original intent of religion - controlling the masses, gaining power and money.

Look at the Pope today. Arguably one of the most powerful men in the word, sitting in Vatican City - which isn't too shabby...

mrverve

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 21:25:55 »

Batch, the Roman Catholic Church doesn't define many Roman Catholics let alone Christians and other religions.

Barry Scott

« Reply #70 on: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 21:33:40 »

How can you separate religion from this. In some peoples eyes this defines the true original intent of religion - controlling the masses, gaining power and money.

Look at the Pope today. Arguably one of the most powerful men in the word, sitting in Vatican City - which isn't too shabby...

Or the church preaching to give to the poor yet they're one of the richest organisations in the world, collecting wealth and land in the name of what? God? Give it to the fucking poor, why go all mother theresa on their followers?

Don't also forget they're renowned for stifling growth, improvement and endeavour amongst generations of the intrepid.

Were Darwin or Galileo embraced by the church? No, vilified and castigated would be correct. They don't help the human race, they damage it.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 21:54:16 »

I think the average religious person, the sheep for want of a better word, tries to live their lives in a good way and respects others. Frankly a lot of ordinary religious people do a lot of good and we shouldn't lose sight of that.

Its the organisation itself, or parts of it, and the extremists of course that I have issues with. Oh and Jehova's witnesses, if I want to learn about God I'll come to you. Not you specifically because of your retarded views - particularly on blood donation.

And the Mormon faith, well I think South Park said it all.

And stupid religions, Creationism and Scientology are out.

And Catholicism, lack of birth control (I've had a vesectomy) and too much of a guilt trip. Every sperm isn't sacred.

And CoE seems a bit half arsed, Catholic light if you will.

And Buddhists can't agree on whether they should eat meat or not. I'm not risking veggieness.

And Muslims - lack of excessive Alcohol

And Jews - no bacon

And Hindus - no beef = no steak. Sacred cow my arse.

See I can't be religious, there isn't a good one.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #72 on: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 22:07:52 »

The Catholic Church is the same as any other multinational organisation. Its set up as one - the Pope is the CEO, then you have the board and Snr Execs in each country etc. The product they peddle is God. Like all good multinational organisations, you've got to protect the brand which over the centuries the Vatican has been a tad overzealous on occasions. Its all about moving into new territories and keeping your existing customers. I think the majority of religions are pretty similar. Its all about the bottom line.
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 22:11:05 »

And stupid religions, Creationism and Scientology are out.
Anyone who believes in a god (whichever one you want to choose) surely has to believe in Creationism as well.........
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 22:16:17 »

Were Darwin or Galileo embraced by the church? No, vilified and castigated would be correct. They don't help the human race, they damage it.
Bit harsh on Galileo but I see where you're coming from with Darwin.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 13   Go Up
Print
Jump to: