Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 13   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: We've not had a religious debate on here for a while...  (Read 20005 times)
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 17:20:56 »

My atheism isn't based on the fact I don't believe in a god really. Im sceptical on the creation of the universe, but that's more due to the fact I don't fully understand the big bang theory and struggle to comprehend the whole something out of nothing argument.

I refuse to believe in a Christian, Muslim, Jewish etc god or whatever because of just how immoral their gods are. I don't understand these masochists who insist on living under what is essentially a totalitarianism dictatorship. I also firmly believe that religion is a poison and has greatly held back the development of our species. I don't buy into the fact that religion is a basis for morality either. How is it moral to mutate the genitals of children without their say?! Its cruel! I've never been religious at all and neither were my parents and I know (for the most part) what's right and what's wrong. I don't do it because Im frightened of what happens to me if I don't!

But I find the topic fascinating nonetheless. Needed to have a rant about it for a while!!
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 17:33:40 »

I got taught vague Christianity throughout my schooling,much like Trigonometry,French and being told to kill and dissect Frogs its had no lasting impact on me.

/
W56196272
Barry Scott

« Reply #47 on: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 17:45:48 »

How anyone can say whether God exists or doesn't has always puzzled me.

True, but all you can do is look at evidence and decide on the probability. And also, and I forget who it was that said this, and the exact wording, but they said something along the lines of, "If something cannot be proved or disproved, by experiment, then it needs to be dismissed entirely."
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #48 on: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 17:49:56 »

True, but all you can do is look at evidence and decide on the probability. And also, and I forget who it was that said this, and the exact wording, but they said something along the lines of, "If something cannot be proved or disproved, by experiment, then it needs to be dismissed entirely."

Occam's razor.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 18:14:00 »

All religions are about power over the people.

Wrong. All religions have been used to gain power over the people, but that's not the same thing.

I refuse to believe in a Christian, Muslim, Jewish etc god or whatever because of just how immoral their gods are.

Tails, that's a load of crap. You can't decide a god doesn't exist purely because you don't like them. If that were the case, this forum would be dead! And, at risk of sounding much more philosophical than I am or ever will be, if a god exists, and was the origin of all life, surely that god is the basis of all morality, and not us, a finite and temporary bunch of people who exist in a tiny corner of said deity's creation?
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 18:20:41 »

I didn't say they don't exist I said I don't believe in them because of it. I can't say whether they exist or not, no one can. I seriously doubt it as no one has provided me with sufficient evidence but they may do.

I will always question why god chose the mostly illiterate middle east to send his messengers though.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 18:26:25 »

Oh and I normally get the ignorance argument on this one from Christians too. I've read and listened to William Lane Craig, Danesh D'Souza, Frank Turek as well as countless other Christian, Muslim & Jewish apologists. I admire them, their work is very good but I personally find someone like Christopher Hitchens a lot more compelling.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 18:43:57 »

The middle east was more advanced than the rest of the world in bible times wasn't it?

Things get better but they never get good
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #53 on: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 18:53:43 »

When I was at Uni the god squad would try and sign up people by doing their washing up and giving them free cheese toasties. If God's up for bribing me with a lot of money then I'm in.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 18:54:29 »

Atheism is a stupid as any faith. To dismiss anything totally, just because you can't prove it's existence is like dismissing all theory, on anything, until it's been proved. Science wouldn't exist if everyone thought that.
Bill and Ted's religion was the best, its only tenant was to be excellent to each other. Wise words that we can all agree on I'm sure.

It's All Good..............
SuggWillSugg MBE

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 18:58:48 »

When I was at Uni the god squad would try and sign up people by doing their washing up and giving them free cheese toasties. If God's up for bribing me with a lot of money then I'm in.

We get free pancakes in the campus church from the jesusers on a friday night.

I partly put my matchday thread success down to these. However luckily even when I didn't bother we still won normally...

donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 19:03:57 »

Atheism is a stupid as any faith. To dismiss anything totally, just because you can't prove it's existence is like dismissing all theory, on anything, until it's been proved. Science wouldn't exist if everyone thought that.
Bill and Ted's religion was the best, its only tenant was to be excellent to each other. Wise words that we can all agree on I'm sure.

There are strange things afoot at the Circle K.

Back on topic, I view scientific theories as very different to other theories.  Scientific theories are simply theories because future scientific discoveries may alter them or disprove them completely.  So evolution is called a theory even though all the science we have to this point supports it, one day we may find something else...or fill in a few gaps (not 'the missing link' as by definition of evolution there is not one...and the changing shapes of skulls shows this).

Be excellent, herthab.  Smiley

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 19:05:26 »

Oh and I normally get the ignorance argument on this one from Christians too. I've read and listened to William Lane Craig, Danesh D'Souza, Frank Turek as well as countless other Christian, Muslim & Jewish apologists. I admire them, their work is very good but I personally find someone like Christopher Hitchens a lot more compelling.

Fair enough. Personally I find the inetellectual, academic approach to religion slightly nauseating, for the very reasons herthab outlined above. It is always interesting to hear the debates, but I never really expect anybody's position to be changed because of them.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #58 on: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 19:10:49 »

Those Christian's are going to corrupt my kids!

We should all have a peaceful protest whilst shouting obscenities in order to raise awareness that this sort of thing is happening in our country.
mrverve

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 19:34:40 »

Ironically, the biggest myth surrounding religion is that it's the cause of wars, conflicts and the how it's holding back world peace.

A load of old bollocks.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 13   Go Up
Print
Jump to: