Fantastic picture.

Green Woodpecker and a male blackbird.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #31 on: Tuesday, December 18, 2012, 13:21:13 »

Fantastic picture.

Green Woodpecker and a male blackbird.

The little bugger used to wake us up pecking the tree next to our bedroom in the morning during June and July.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
RWB Robin

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday, December 18, 2012, 14:41:56 »

Envious of the green woodpecker, but we have a pair of greater spotted woodpeckers feeding regularly at our bird table, plus a pair of jays; currently a flock of long-tailed tits and some redwings drop in, and we have had .... and yes red kites are regularly seen over here too (RWB); they have become almost as common as buzzards now.
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday, December 18, 2012, 14:49:28 »

We've got a green woodpecker who sits on the small patch of lawn outside the front of the house and goes after the ants. Is that what yours used to get up to Venkman?
corner

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday, December 18, 2012, 16:16:14 »

Has the Red Kite reached the Swindon area yet ? All over Oxfordshire now.
Amazing that different birds reach different areas. The coal tit for example is common in north oxon but you rarely see them in south oxon. In addition we have a very small population of willow tits on the northern parts of the river cherwell.

Glad I am not the only Town birder Smiley
Seen over north swindon a couple of weeks ago and back in August, looked to be flying thro, not seen any nest around here though.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #35 on: Tuesday, December 18, 2012, 16:38:33 »

We've got a green woodpecker who sits on the small patch of lawn outside the front of the house and goes after the ants. Is that what yours used to get up to Venkman?
TBH I have no idea, I only spotted him headbanging on the tree until he got a headache and went for a walk on the lawn!

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday, December 18, 2012, 16:54:18 »

It's a facet of green woodpecker behaviour, that you're just as likely to see them on the ground as in a tree, back in the summer I saw a pair feeding in a field up near the Ridgeway, confused me at first as there wasn't too many trees anywhere nearby...but that's what they were.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday, December 18, 2012, 17:18:55 »

They love eating ants for sure.

THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday, December 18, 2012, 17:21:27 »

I once rescued a cygnet from Buscot weir.

Did it break your arm?

Clems Army!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Thursday, December 27, 2012, 17:06:45 »

Has the Red Kite reached the Swindon area yet ?

Saw a red kite on the way down from Liddington Hill earlier...closest I've seen one to Swindon so far..for a lengthy  5 hour walk, not really too much about.  Cormorants on Coate Water and jays in the trees back of Chiseldon.

At this time of year, there are usually plenty of redwing and fieldfare etc, but nothing, it must be too warm in Scandanavia. SY?
Gnasher

Prefers animals to people (in a non sexual way)

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Thursday, December 27, 2012, 17:13:24 »

Was at my mums in Little Rissington (near Burford) yesterday and there were nuthatch, treecreeper, jay and brambling in the garden.

Cats are better than dogs FACT
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Thursday, December 27, 2012, 17:14:04 »

Saw a red kite on the way down from Liddington Hill earlier...closest I've seen one to Swindon so far..for a lengthy  5 hour walk, not really too much about.  Cormorants on Coate Water and jays in the trees back of Chiseldon.

At this time of year, there are usually plenty of redwing and fieldfare etc, but nothing, it must be too warm in Scandanavia. SY?
Seen an odd red kite or two, one at Coleshill, one around Aldbourne and one just outside Marlborough.  Give them a couple of years and they'll be quite common I guess.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Thursday, December 27, 2012, 17:24:15 »

Seen an odd red kite or two, one at Coleshill, one around Aldbourne and one just outside Marlborough.  Give them a couple of years and they'll be quite common I guess.

Shows how successful reintroduction campaigns can be....let's hope this one does as well

http://greatbustard.org/the-project/
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Thursday, December 27, 2012, 18:09:45 »

Saw a red kite on the way down from Liddington Hill earlier...closest I've seen one to Swindon so far..for a lengthy  5 hour walk, not really too much about.  Cormorants on Coate Water and jays in the trees back of Chiseldon.

the temperature hasn't got above 1C for about a month, not seen anything but magpies and blue tits since autumn.

looking forward to the mild climes of west oxfordshire this week...

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Thursday, December 27, 2012, 19:44:42 »

I've seen a red kite over the weir field in wroughton once
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 18   Go Up
Print
Jump to: