Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 18   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Birds  (Read 58597 times)
fatbasher

« Reply #45 on: Friday, December 28, 2012, 09:58:40 »

I saw loads of Turkey's, Chickens, Pheasants, Ducks, Geese, Partridge's and some Quail in my mates butchers shop just before Christmas. A twitchers paradsie if you ask me. The best sighting was some Great Tits flocking into the shop as I was walking out.

I am so sorry I could not help it.
Dostoyevsky

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Friday, December 28, 2012, 15:41:28 »

Saw a cuckoo take over a nest and chuck the eggs out when I was in Petts Wood, Outer London, last month. Must be quite a rare sight Hmmm
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Friday, December 28, 2012, 15:45:36 »

Saw a cuckoo take over a nest and chuck the eggs out when I was in Petts Wood, Outer London, last month. Must be quite a rare sight Hmmm
It would be extremely rare in November, yes...some may even say impossible Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Friday, December 28, 2012, 15:47:23 by OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR » Logged
Flashheart

« Reply #48 on: Friday, December 28, 2012, 15:50:28 »

I expect loads of birds coincide their egg laying with freezing temperatures. Makes sense.
Dostoyevsky

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Friday, December 28, 2012, 15:52:40 »

It would be extremely rare in November, yes...some may even say impossible Roll Eyes

Good point, my dad claimed that was what he saw, neither of us are ornitholgically clued up, he was eager to tell my Uncle who is very much a twitcher. Feel like a right berk now  Doh "Now"? Hows about always  Crying
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Friday, December 28, 2012, 15:54:51 »

Good point, my dad claimed that was what he saw, neither of us are ornitholgically clued up, he was eager to tell my Uncle who is very much a twitcher. Feel like a right berk now  Doh "Now"? Hows about always  Crying
Not saying you didn't see it, just not at that time of year Wink
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Friday, December 28, 2012, 16:10:46 »

I expect loads of birds coincide their egg laying with freezing temperatures. Makes sense.

Anything is possible in Dosser's world...being a fantasist has its compensations.
Flashheart

« Reply #52 on: Friday, December 28, 2012, 16:44:19 »

Penguin eggs..... in trees, naturally.
corner

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Friday, December 28, 2012, 16:54:07 »

Thought I saw a pair 6-8 weeks ago, my mate convinced me it was jays that I saw....
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Friday, December 28, 2012, 17:08:42 »

Thought I saw a pair 6-8 weeks ago, my mate convinced me it was jays that I saw....
Cuckoos left for Africa months ago (sensible). They're not that common a sight when they are over here.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Friday, December 28, 2012, 17:17:55 »

Birds have typical breeding patterns...thats not to say that some of every species will do things different at certain times and breed and nest at a completly different time of year to what is normal.
I have seen a lot more Jays this year,but a lot less of the Kestrel.
Magpies are as common as ever as is the scrounging Seagull.
The suicidal Pidgeon has been prominent and i saw a lot more flocks of Starlings this year.
I even saw a Tawny Owl mocking a crow...the Owl whispering under clenched beak you Twit you to the bemused looking crow.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Friday, December 28, 2012, 19:04:11 »

Birds have typical breeding patterns...thats not to say that some of every species will do things different at certain times and breed and nest at a completly different time of year to what is normal.
I have seen a lot more Jays this year,but a lot less of the Kestrel.
Magpies are as common as ever as is the scrounging Seagull.
The suicidal Pidgeon has been prominent and i saw a lot more flocks of Starlings this year.
I even saw a Tawny Owl mocking a crow...the Owl whispering under clenched beak you Twit you to the bemused looking crow.
birds may breed early or late in the case of exceptionally mild weather but that would only occur around the breeding season. Its extremely unlikely to see birds nest at this time of year, particularly given Dostoyevsky's instance of two different species choosing to breed out of season in such close proximity
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Friday, December 28, 2012, 20:22:15 »

Saw a red kite today...south of Salisbury...lovely.

Clems Army!
adje

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Friday, December 28, 2012, 20:23:41 »

Saw a red kite today...south of Salisbury...lovely.

Saw one the other day down here-had to slow down for it as it picked at some road kill,magnificent sight

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Friday, December 28, 2012, 21:43:40 »

It was near Stowford on the hill near Devizes road.

Clems Army!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 18   Go Up
Print
Jump to: