Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: England  (Read 18674 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, April 10, 2012, 11:33:38 »

I know there's a few on here still interested in the national side, and as we approach the season's end, my thoughts have turned to the summer....and what a train wreck it is.

Given the way Spurs have imploded...is this a sign that Redknapp has the job, or does it show he's not up to it. If not Redknapp, then should it be Pardew, on the basis of likely being the highest finishing English manager.

Or should it be Pearce for the tournament and then appoint for the next WC campaign?

If not Pearce, as he's also doing the GB Olympic team....how about Hoddle as a man who knows his way around a major finals....or maybe Woy as a safe pair of hands?

Do we even have any credible strikers atm given injuries suspensions and complete lack of form....I've struggled to think of any?
Flashheart

« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2012, 11:38:19 »

I have never felt so indifferent toward the national team, I've surprised myself at just how disinterested I am.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2012, 11:47:24 »

To be honest Reg I've written off the summer. The players weren't good enough even before the FA came and derailed the management with their incompetence in handling the Terry situation.

Its got to the point now where I am pretending that Olympic football really is a deserving sport to be in the Olympics, and should be our preferred team to support. That's how far the national game has sunk.

To answer the question a new man should be in right now, not fanny around until whoever they want decides its the right time to leave Tottenham.  

Of all the names mentioned, none of them fill me with confidence. At least 'arry might understand the English strength and get us playing football I suppose. Not sure what it is but he feels a bit too wheeler dealerish to be a success at International level. Obviously he could equally be the best thing since Bobby Robson, who knows. But as i say, if he doesn't want it now then move on to someone who does.

If it were up to me, forgetting the fact they'd never come, I'd go for Mourinho. But he's foreign and plays boring winning football and so no doubt would be crucified by the press before the last easter egg is eaten.

So on the list, in order:
 - 'arry. At least being the popular choice people will give him at least 3 weeks before moaning.
 - 'woy. At least he knows the international game.
 - Psycho. Bit busy with Olympics, but at least he knows the FA
 - Glenda. Probably been away from the cutting edge a bit too long.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, April 10, 2012, 11:49:49 by Batch » Logged
SuggWillSugg MBE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2012, 11:48:13 »

I said to my mates a few weeks back when England were playing a friends how little I cared, I'd rather Swindon win the league than England the euros.

When it does eventually roll round il support my country and watch the matches, but frankly I don't care about England.

I think the FA will see how many people were calling for Redknapp when Fabio went and will appoint him. We won't win the euros and the fans will turn on him before the end of June. And the cycle will repeat for the WC

Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2012, 11:48:22 »

Steve Evans

I come from a land down-under
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2012, 11:56:12 »

I shed a tear or 2 when we lost the in Euro '96 semi.

Hopefully one day i'll care that much again about my national team, doubt it though
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2012, 11:57:39 »

I cant believe people are thinking that Grant fucking Holt is the saviour to our striking problems.

Saying that, ill be down the pub getting lashed for the group games as per
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2012, 12:07:25 »

We won't win the euros and the fans will turn on him before the end of June.

Would they though?

Expectations arent that high, arguably getting out the group will be an acheivement.  That combined with a general lack of interest means that the Media would probably be the only faction calling for his head if we have a shocker of a tournament.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2012, 12:07:38 »

To say I've lost all interest would be an overstatement.  But I've no more interest in an England group game than I have, for example, for the FA Cup Final.  It's interesting enough as a spectacle.  Just feel that it's not got a lot to do with me.  Excuse for a few beers though, as tans says.
Not that Nice If I'm Honest

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2012, 12:16:32 »

On the Contrary !

I am just as keen on England as I am Swindon.

Actually looking forward to being in a "Scottish Style" zero expectation situation.
I think the players will be under a lot less pressure this time, and this might just allow them to play abit of football.

They won't win it, but will exceed (low) expectations, rather than failing to hit (crazy high) expectations.

Personnally, i'd give it to Pearce, then 'Arry after the Euro's to build for the next World Cup.

I'm going to get shot down as a Xenophobe, but I think the England Manager should be English.
Just like the centre forward and the goalkeeper etc etc
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2012, 12:23:02 »

Same as most on here, i'm rather apathetic toward the National team these days.
The last time I looked forward to an international tournament was probably the 2002 World Cup.

Obviously would like to see us do well, but we just can't compete with the likes of Spain, Portugal or The Netherlands.

Strikers i'd take would be Rooney, Defoe, Crouch, Bent & Walcott.

If 'Arry is in charge before the Euros, maybe he can use his wheeler dealer skills to bring in Van Persie and Ronaldo on loan.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2012, 12:27:26 »

England will never be anywhere near as important to me as Swindon. Not in a million years.

I like it when England do well but they rarely do and even though I watch England games and support England if they fail it does not bother me even 1% of how much Swindon failing to win games bothers me.

As for the manager.....I would love Stuart Pearce in charge but hes not anywhere near good enough yet to do that role, it has to be Harry for me.

Spurs fortunes seem to have failed since he was strongly linked to the job, whether or not he will be able to do a good job only time would tell....he is similar in many ways to Terry Venebales when he took over, a bit outspoken, a few dody deals in the past, common sounding cockney Spurs manager, not had a huge amount of success as a club manager but is steady and will get the job done.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
kerry red

« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2012, 12:27:42 »

Blimey, I thought I was one of only a few that had given up on England. Seems to be a majority.

There's only so many times you can believe the pre-tournament bollocks spouted by overpaid under-talented bozos about how they think they can win the Euros.

But I reckon I know why they perform SO badly - the players have no belief in themselves as Team England - they may say they do for public consumption but they have no confidence in their own (limited) ability.

They are so used to being fawned over by the media during the season, they just know they will be slaughtered when they underperform for England. They know comparisons will be made with so-called inferior players playing in a so-called inferior league - and they will be found wanting.

Living in Ireland I'll be supporting the Green Army!!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2012, 12:28:18 »

Same as most on here, i'm rather apathetic toward the National team these days.
The last time I looked forward to an international tournament was probably the 2002 World Cup.

Obviously would like to see us do well, but we just can't compete with the likes of Spain, Portugal or The Netherlands.

Strikers i'd take would be Rooney, Defoe, Crouch, Bent & Walcott.

If 'Arry is in charge before the Euros, maybe he can use his wheeler dealer skills to bring in Van Persie and Ronaldo on loan.

Think Bent is injured...I'd rather go with Welbeck and Sturridge. Don't want too many retreads who've been there and failed like Crouch and Defoe...although of course some experience is important.
Flashheart

« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2012, 12:31:54 »

For me it's not about whether or not we do well, it's abut giving it a good go.

The last tournament was a disgrace in that regard. I have also never disliked so many players on a personal level, the England team is full of horrible people that don't deserve what they have.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to: