Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 ... 40   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Gills away  (Read 97804 times)
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #465 on: Tuesday, April 17, 2012, 13:20:13 »

It would certainly explain why this is supposedly being heard in court today. I can't imagine that a row over regular policing costs would've been escalated through the court system so quickly.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #466 on: Tuesday, April 17, 2012, 13:21:55 »

However, it could just be the case that Scally is being an arse.
The two aren't mutually exclusive. Point 4 of the "checklist" above is precisely that - that if they were looking for a test case, they'd need one where they can rely on the chairman being an arse. Scally fits the bill perfectly.
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #467 on: Tuesday, April 17, 2012, 13:55:21 »

Thanks Ardiles.

FWIW, I strongly suspect that this is being driven by ACPO - it's more than a little coincidental that barely a week after ACPO start trumpeting their "Football clubs should pay the entire cost of any policing on a match day whether it's near the ground or not" report, they manage to find a convenient test case which meets all the criteria:

1) History of trouble to point to - check
2) Lower-league clubs so no massive outcry if the game gets pulled - check
3) Still sufficiently high profile to act as a "We're serious about this" warning message to other clubs - check
4) Arsey chairman who can be relied upon to kick up a fuss and put the fixture at risk - check

I think those pointing the finger at Scally, FL etc should perhaps look at some of the bigger context here. We're being used as a test case/shot across the bows by the coppers for a scheme they'd like to introduce more widely (greatly extended costs of policing) and which could break some clubs.

Good points and undoubtedly an element of truth in that, the only slight flaw I see though is number 2. Should the game go ahead where the championship could be decided and where fans are banned there would be such a fuss generated in the press it'll make all the parties (Medway Council, Police, Gills) look like incompetent pedantic twats and thus the strategy would backfire significantly

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
Flashheart

« Reply #468 on: Tuesday, April 17, 2012, 14:29:14 »

Rumours that Scally owes the Old Bill for the last 6 months.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #469 on: Tuesday, April 17, 2012, 14:56:29 »

that cunt owes me a tenner as well
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #470 on: Tuesday, April 17, 2012, 17:24:07 »

An article by the Chair of the Kent Police Authority

Closer to home and football also made the headlines over policing costs for the Gillingham and Swindon match. The costs surrounding the game at the Priestfield stadium still remains unresolved. As a keen football supporter, I really hope that the police, Medway Council, and Gillingham football club, do find an amicable solution so fans can enjoy the match this weekend.

However, let's not forget, amidst big budget cuts, falling police officer numbers and growing demand that informed and fair decisions must be made. The public rightly expects that those who profit from events that require a significant police presence should pay a fair contribution towards the cost of that policing. Public safety is, after all, vital and we can't take risks with it.

It was interesting to note that the Association of Chief Police Officers - ACPO - issued an academic study into the impact of large football matches on policing last week. The report was written alongside researchers from the University College London. It looked at crime patterns in coloration to matches and the findings suggest that there are significant increases in crime and disorder on match days.

Public order policing is paramount to the safety of fans, and local areas, and I'll be interested to have a look at any lessons learnt from ACPO that we can apply here in Kent.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ann-barnes/policing-football-on-a-fa_b_1431192.html

As much as public order policing is important to fans, so is being able to watch your team in a match where they could potentially win the league. We can 'hope' the various parties come to an agreement as much as we like, but the fact of the matter is somebody needs a kick up the arse, whether it's Scally, the police, or both.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, April 17, 2012, 17:28:24 by reeves4england » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #471 on: Tuesday, April 17, 2012, 17:41:38 »

Add weight to Paul D's point.

That ACPO article annoyed me. I didn't see it mentioned the benefits to the local community a "big match" can bring. Specifically increased trade which equates to increased VAT and other taxes. Which pays for police. Over the course of a season just how much of a drain is a football club to indirect police costs?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #472 on: Wednesday, April 18, 2012, 06:52:58 »

Game ON!

Quote from: Steve Wolfe, Sports Editor, Kent Sports NEws
Gillingham's game with Swindon Town on Saturday will go ahead as planned after the club and Kent Police settled their differences.

http://www.kentsportsnews.com/gills-game-gets-go-ahead-18-04-2012/

« Last Edit: Wednesday, April 18, 2012, 06:55:04 by Batch » Logged
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #473 on: Wednesday, April 18, 2012, 07:11:45 »

Ol Scally Wag was on bbc rs this morning, well a clippit, but he said that Gillingham FC are going to sue Kent police after this fiasco...

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
The Frog

Ignore
« Reply #474 on: Wednesday, April 18, 2012, 07:42:41 »

Now game is going ahead lets sell this allocation sharpish hopfully get some more and sell them.

Promotion party

Beers Beers Beers Beers Beers Beers Beers Beers Beers Beers Beers Beers Beers Beers Beers Beers Beers Beers Beers Beers Beers Beers Beers Beers Beers Beers Beers Beers Beers Beers Beers Beers Beers Beers Beers Beers Beers Beers Beers Beers Beers Beers Beers Beers Beers
farmer61

Ignore
« Reply #475 on: Wednesday, April 18, 2012, 07:56:52 »

Ol Scally Wag was on bbc rs this morning, well a clippit, but he said that Gillingham FC are going to sue Kent police after this fiasco...

He was interviewed by some knob on BBC WS this am, has paid the Police for this one game only but is still in dispute with them over their general policy. It's a formality for Medway Council to lift the banning order this morning, game on.

Tbf he came across ok, same cannot be said for the interviewer who was spoiling for a fight that wasn't there to be had.
Gnasher

Prefers animals to people (in a non sexual way)

Ignore
« Reply #476 on: Wednesday, April 18, 2012, 08:39:41 »

After watching the game last night I'm quite pleased I'm not going to this one!

Cats are better than dogs FACT
Crispy
Pink Jumper For Goalpost

Ignore
« Reply #477 on: Wednesday, April 18, 2012, 08:53:44 »

All over Sky Sports News, Scally is on now.

- Not relived because saw it as not a problem, police imposed since Jan on a number of games - which gills have resisted
- Swindon game came up and the Scally didn't agree it should be a CAT C game
- 11th april probation notice served
- Very disappointed with council
- Council caused more harm than good
- Had healthy talks with police and agreed to pay
- Further talks going forward to be held
- Was always going to be a big game, but bigger because we didn't go up last night
- Don't expect problems, never do against Swindon
- Looking forward too seeing Paolo

They've got muslamic rayguns, muslamic rayguns..
Panda Paws

Arse

Ignore
« Reply #478 on: Wednesday, April 18, 2012, 09:03:22 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-17753007
ron dodgers

shaddap your face

Ignore
« Reply #479 on: Wednesday, April 18, 2012, 09:06:28 »

"It looked at crime patterns in coloration to matches and the findings suggest that there are significant increases in crime and disorder on match days."

would they be the green games or the red games?Huh?
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 ... 40   Go Up
Print
Jump to: