Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Are we as good as we think?  (Read 9871 times)
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Friday, March 9, 2012, 11:31:58 »

Where as Greer used to never say anything nice about anyone else.

Point proven!

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Friday, March 9, 2012, 13:06:35 »

I think we are better than many realise.2-3 players short of pissing next season let alone this imo

as soon as i can a get a price i am lumping on us for next season.
The table doesn't lie and it shows how good we are. Momentum is massive in football and historically this has been shown with promoted clubs doing well the following year in a higher division.

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Friday, March 9, 2012, 13:16:36 »

Alan Macs distribution of the ball is about 100 times better than Greers.

First back line we've had since Greer that Greer wouldnt walk into at the moment.

What a load of bollocks.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Friday, March 9, 2012, 13:22:06 »

No.
nevillew
Tripping the light puntastic

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Friday, March 9, 2012, 13:23:42 »

Alan Macs distribution of the ball is about 100 times better than Greers.

That's based on two televised matches and a load of radio commentary/hearsay isn't it ?

Paolo Di Canio, it's Paolo Di Canio
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Friday, March 9, 2012, 14:02:03 »

Alan Mac benefits from being a midfielder. His Kaiser like runs from deep are something Greer could only dream of.
mrverve

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Friday, March 9, 2012, 14:15:13 »

Alan McCormack has been my player of the year. Phenomenal.

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Friday, March 9, 2012, 14:23:07 »

Alan Mac benefits from being a midfielder. His Kaiser like runs from deep are something Greer could only dream of.

Yep.Which makes them completely different players. Think they would make a great partnership but a pointless arguement as it wont happen.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Friday, March 9, 2012, 14:33:25 »

True enough arriba. Think they were equally responsible for transforming our defence into something much much better.

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Friday, March 9, 2012, 14:39:22 »

True enough arriba. Think they were equally responsible for transforming our defence into something much much better.
aint that the truth.
clarkystfc

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Friday, March 9, 2012, 16:00:28 »

We are as good as we think because the table says so! Cheesy its gonna be hard to hang on to our best players in the summer would be suprised if ritchie stays mainly as every championship club seems to be in for him and silly money being talked about but as long as not too many departures of starting 11 and additions particularly 20 goal striker really do think we will be top 6 as paolo took a while to get the squad to gel this season with so many new players next season will be just tinkering with the squad and the style of play is established and like somebody else said if stevenage are top 6 in league 1 we are already as good if not better than them, i will be putting some money on us probably play offs and another trip to wembley just hopefully not Millwall this time IN PDC WE TRUST ALWAYS! Clap
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Friday, March 9, 2012, 16:28:22 »

Based on the 09/10 versions (not the 10/11 incarnations)

Foderingham v Lucas: Foderingham, just. Don't forget how solid Lucas was for us that year.

Caddis v Amankwaah: Caddis. Needs no explaination, but Amankwaah was one of our most effective players in 09/10 doing a similar job overlapping that Caddis does now, albeit without as good an end product.

Greer v Flint/Devera: Greer. Consistent, a good communicator and played the ball out of the back very well. Flint and Devera may well develop into players as good as Greer, but they're not there yet.

McCormack v Cuthbert: McCormack. Cuthbert had all the potential in the world - speed, strength, confidence and not bad with the ball at his feet. A real victim of playing in the 10/11 team and his reputation diminishing as a result - and missing his chance of a bigger move than Orient. McCormack - immense.

McGovern v Ritchie: Ritchie. JP was very nearly player of the year - sublime crossing, without any pace, great energy. Ritchie has that, but adds goals.  

Ferry 09/10 v Ferry 10/11: Level. I think he's added more to his game going forward, but he's hardy an attacking 'threat' (not that that is his primary role). It would be great if he could pop up with more goals - he has the chances - just cannot finish. His progression from last year is clear for all to see, but he's probably at the same level he was at for 09/10.

Douglas v Risser/Smith/Cox: Douglas. Was the fulcrum of that side. I am hopeful Cox, once he is imbedded properly in the squad, can fulfil that role - his debut suggests he can do so, but he has fallen away since.

Ward v Rooney: Ward. Rooney has made a great start and will hopefully turn into a top class bit of business for us, but Ward was something else that season. He's a physically stronger player than Rooney, has pace to burn and tracked back very well.  

Austin v Connell/Bodin/Murray: Austin. No contest. Hoping Connell can continue to play at his best and chip in with the goals. I hope Bodin really continues to progress and turn into a top class player - not just a solid lower league player. At 19, we have no idea how far he can go.

Benson v Paynter: Level. I know there is a lot on Benson love at the moment, and rightly so. I know there is a lot of anti-Paynter on here too. I don't understand the argument that he was all penalties etc - he scored a shed load of goals and assisted for probably the same amount again. He was a pain in the backside for centre backs. Benson doesn't have the same physical presence (that might come from Tehouhe) but god he's a clever player.

Final Score:

09/10 5.5
11/12 5.5

It's a draw, but if you look at the differences between the players, I'd say 09/10 shades it - Austin and Paynter were far and away better than what we have now. A lot of people have spoken about establishing a 09/10 style front line for next season, but that isn't Di canio's style. No matter how prolific someone is, I think Di canio will rotate and choose players based on the opposition. I'd shift out Murray and Magera (permanantly). If we can find a fast, physical player to add another option, that would round off a nice front 4 with Benson, Connell and Bodin. No idea how good Tehouhe is and I'm loathed to base his ability purely on his Orient record - let's see how he fits into out style. He may bag a hatful.

And to state the obvious, we need to do all we can to retain Ritchie. If he goes, we should be on the phone to Lee Holmes in a flash.  
« Last Edit: Friday, March 9, 2012, 16:33:54 by The Moonraker » Logged
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #57 on: Friday, March 9, 2012, 16:30:48 »

Caddis and Ferry are both more important to the team than Ritchie, I reckon.
oxford_fan

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Friday, March 9, 2012, 17:46:30 »

Would you care to comment on my assumption that your club, understandably, seems to be scared of getting promotion

I'd like to comment that it's a big load of bollocks. Where have you got this assumptive idea from then, and how would promotion possibly be detrimental to our, or any clubs, finances?
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Friday, March 9, 2012, 19:46:12 »

I'd like to comment that it's a big load of bollocks. Where have you got this assumptive idea from then, and how would promotion possibly be detrimental to our, or any clubs, finances?

With you on that one. Ridiculous question.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: