Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Are we as good as we think?  (Read 9890 times)
adje

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Friday, March 9, 2012, 20:20:26 »

Mid table with current squad in my book-none of our strikers are top of league 1 calibre(Bodin may prove to be)also 1 central midfielder and 1 defender short.So 4 good players and we can emulate Lou's boys.

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Friday, March 9, 2012, 21:21:57 »

I'd like to comment that it's a big load of bollocks. Where have you got this assumptive idea from then, and how would promotion possibly be detrimental to our, or any clubs, finances?

I agree but I seem to have also seen that coming from a few Oxford fans strangely enough...didn't understand it myself.
Spencer_White

« Reply #62 on: Friday, March 9, 2012, 21:45:20 »

A small minority of our fans said it about going up to the Championship 2 years ago, and it is absolute bollocks. At any level.
fatbasher

« Reply #63 on: Saturday, March 10, 2012, 08:40:34 »

Are we as good as we think?

We have beaten Wigan, Colchester, Huddersfield, City and Exeter this season. We did OK at times against Leicester too.

I think we would be top half of league 1, we would need a left back, striker and another midfielder minimum to challenge.

Wigan H (premiership), Bristol City A (Championship), Colchester A (Div 1), Exeter A (Div 1), Huddersfield H (Div 1)

None of those teams wanted to be beaten by the town irrespective of the competition they were in, they're professionals ffs.

So the answer IMHO is yes. I stand by my prediction we'll go up again next season too, maybe not as champions but up never the less.

Just remember the start of this season. We were lucky, yes lucky to beat Crewe 3-0. The next games against Nam, Daggers & Shrew all away, Pox @ home showed Paolo the weaknesses, frailties and mistakes within the squad. He went to the board and the rest is history. That my friends was from a standing start or put it another way giving your 400m track event opponents how many meters start? one hundred, one fifty two hundred. We're in the home straight now so I reckon at least a hundred meters but no more than one fifty and a rookie manager at that. That's impressive and I defy anyone to argue against that IN ANY DIVISION.

So come to next season we'll have a massive march on the start of this one, won't we? His pre season will be more planned and thought out as will the squad. There will be plenty of comings and goings, that I have no doubt what so ever.

I'm in the camp that says Paolo will be here for at least another two-three seasons. As long as he sees that the board back him 100% then why would he go? Money I believe does not motivate this man so forget Chelsea type appointments. Stability, passion, loyalty, commitment and a myriad of other key words you'll hear in his post and pre match interviews.

He could at this rate take us to the premiership given the time, backing and ambition from the BOD, oh and us the supporters, silly me almost forgot. So who'd bet against that?

Here's a thought to leave you with. Paolo Di Canio Swindon's very own Brian Clough in the making, "Now then young man".............. 

kerry red

« Reply #64 on: Saturday, March 10, 2012, 09:23:33 »

What I meant by Oxford possibly, as a club, being scared of promotion is because of their spell in the wilderness and they do seem wary of stretching themselves financially (if they, indeed, can).

The fans seem to want a slow, steady approach which is fine, but ultimately, for ANY club, a substantial injection of cash is required to either go forward or even maintain the status quo.

If a club does get promoted on a small budget it will be because of the players assembled and if there is no financial backing those players will be targetted by other clubs and it will be difficult to turn down transfer fees - and before you know it you're back to square one.

Take today's opponents - Cheltenham - if they go up their best players will be off and be replaced by not-so-good players and they will get relegated.

Where would we be if the board were unable, or unwilling, to have put substantial money into the club? No PdC, for sure
oxford_fan

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Saturday, March 10, 2012, 10:48:33 »

seems a lack of ambition from those running the club. How long will the fans accept that?

The fans seem to want a slow, steady approach which is fine

Which?

We're aiming for the Championship through a sustainable approach to investment and development of the club as a whole, it's pretty easy to understand. This club was ripped apart by Firoz Kassam, from the ownership of the ground through to staff structure, scouting network, youth development, fans' connections, business links. The current owner, chairman, and manager are a godsend and the turnaround of every aspect of the club has been gradual and nothing short of brilliant. Here's what he said the other day:

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/oxfordunited/9579784.Lenagan_targets_Championship_in_five_years_for_Oxford_United/

So frankly what you are saying is utter bollocks.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Saturday, March 10, 2012, 11:07:46 »

Which?

We're aiming for the Championship through a sustainable approach to investment and development of the club as a whole, it's pretty easy to understand. This club was ripped apart by Firoz Kassam, from the ownership of the ground through to staff structure, scouting network, youth development, fans' connections, business links. The current owner, chairman, and manager are a godsend and the turnaround of every aspect of the club has been gradual and nothing short of brilliant. Here's what he said the other day:

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/oxfordunited/9579784.Lenagan_targets_Championship_in_five_years_for_Oxford_United/

So frankly what you are saying is utter bollocks.

Clearly Lenegan knows fuck all, by his assertion that Oxford United have been around a long time...fuck sake I remember them coming into the world, and I'm not that old.

Almost as ludicrous as Steve Coppell claiming on taking the Shitty job, that they were a club with a tradition of top flight football...
Gerinthere

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Saturday, March 10, 2012, 11:27:11 »

Wigan H (premiership), Bristol City A (Championship), Colchester A (Div 1), Exeter A (Div 1), Huddersfield H (Div 1)

None of those teams wanted to be beaten by the town irrespective of the competition they were in, they're professionals ffs.

So the answer IMHO is yes. I stand by my prediction we'll go up again next season too, maybe not as champions but up never the less.

Just remember the start of this season. We were lucky, yes lucky to beat Crewe 3-0. The next games against Nam, Daggers & Shrew all away, Pox @ home showed Paolo the weaknesses, frailties and mistakes within the squad. He went to the board and the rest is history. That my friends was from a standing start or put it another way giving your 400m track event opponents how many meters start? one hundred, one fifty two hundred. We're in the home straight now so I reckon at least a hundred meters but no more than one fifty and a rookie manager at that. That's impressive and I defy anyone to argue against that IN ANY DIVISION.

So come to next season we'll have a massive march on the start of this one, won't we? His pre season will be more planned and thought out as will the squad. There will be plenty of comings and goings, that I have no doubt what so ever.

I'm in the camp that says Paolo will be here for at least another two-three seasons. As long as he sees that the board back him 100% then why would he go? Money I believe does not motivate this man so forget Chelsea type appointments. Stability, passion, loyalty, commitment and a myriad of other key words you'll hear in his post and pre match interviews.

He could at this rate take us to the premiership given the time, backing and ambition from the BOD, oh and us the supporters, silly me almost forgot. So who'd bet against that?

Here's a thought to leave you with. Paolo Di Canio Swindon's very own Brian Clough in the making, "Now then young man".............. 

Superb post. Agree 100%
This season I could see the town coming good at some point. The Rotherham home game was the turning point and that's when I stuck my money on the town to win the title at 18:1. I could not see us slipping back after that.
Next season I will be putting it on at the start of the season because we have a squad and manager with the mental and physical abilty to win things along with fantastic board backing.
Only Me

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Saturday, March 10, 2012, 11:32:46 »

Superb post. Agree 100%
This season I could see the town coming good at some point. The Rotherham home game was the turning point and that's when I stuck my money on the town to win the title at 18:1. I could not see us slipping back after that.
Next season I will be putting it on at the start of the season because we have a squad and manager with the mental and physical abilty to win things along with fantastic board backing.

My money was on the Town at the start of the season @ 8/1. I also put £10 e/w when we were at 18/1. 

Happy days (so far)

Woot Jumping Woot Jumping Woot Jumping

Harsh Funny Harsh Funny Harsh Funny Harsh Funny Harsh Funny Harsh Funny
oxford_fan

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Saturday, March 10, 2012, 11:34:42 »

I'm not that old.

Have you got your bus pass yet?
kerry red

« Reply #70 on: Saturday, March 10, 2012, 11:58:12 »

Come on, what do you expect any chairman to say?

They aint going to say their ambition is to get to League 1 within 25 years.

My point is that you, or any other club of our 'type', cannot achieve let alone sustain Championship football without a large amount of wonga. So unless along the way Oxford obtain some kind of sugar daddy the model which may well be serving you well at League 2 level just aint going to work at a higher level.

And it is this 'fear' of investment (meaning debt, whether to the bank or an individual) is going to hold you back - and the fans seem to go along with this at the moment.

The time will come though, fans being fans, when the lack of investment will equate to lack of ambition.
fatbasher

« Reply #71 on: Saturday, March 10, 2012, 12:07:52 »

Come on, what do you expect any chairman to say?

They aint going to say their ambition is to get to League 1 within 25 years.

My point is that you, or any other club of our 'type', cannot achieve let alone sustain Championship football without a large amount of wonga. So unless along the way Oxford obtain some kind of sugar daddy the model which may well be serving you well at League 2 level just aint going to work at a higher level.

And it is this 'fear' of investment (meaning debt, whether to the bank or an individual) is going to hold you back - and the fans seem to go along with this at the moment.

The time will come though, fans being fans, when the lack of investment will equate to lack of ambition.

Put that way your statement is reasonable.

We are in a similar, not the same, mind you, position. However, the financial clout of our backers, a willingness of our landlords (sbc), fans catchment area etc will cement the elements required to sustain growth as we move up. Oxford could do the same to be fair, though their biggest stumbling block is Kassam. I'm not in receipt of the knowledge of how Oxford could gain extra income from the Kassam stad without having to either gain permission from or handing over to huge amounts of money to Kassam for the privilege. The ST board have clearly identified multiple revenue streams to facilitate the drop off of money during the closed season among other ways to do so.
kerry red

« Reply #72 on: Saturday, March 10, 2012, 12:31:50 »

The stumbling block for Oxford is that even if a prospective new owner wanted to take over he/she/they are going to have to hand over £13m to Kassam just to get the stadium before thinking about investing in the playing side.

If, as a club, you have to shell out £500,000 pa in rent how on earth is there ever going to be enough money for players if you want to go up the leagues?

It is feasible (and is proven every season) for a club with little dosh to get promoted from League 2 but how many of these clubs get any further with no money.
oxford_fan

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Saturday, March 10, 2012, 12:47:01 »

So unless along the way Oxford obtain some kind of sugar daddy the model which may well be serving you well at League 2 level just aint going to work at a higher level.

Who says that we won't change our approach?
Barry Scott

« Reply #74 on: Saturday, March 10, 2012, 12:50:06 »

The stumbling block for Oxford is that even if a prospective new owner wanted to take over he/she/they are going to have to hand over £13m to Kassam just to get the stadium before thinking about investing in the playing side.

If, as a club, you have to shell out £500,000 pa in rent how on earth is there ever going to be enough money for players if you want to go up the leagues?

It is feasible (and is proven every season) for a club with little dosh to get promoted from League 2 but how many of these clubs get any further with no money.

I would argue that I doubt we know much about their finances, in the same way they no jack shit about ours - despite their knowledge of us blowing our budget and paying Magera £2,00,00000,00,0000 a day.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: