Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Are we as good as we think?  (Read 9927 times)
kerry red

« on: Thursday, March 8, 2012, 17:26:56 »

I know we are pissing the league, in my opinion without even playing particulalry well, but is it down to us or the fact that the rest of the teams are absolute shite.

The teams that are trying their best not to get promoted (or it seems so) look to me as if they would struggle greatly in League 1.

None of them have the financial clout to make much of an impression next season and our dear friends down the A420 seem positively scared to death of over-reaching themselves lest they are cast down (again  Clap) into the Conference.
DRS

« Reply #1 on: Thursday, March 8, 2012, 17:29:54 »

I think we are better than many realise.2-3 players short of pissing next season let alone this imo
phelpsieboy

« Reply #2 on: Thursday, March 8, 2012, 17:35:23 »

All we need to mount a promotion challenge in league one for next season is a left back and a new striker and then I feel comfortable of having a team better than our 09/10 team
kerry red

« Reply #3 on: Thursday, March 8, 2012, 17:39:15 »

I know there are shades of Lou Macari's league pissers in the 80s who went on to get promotion again (and again) but I honestly can't remember the other sides in Div 4 being as bad as this current lot are.
nochee

« Reply #4 on: Thursday, March 8, 2012, 17:40:21 »

All we need to mount a promotion challenge in league one for next season is a left back and a new striker and then I feel comfortable of having a team better than our 09/10 team

There will be certain players that will need replacing,  I'm sure
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, March 8, 2012, 17:40:50 »

Stevenage Borough got 69 points last season in this division. They are currently pushing for a League One play-off spot. Nothing comes easy in football, but they've shown it can be done.

As DRS says, there are 2-3 positions that need improving, but on the whole we're a very good team. With those right additions, we could well challenge next year. I'd expect the current squad to finish in the top half of League One.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #6 on: Thursday, March 8, 2012, 17:41:32 »

I agree with both of those comments. 3 good players and we can storm the league above too, a midfielder, a left back and a striker, not squad players but good strong players, we have good squad players already.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Dirk Diggler

« Reply #7 on: Thursday, March 8, 2012, 17:42:11 »

I guess the comparison is with the side that played at Wembley. In all probability would we have a better side with Austin, Douglas & Greer in it? Most definately, in which case 3 players for the spine are required. Don't think that anybody else from that side (with possible exception of Paynter) would improve the current side.
Barry Scott

« Reply #8 on: Thursday, March 8, 2012, 17:42:31 »

I think we already have a better squad than 09/10. I also think this current squad could win league 1 as it is. With a few additions, over what will likely be an exciting summer, we'd be unplayable. *STFC_Gazza_enthusiasm_smiley*
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, March 8, 2012, 17:43:43 »

I think we already have a better squad than 09/10. I also think this current squad could win league 1 as it is. With a few additions, over what will likely be an exciting summer, we'd be unplayable. *STFC_Gazza_enthusiasm_smiley*

I'm not so sure... we're stronger in certain areas, but a lot of our success that year was based on the Austin/Paynter partnership. I think the biggest question is whether we're strong enough up front.
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, March 8, 2012, 17:44:00 »

We'll also have to keep hold of the likes of Caddis, Ritchie and Ferry if we want to push on next season. I do think we are pretty good for this level. I do however think the way in which we win with such ease at home is because teams just come here and sit back without really looking for more than a point. The only 2 teams who haven't done that here this season are Gillingham and Shrewsbury and both were unlucky to lose to us. So I think it's a bit of both really.
Barry Scott

« Reply #11 on: Thursday, March 8, 2012, 17:47:13 »

And in response to Dirk, only Austin out of the three you mention could improve us IMO. We missed Greer's leadership last season, but we now have many vocal leader types. We've already proven we can live without Dougie's leadership as well. Smiley
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #12 on: Thursday, March 8, 2012, 17:51:16 »

And in response to Dirk, only Austin out of the three you mention could improve us IMO. We missed Greer's leadership last season, but we now have many vocal leader types. We've already proven we can live without Dougie's leadership as well. Smiley
I have to agree there, I think Austin would turn us into a Championship side, the others....meh.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
kerry red

« Reply #13 on: Thursday, March 8, 2012, 17:52:03 »

Forgetting us for a moment though - do you agree that the standard of the vast majority of sides in this league is piss poor?

I also noticed nobody as mentioned the importance of keeping hold of PdC - or is that a given?

THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, March 8, 2012, 17:53:02 »

Outstanding divvy 2 side and good divvy 1 im sure...

One step at a time...

Clems Army!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: