Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Drunks who think they are the dogs bollocks  (Read 12670 times)
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Sunday, May 30, 2010, 17:36:17 »

With Dave on this. What the heck is the mentality of people who wear the colours and can't identify the importance of their vocal support being a vital expression of that allegiance. Passive support on a day like that (unless you're born mute) is totally unacceptable. Maybe I was embarrased of singing and making myself heard when I attended church as a lad, but thesed days I couldn't give a fuck, tuneless or otherwise. What's the point of turning up. Very disillusioning.

I'm not with Dave.  Sorry.  Most of us on here are passionate about the club and gave it some vocal welly yesterday (or tried to).  And yes - I was frustrated when the singing didn't take off.  (I was in block 134, and a group of us at the back tried - and failed - to get things going.  But eventually you realised it wasn't going to happen.  Seems a similar story is being told in just about every block in our end.)

But on reflection, if I was someone who hadn't been for a few years ('plastic' seems to be popular term) and I had some apoplectic fool screaming at me to sing his song along with him, I'd have told him to **** himself.  Personally, I like to sing.  That's my look out.  If other people don't, that's theirs.  No one has any right at all to tell others how to conduct themselves...and neither is there any obligation to sing, dance, clap your hands or do a handstand just because you bought a ticket and fancied an afternoon at the football.

On a different note, have to agree with other posters about Millwall's 'songs' lending themselves better to Wembley.  To get going, you'll need a song that's simple, practically monosyllabic and within the capabilities of a 4 year old to memorise.  Our most rousing song (I think) is Wise Men Say which, while it can sounds deafening in the away end of many grounds, is very different to Miiiiiiiiiiiiillwall and No One Likes Us and was never going to get off the ground yesterday.  Maybe we need to think of a new song for the next time we get to Wembley.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Sunday, May 30, 2010, 17:43:35 »

I stand by point.

Not only would they not sing, they stayed sat down. Why? whats the point.
shady

Free the Etuhu one!!

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Sunday, May 30, 2010, 17:48:01 »

When those (tens of thousands?) forked out for an expensive day out, at what point did they think singing, remonstrating, heart-on-sleeve passion was not going to be part of the match-day experience. I'm a very reserved person, terribly shy in the past, but I cannot countenance the thought of supporting my team in a silent fashion. I'd rather not bother were that the case. Each to their own I suppose.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Sunday, May 30, 2010, 17:53:53 »

We don't make any noise normally, why should it have been any different at wembley?

Things get better but they never get good
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Sunday, May 30, 2010, 17:57:43 »

The point is they see things differently to you & me.  They may have had a passing interest in the game - probably hoped Swindon were going to win - but were not going to share the delerium if we had won and didn't feel quite the same pain when we lost.  It's almost as if you're instructing these people to share your passion.  It would be equally daft if I went to the opera (I never have, incidentally, but think I would like to one day) and had some opera nut berating me because I didn't have tears rolling down my eyes - like he did - during La Boheme.

Honestly, if we had sneaked a goal...our fans would have found their voice somehow and a lot of the comment about lack of atmosphere simply wouldn't have happened today.  Atmosphere before the game was superb in the pub and I remember saying to my brothers that I really hoped this was not the high point.  Sadly, it was.  We'll be back there one day, and it will be different.  In a few more days, when the immediate disappointment starts to lift, we'll start to see things differently.  Hopefully, a few 'plastics' will return as well.  They may even start to find their voices after a few singing lessons.

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Sunday, May 30, 2010, 17:57:49 »

calling others cunts,or telling them to fuck off for not singing is out of order.but i dont understand how anyone could not have been up for it yesterday.i rarely sing nowadays exept at away games,but i was trying to start the bloody things yesterday.i was bang up for it.we needed to be the 12th man, and we didn't deliver.
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #36 on: Sunday, May 30, 2010, 18:01:37 »

The problem you have with "new wembley" is yesterday was the first time for nearly every swindon fan yesterday.It reminded me of the Brazil game i went to for the first game when it opened.Too many people in awe of the surroundings and too busy taking videos and photo's etc.

On the flip side it was Millwalls 2nd visit in a year most of them were at the stadium last year.Alot of Wall fans reckon they were quiet last year year even if they did outnumber them .This year they new they had to support the team and i would like to think we would do the same next year.
Spencer_White

« Reply #37 on: Sunday, May 30, 2010, 18:04:29 »

I think the writing's been on the wall for a while of what Wembley would be like.

For a game like that, in a big ground, you need to be persistent. And unfortunately Swindon fans cant manage it, because weve resorted to fast clapping and chanting at the first opportunity.

Anyway. If we go again for a play off, I doubt we'll pull anymore than 20,000. The fans will have more space to sort themselves out.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Sunday, May 30, 2010, 18:05:09 »

It would be equally daft if I went to the opera (I never have, incidentally, but think I would like to one day) and had some opera nut berating me because I didn't have tears rolling down my eyes - like he did - during La Boheme.

Sums it up perfectly

DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Sunday, May 30, 2010, 18:08:25 »

The point is they see things differently to you & me.  They may have had a passing interest in the game - probably hoped Swindon were going to win - but were not going to share the delerium if we had won and didn't feel quite the same pain when we lost.  It's almost as if you're instructing these people to share your passion.

They are at a Town game, not just any Town game - if they havent got the passion for the club and want to sit down, in comfort and watch the game they should have stayed at home and watched it on the telly.

Passion? fuck sake, if you havent got it you arent in the right place. Thats the one thing all fans should have passion for the team they support.

calling others cunts,or telling them to fuck off for not singing is out of order.but i dont understand how anyone could not have been up for it yesterday.i rarely sing nowadays exept at away games,but i was trying to start the bloody things yesterday.i was bang up for it.we needed to be the 12th man, and we didn't deliver.

admittedly not my finest or most proud hour. But I was frustrated as hell and was trying to get more people involved. I must have banged my foot on the metal flooring about 100 times and try and get clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap SWINDON going.

Again, if you are sitting/standing whatever in another mans world, you do your best to fit in and get into the spirit of things.

To use the opera analogy - I wouldnt go to an opera, stand up and sing. The same way I wouldnt go to football and sit down in silence.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Sunday, May 30, 2010, 18:09:10 »

It would be equally daft if I went to the opera (I never have, incidentally, but think I would like to one day) and had some opera nut berating me because I didn't have tears rolling down my eyes - like he did - during La Boheme.
Hmmm, I think a good chunk of those that were there yesterday thought they were at the opera

To use the opera analogy - I wouldnt go to an opera, stand up and sing. The same way I wouldnt go to football and sit down in silence.
Very well put, Dave
shady

Free the Etuhu one!!

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Sunday, May 30, 2010, 18:10:55 »

Ardilles: Great compariosn re:opera. Just frustrating that people were clearly interested enough to make the gig but sank when it came to the thing I thought football revolved around, and makes it unique: visceral lung busting passion.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Sunday, May 30, 2010, 18:12:32 »

People paid money to watch a football match

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Sunday, May 30, 2010, 18:13:07 »

Ardilles: Great compariosn re:opera