Pages: 1 ... 2079 2080 2081 [2082] 2083 2084 2085 ... 2656   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trivial things you don't understand/mildly annoy you  (Read 5086035 times)
Panda Paws

« Reply #31215 on: Friday, October 11, 2019, 11:41:46 »

So why even mention it?

Again, crazy leap in logic implied there.

Stabbings happen routinely in London, and increasingly so. That's true, and shit.

I think it's bad that a lot of police resource is being used to police illegal actions in the name of protest. If that wasn't happening, the resource could be used to police day-to-day crime like the increasing number of stabbings.

The fact the stabbings happen is not directly linked to the ER protests obviously, but my point stands. Resources to respond to any crime are stretched because of the protests, as they would with any police op of this scale (which is incomparable to a football match, in response to a flippant comment earlier). How can that be disputed?

Flashheart

« Reply #31216 on: Friday, October 11, 2019, 11:44:26 »

The two are completely unrelated.

There was no reason to mention stabbings at all. None. And there was a clear link deliberately made between people being stabbed and police resources being used. I'm not buying it.

I have work to do now anyway.
Panda Paws

« Reply #31217 on: Friday, October 11, 2019, 11:45:46 »

There was no reason to mention stabbings at all.

I was responding to a post about stabbings! If anything, there was no reason to mention ER's protests, which is a fair challenge.
Flashheart

« Reply #31218 on: Friday, October 11, 2019, 11:46:51 »

OK then, so there was no need to mention ER. It was completely unnecessary.

But now I really must get some work done.
Flashheart

« Reply #31219 on: Friday, October 11, 2019, 12:08:15 »

But one last thing...

I live in London. The place really isn't out of control. I feel no less safe than before.

Obviously there are more stabbings and that's shit, but it's not the like whole city is overran by "mob rule".

I was also taking umbrage to that fact London is out of control and under mob rule, which is nonsense.

Hmmm
Panda Paws

« Reply #31220 on: Friday, October 11, 2019, 12:10:30 »

What's your point? Someone said London is out of control and there's mob rule. I live here. It's not, in my experience.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #31221 on: Friday, October 11, 2019, 12:18:26 »

What's your point? Someone said London is out of control and there's mob rule. I live here. It's not, in my experience.
But the BBC do a good job of making it look as  though it is.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #31222 on: Friday, October 11, 2019, 12:21:13 »

But the BBC do a good job of making it look as  though it is.

The short answer is that London is massive and people don't adjust for that in news stories, because it's out of scale with the rest of the country. If there are about 9m people in London (estimates unsurprisingly vary) then it's damn near double the population of all of Scotland and 45x bigger than Swindon.

If there was a stabbing every day in London, that's the equivalent of 9 a year in Swindon.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #31223 on: Friday, October 11, 2019, 12:22:59 »

It's the same with the US. They are huge compared to the UK, and people reckon the UK is safer.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Flashheart

« Reply #31224 on: Friday, October 11, 2019, 12:24:46 »

It's the same with the US. They are huge compared to the UK, and people reckon the UK is safer.

The UK is safer per capita.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #31225 on: Friday, October 11, 2019, 12:25:51 »

Understand totally what you say, but I am talking solely about the protests,  not the stabbings.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #31226 on: Friday, October 11, 2019, 13:21:11 »

In all the efforts of the likes of PP to deflect from what ER are trying to do, it is perhaps worth remembering that the central issue is asking HMG to act on the declaration of a climate emergency by Parliament.

That it should be necessary, is shown very nicely by this sexy beast...

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/ng-interactive/2019/oct/11/guardian-climate-score-how-did-your-mp-do

Swindon's 2 boys are shown up to be very unsupportive of environmental legislation at 15% for JT and 22% for Buckland.

I'm sure it's nothing to do with them both receiving donations from vested fuel interests...

Buckland received a donation with a value of £5,000 from Offshore Group Newcastle, which makes platforms for oil, gas and wind energy companies. He received a Conservative summer party ticket worth £500 from Michael Hintze, who funds the climate science sceptic group, Global Warming Policy Foundation.

Tomlinson received a donation with a value of £5,000 from Alexander Temerko, the oil, gas and wind energy tycoon.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #31227 on: Friday, October 11, 2019, 15:56:39 »

People are frightened of flying to Turkey at the moment because of the trouble developing. Yeah, if you were flying in to Urfa or Mardin near the Syrian border then you might be more concerned but if you're going to the West, say Bodrum, Izmir, Marmaris etc. it is totally fine (aside from usual travelling concerns and common sense).

The over reactions that happen are for e.g like, me living in Sheffield and visiting my Aunt in Leeds, but there is a bomb scare in Birmingham on the same day. Sorry Aunt, I can't visit now because Birmingham.

Same applies in the sense to stabbings in nodnoL. I live in Stoke Newy and I'm visiting my friend (it's a lie, I have no friends) in London Fields but someone got stabbed in Brixton. Sorry mate gotta cancel that delicious Sunday Lunch at the Wringer & Mangle cos ya know...stabbings. Stabbings everywhere. Got the locksmith coming round to add extra locks and just bought an apocalypse shelter.  Roll Eyes

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #31228 on: Friday, October 11, 2019, 16:05:41 »

You’d be safe from stabbing, you’d bore them to tears before they even got the knife out

Things get better but they never get good
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #31229 on: Friday, October 11, 2019, 16:16:24 »

Well at least I've managed to travel to "dangerous" locations around the world. Had I listened to the media I'd be indoors 24/7.

Death becomes ye, I tell thee.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Pages: 1 ... 2079 2080 2081 [2082] 2083 2084 2085 ... 2656   Go Up
Print
Jump to: