Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 ... 28   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Books Books Booksy Books  (Read 110186 times)
A Gent Orange

Ignore
« Reply #330 on: Wednesday, February 17, 2016, 16:48:31 »

Just finished The Nowhere Men, the book in football scouts and scouting. It's pretty interesting stuff largely, and having also just read Living On The Volcano, I'm starting to feel that author Michael Calvin can feel a bit repetitive. This is better than Volcano though as Calvin's voice feels less likely to opine and disappear down little back alleys of editorial.

BOO gets a mention too as a hot prospect.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #331 on: Wednesday, February 17, 2016, 19:56:55 »

Reading The Book of Night Women by Marlon James.it is bloody marvellous

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #332 on: Tuesday, May 17, 2016, 16:22:08 »

I've just finished Ian Brady's book. Quite insightful really but on another level amusing because of how often his narcissism collapses in on itself. He is far from a stupid man but nowhere near as clever as he thinks he is. 

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
A Gent Orange

Ignore
« Reply #333 on: Wednesday, May 18, 2016, 09:35:00 »

Eduardo Galeano's Soccer in Sun and Shadow (read as Tim Vickery on WFPI always mentions it) is a flimsy bit of fun. Its excitable, lightweight and probably unreliable as a source but it never drags. It is useful though as football's history is so often European-centric and this isn't.

That said Johnny Wilson's history of Argentine football is out soon and I bet that will be pretty good, if drier.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #334 on: Wednesday, May 18, 2016, 16:47:44 »

Eduardo Galeano's Soccer in Sun and Shadow (read as Tim Vickery on WFPI always mentions it) is a flimsy bit of fun. Its excitable, lightweight and probably unreliable as a source but it never drags. It is useful though as football's history is so often European-centric and this isn't.

That said Johnny Wilson's history of Argentine football is out soon and I bet that will be pretty good, if drier.

Johnny Wilson? Behave.

Angels with Dirty Faces will be... Comprehensive.
A Gent Orange

Ignore
« Reply #335 on: Monday, November 21, 2016, 19:46:56 »

Angels with Dirty Faces will be... Comprehensive.

Don't worry, it is. Does a very good job of covering a lot of ground over its 500ish pages but with a much lighter touch than some of his earlier work.

At times it does suffer a bit from having to explain every year's title race and how Argentinian football was structured that year but then it does keep changing and without that it wouldn't be a history, just selected highlights.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #336 on: Tuesday, November 22, 2016, 17:46:48 »

Anyone read Arab Jazz?Like the sound of it but very mixed reviews

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #337 on: Monday, May 1, 2017, 18:04:03 »

New Jo Nesbø book out, anyone read it?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #338 on: Monday, May 1, 2017, 18:34:17 »

Interesting idea here that frequent readers make the best lovers...

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/apr/28/readers-best-lovers-dating-apps-empathy-profile

somewhat undermined by the fact that for fellas reading Ricjhard Branson business books, apparently attracts birds. No doubt looking for a fat wallet.

Might be worth sticking a few on the shelf, or dropping into conversation mind  Smiley
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #339 on: Monday, May 1, 2017, 21:49:42 »

Interesting idea here that frequent readers make the best lovers...

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/apr/28/readers-best-lovers-dating-apps-empathy-profile

somewhat undermined by the fact that for fellas reading Ricjhard Branson business books, apparently attracts birds. No doubt looking for a fat wallet.

Might be worth sticking a few on the shelf, or dropping into conversation mind  Smiley

With skills like calling them birds and assuming the majority are money grabbers I'm surprised you need any tips on attracting women reg!

Amir

« Reply #340 on: Saturday, June 3, 2017, 19:47:25 »

I'd really got out of the habit of reading, so I bought I, Partridge. Exactly what I needed and almost finished it already.

i've got a Naomi Klein one to read next, but I'd really rather get the next Partridge one. I'm not sure I'd enjoy it as much though, the best bit of I, Partridge, was about the radio 4 show and first two tv series. I never really watched the series where he was living in a portable home, so I didn't have the same connection.
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #341 on: Saturday, June 3, 2017, 19:53:57 »

As someone whose absorbed pretty much all of the partridge canon (repeatedly in most cases) you won't need to have seen it to enjoy Nomad. If that is the book you mean, it's very funny regardless.

StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #342 on: Saturday, June 3, 2017, 20:08:56 »

As someone whose absorbed pretty much all of the partridge canon (repeatedly in most cases) you won't need to have seen it to enjoy Nomad. If that is the book you mean, it's very funny regardless.

+1

Coogan's autobiography is pretty good too
Amir

« Reply #343 on: Saturday, June 3, 2017, 20:18:30 »

That's the badger. So what other Partridge stuff does that relate to? I saw Alpha Papa and thought that was pretty meh. I forgot to mention The Day Today earlier though. His football commentary on that Cheesy
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #344 on: Saturday, June 3, 2017, 21:07:15 »

That's the badger. So what other Partridge stuff does that relate to? I saw Alpha Papa and thought that was pretty meh. I forgot to mention The Day Today earlier though. His football commentary on that Cheesy
Twat! (That's a quote from Partridge's goal commentary, not aimed at you!) The Day Today was fucking genius, Armando Iannucci is a comedy god.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 ... 28   Go Up
Print
Jump to: