Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 ... 35   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon V Pikeys Official Matchday Thread!  (Read 47239 times)

Ignore
« Reply #375 on: Saturday, August 8, 2009, 19:00:19 »

having a makeshift team for the first fixture of the season is very worrying indeed
Rich Pullen

« Reply #376 on: Saturday, August 8, 2009, 19:05:43 »

having a makeshift team for the first fixture of the season is very worrying indeed

I would agree with this to a degree.

After today no one can argue in favour of patience because we don't want more humiliating losses like this... But a striker isn't responsible for defending so there are other areas needeing covering.

A busy week/August ahead me thinks.
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #377 on: Saturday, August 8, 2009, 19:27:35 »

just to make things slightly more depressing my mate went to withdean today and said man of the match was a certain sam parkin.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #378 on: Saturday, August 8, 2009, 19:31:00 »

Why am I not surprised?

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #379 on: Saturday, August 8, 2009, 19:31:57 »

I would agree with this to a degree.

After today no one can argue in favour of patience because we don't want more humiliating losses like this... But a striker isn't responsible for defending so there are other areas needeing covering.

A busy week/August ahead me thinks.

I see your point but I cant agree.

Defending isnt just about the defence. You defend as a team, I know for obvious reasons you dont get to many games but Cox & Paynter both used to chase everything and work their bollocks off. Put the defender under pressure make him make a pass, dont give him time.

Of course not all strikers do this but by having one upfront or what not you take away this opition. Paynter cant chase across the back line on his own

I just read through the comments... I wish I didn't.

At this point I won't adhere in writing this season off because 1) it's day one and 2) this time last year people were buzzing (with a fair amount of caution too) after a opening day win under Maurice Malpas.

Things change... Today wasn't good enough, in footballing terms it was a total disaster but I won't be be telling the currently smug "I told you we're crap" posters from thisis that they're right just yet...

Saying that I don't recall many people on here saying that we had a definate promotion chasing team... I read comments applauding the signings, and rightly so because they are decent players. We know what Gordon Greer can do for example... so we lose 5-0 and all of a sudden he's not good enough?

I'm not going overboard with the gloom but it has re-affirmed my stance that we are no better than we were last season.

There was a 40-page pull out from the Adver and both Andrew Fitton and Danny Wilson said their were aiming for the play offs. Which in my opinion was stupid, it makes a rod for Wilsons back and it means the aims are clear.

What if it comes to late January and we're 14th and miles away from the chasing pack? do we get rid of Wilson there and then for failing what is nigh on an impossible task?

Plus, the mere mention of the play offs gets are fans going. It did last season. Play Offs were never a realistic chance last season period. Some players mention it in an interview and our fans believe the bullshit.

Same thing this season. I dont know who they picked or where they were but today the played some sound bites of our fans talking about our chances next season. Champions was mentioned, 3rd was mentioned, play offs, in and around the play offs. I think one person mentioned mid table.

Already our fans expectation levels are through the roof and what happens when we get 3/4 months into the season and we arent meeting their stupid high expectations. The booing starts, the call for the managers head and bang we're exactly where we were last season.

OK, I've gone on now. The point is - todays result was a disgrace but isnt the end of the world and isnt an indication of how the whole season will go. However, I hope it does squash the play off talk - it probably will sadly for relegation talk!

We dont need to worry about either.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #380 on: Saturday, August 8, 2009, 19:39:45 »

There's no point in saying fans expectations are too high following one match. Losing 5-0 is going to be a shock, if management had stated a season of mid-table consolidation then this result is hardly indicative of that either.

Relegation it is then Smiley

edit: that makes more sense now, I didn't even drink much last night.
« Last Edit: Sunday, August 9, 2009, 11:38:56 by Si Pie » Logged
Rich Pullen

« Reply #381 on: Saturday, August 8, 2009, 19:43:15 »

Good reply DV... I would say that my comments reference defending are somewhat two dimensional, I appreciate what you're saying but I don't know - I guess I'm hoping it was simply a bad day for us Smiley

Time will tell on that one.
Spy

Ignore
« Reply #382 on: Saturday, August 8, 2009, 19:44:37 »

Well that was a bit shit! Oh and I just wanna say to the guys I was talking to from Victoris to Gillingham then who I sat by on the train back and I said "are you the guys I was talking to earlier, yeah?" and you said no... It's not even as if I was being a knob (and I admit I have done before).

You're cunts and I hate you.  Wish
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #383 on: Saturday, August 8, 2009, 19:47:56 »

If my expectations are too high than tuff..mid table shit is not for me....and shouldnt be for anyone at the club.....we lost 5-0 today and if anyone forkin out nigh on £100 today did boo who are we to say they are wrong.....i for one wouldnt begrudge them it.
Red Army 09

« Reply #384 on: Saturday, August 8, 2009, 19:57:39 »

If this result doesnt trigger fitton to get his chequebook out then i dont know what will...

Disgrace...

I am praying that we have a classy striker in by tuesday..
Spud

« Reply #385 on: Saturday, August 8, 2009, 20:09:03 »

I can't believe someone texted in after the game saying that we would still make the play-off's! Anybody who thought this anyway have clearly been on the ale.

Ignore
« Reply #386 on: Saturday, August 8, 2009, 20:17:40 »

what like fitton and wilson?
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #387 on: Saturday, August 8, 2009, 20:18:01 »

We went out with a ridiculous formation and starting line-up given what's happened in pre-season. We should have played 4-4-2 with Macklin up front - it's not ideal but it's worked ok and would have done for the time being.

I think one of the biggest problems today was that we were playing 5 in mindfield (if you include McNamee) but ignored them, and played straight over the top. Goodness knows where the midfield was defensively though. The only time we looked dangerous was when we had a bit of pace on both wings, when Macca got wide. For the rest of the match we were constantly giving the ball away and had no idea.

There are few words that can describe today, I just want to ignore the game completely. I don't think I've ever shouted abuse at the team as they've left the pitch before, but today they deserved everything they got. Only Lucas, Macca, Paynter and Macklin came close to earning their place for Tuesday. I'm disappointed to see that there's been no apology from the club to the hundreds who got up early and travelled, as that has to be one of the worst performances I have ever seen from a Swindon side.
glos_robin

« Reply #388 on: Saturday, August 8, 2009, 20:21:02 »

I'm not really going to be negative or comment on todays game but I think it's a big couple of weeks for Fitton. As a businessman he is obviously very astute but when it comes to football he's a bit naive and showing his inexperience, at this moment in time his investment and youth philosophy is a million miles away from working. I appreciate this is a kind of unfashionable thing to say but after the Malpas, Wilson appointment sagas etc he really does need to start getting the football side of things right.

Onto the team we are at least lacking a left back, attacking midfielder and a couple of strikers which are obvious and we all know this. The most worrying thing though is that without at least a couple of these we are almost definately relegation fodder with pretty much no goals in the team at present.

I can definitely see us improving but I think Ifil needs to come back into the team, we need his pace. Sod the mistakes he makes Morrison and Greer together is the same as Viveash and Reeves and resulted in the same kind of outcome. It's going to be a big August for Fitton, Wilson and STFC as a whole.
Rich Pullen

« Reply #389 on: Saturday, August 8, 2009, 20:24:50 »

Good post Glos_Robin
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 ... 35   Go Up
Print
Jump to: