Pages: 1 ... 839 840 841 [842] 843 844 845   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Ex Swindon Town Player Where Are They Now Thread  (Read 2469361 times)
Peter Venkman
Tesco Value John Motson

Enjoy yourself its later than you think.

« Reply #12615 on: Thursday, October 8, 2020, 11:13:18 »

Going back over the years its rather depressing to see so many who were noted as 'best talents' who have vanished.
The ones that actually made it is a far far shorter list.

Because I chose to play the fool in a six-piece band
First-night nerves every one-night stand
I should be glad to be so inclined
What a waste! What a waste!
Rock n Roll don't mind.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #12616 on: Thursday, October 8, 2020, 11:44:08 »

The ones that actually made it is a far far shorter list.

Reminds me of this........

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/MatchCentre.asp?AuxiliaryTeam=Youth&MatchID=4519642007

the days when Town could get 17,000 for a youth match... even back then it was difficult for kids to come through, of the STFC side, it was only really the Don and to a much lesser extent Dicky Plumb who made it. Tony Hicks and Bruce Walker played a few and will forever be rememebered for his last minute equaliser v Forest in the Cup.

Man U had a few more including some who went on to win the European Cup... it's moderately interesting that Man U have have fielded at least one hom grown player inevery league game since something like 1936...
Peter Venkman
Tesco Value John Motson

« Reply #12617 on: Thursday, October 8, 2020, 12:16:03 »

the days when Town could get 17,000 for a youth match... even back then it was difficult for kids to come through, of the STFC side, it was only really the Don and to a much lesser extent Dicky Plumb who made it. Tony Hicks and Bruce Walker played a few and will forever be rememebered for his last minute equaliser v Forest in the Cup.
Swindon have never really had many good youngsters come through the ranks that go on to greater things, there were far more pre 80's than post 80's with the likes of Hunt, Rogers and Summerbee etc.

Since 1980 off the top of my head the only players to go from our youth side and have a decent career at the top level have been Paul Rideout, Nicky Summerbee abd possibly Dave Moss who had 3 seasons in Div 1 but was never considered a top division player.

Can't think of any other youth teamers (U19 and below) that have gone on to play more than a handful of games in the top division after leaving Swindon but also to have stayed long enough to play for our 1st team too so that discounts Walcott, Bogle etc.

I am sure you can suggest a few others I have totally forgotten though.

it's moderately interesting that Man U have have fielded at least one hom grown player inevery league game since something like 1936...
That is some stat, Not sure any other club could have done that except maybe Everton or Liverpool.

Rock n Roll don't mind.
river monster

Ignore
« Reply #12618 on: Thursday, October 8, 2020, 12:18:41 »

Did Sean Morrison come through our set up? Hes been a premier league captain...
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #12619 on: Thursday, October 8, 2020, 12:21:38 »

Technically I think he was a Plymuff youth player.
Peter Venkman
Tesco Value John Motson

« Reply #12620 on: Thursday, October 8, 2020, 12:22:17 »

He came to us from Plymouth as an 17 year old I think. He only played 50 games in the Premier League though so not really an established top divison player, more like a player who flirted with it.

Rock n Roll don't mind.
river monster

Ignore
« Reply #12621 on: Thursday, October 8, 2020, 12:26:33 »

Ah fair enough, the only other one I can think comes close is Jutkiewicz?  Not really top flight established but played the majority in the top two leagues...
Peter Venkman
Tesco Value John Motson

« Reply #12622 on: Thursday, October 8, 2020, 12:27:32 »

Ah fair enough, the only other one I can think comes close is Jutkiewicz?
He came to us from Southamptons youth team.

Rock n Roll don't mind.
river monster

Ignore
« Reply #12623 on: Thursday, October 8, 2020, 12:28:51 »

Oh right, cheers. Yeah slim pickings then...
bigbobjoylove

Ignore
« Reply #12624 on: Thursday, October 8, 2020, 12:34:29 »

John Bostock released by Toulouse.
Peter Venkman
Tesco Value John Motson

« Reply #12625 on: Thursday, October 8, 2020, 12:45:31 »

John Bostock released by Toulouse.
Said to be going back to Forest, at a good age still, shame we never saw the best of him.

Rock n Roll don't mind.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #12626 on: Thursday, October 8, 2020, 12:47:20 »

Swindon have never really had many good youngsters come through the ranks that go on to greater things, there were far more pre 80's than post 80's with the likes of Hunt, Rogers and Summerbee etc.

Since 1980 off the top of my head the only players to go from our youth side and have a decent career at the top level have been Paul Rideout, Nicky Summerbee abd possibly Dave Moss who had 3 seasons in Div 1 but was never considered a top division player.

Can't think of any other youth teamers (U19 and below) that have gone on to play more than a handful of games in the top division after leaving Swindon but also to have stayed long enough to play for our 1st team too so that discounts Walcott, Bogle etc.

I am sure you can suggest a few others I have totally forgotten though.
That is some stat, Not sure any other club could have done that except maybe Everton or Liverpool.

Think it's axiomatic that a Div 3/4 club will not produce many players who go on to play top flight.... of more importance is how many make a decent pro career out of it, and so I'd include in that the likes of Scott Doe.... someone mentioned Will Evans t'other day, most on here didn't know who he was, but if you play and get aid for it, not a bad lifestyle.

We had Callum Kennedy on LS, who still makes a living from the game.

Lukas Jutkiewicz, played a few Prem games and plenty of Div 2.   It would be interesting to do a definitive list.
DV Canio
Rock, paper, scissors, lizard, Spock

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #12627 on: Thursday, October 8, 2020, 12:55:21 »

Think it's axiomatic that a Div 3/4 club will not produce many players who go on to play top flight.... of more importance is how many make a decent pro career out of it, and so I'd include in that the likes of Scott Doe.... someone mentioned Will Evans t'other day, most on here didn't know who he was, but if you play and get aid for it, not a bad lifestyle.

We had Callum Kennedy on LS, who still makes a living from the game.

Lukas Jutkiewicz, played a few Prem games and plenty of Div 2.   It would be interesting to do a definitive list.

Because of the hours I was working at the time I watched along of the youths between about 04-09ish.

Doe was definitely a better centre half than Leigh Henry was. Im sure he would have rooted any trees for us particularly how awful our defence was back then but I still think he was worth a pro deal - even if just a year to see.

Hes probably had the longest career out of that youth side
bigbobjoylove

Ignore
« Reply #12628 on: Thursday, October 8, 2020, 14:01:26 »

Paul Trollope new assistant manager at Nottingham Forest
horlock07

Lives up north

Ignore
« Reply #12629 on: Thursday, October 8, 2020, 14:04:26 »

Because of the hours I was working at the time I watched along of the youths between about 04-09ish.

Doe was definitely a better centre half than Leigh Henry was. Im sure he would have rooted any trees for us particularly how awful our defence was back then but I still think he was worth a pro deal - even if just a year to see.

Hes probably had the longest career out of that youth side

Looking at wiki I didn't realise that Doe had made such a go of league football, of more note is how the fuck is he now 31 and looking at the pic he has had quite the paper round.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Doe
Pages: 1 ... 839 840 841 [842] 843 844 845   Go Up
Print
Jump to: