Pages: 1 ... 839 840 841 [842] 843 844 845 ... 1214   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Ex Swindon Town Player Where Are They Now Thread  (Read 4292918 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I知 A Scientist.

« Reply #12615 on: Thursday, October 8, 2020, 11:16:03 »

the days when Town could get 17,000 for a youth match... even back then it was difficult for kids to come through, of the STFC side, it was only really the Don and to a much lesser extent Dicky Plumb who made it. Tony Hicks and Bruce Walker played a few and will forever be rememebered for his last minute equaliser v Forest in the Cup.
Swindon have never really had many good youngsters come through the ranks that go on to greater things, there were far more pre 80's than post 80's with the likes of Hunt, Rogers and Summerbee etc.

Since 1980 off the top of my head the only players to go from our youth side and have a decent career at the top level have been Paul Rideout, Nicky Summerbee abd possibly Dave Moss who had 3 seasons in Div 1 but was never considered a top division player.

Can't think of any other youth teamers (U19 and below) that have gone on to play more than a handful of games in the top division after leaving Swindon but also to have stayed long enough to play for our 1st team too so that discounts Walcott, Bogle etc.

I am sure you can suggest a few others I have totally forgotten though.

it's moderately interesting that Man U have have fielded at least one hom grown player inevery league game since something like 1936...
That is some stat, Not sure any other club could have done that except maybe Everton or Liverpool.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
river monster

Ignore
« Reply #12616 on: Thursday, October 8, 2020, 11:18:41 »

Did Sean Morrison come through our set up? Hes been a premier league captain...
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #12617 on: Thursday, October 8, 2020, 11:21:38 »

Technically I think he was a Plymuff youth player.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #12618 on: Thursday, October 8, 2020, 11:22:17 »

He came to us from Plymouth as an 17 year old I think. He only played 50 games in the Premier League though so not really an established top divison player, more like a player who flirted with it.

river monster

Ignore
« Reply #12619 on: Thursday, October 8, 2020, 11:26:33 »

Ah fair enough, the only other one I can think comes close is Jutkiewicz?  Not really top flight established but played the majority in the top two leagues...
Peter Venkman

« Reply #12620 on: Thursday, October 8, 2020, 11:27:32 »

Ah fair enough, the only other one I can think comes close is Jutkiewicz?
He came to us from Southamptons youth team.

river monster

Ignore
« Reply #12621 on: Thursday, October 8, 2020, 11:28:51 »

Oh right, cheers. Yeah slim pickings then...
bigbobjoylove

Ignore
« Reply #12622 on: Thursday, October 8, 2020, 11:34:29 »

John Bostock released by Toulouse.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #12623 on: Thursday, October 8, 2020, 11:45:31 »

John Bostock released by Toulouse.
Said to be going back to Forest, at a good age still, shame we never saw the best of him.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #12624 on: Thursday, October 8, 2020, 11:47:20 »

Swindon have never really had many good youngsters come through the ranks that go on to greater things, there were far more pre 80's than post 80's with the likes of Hunt, Rogers and Summerbee etc.

Since 1980 off the top of my head the only players to go from our youth side and have a decent career at the top level have been Paul Rideout, Nicky Summerbee abd possibly Dave Moss who had 3 seasons in Div 1 but was never considered a top division player.

Can't think of any other youth teamers (U19 and below) that have gone on to play more than a handful of games in the top division after leaving Swindon but also to have stayed long enough to play for our 1st team too so that discounts Walcott, Bogle etc.

I am sure you can suggest a few others I have totally forgotten though.
That is some stat, Not sure any other club could have done that except maybe Everton or Liverpool.

Think it's axiomatic that a Div 3/4 club will not produce many players who go on to play top flight.... of more importance is how many make a decent pro career out of it, and so I'd include in that the likes of Scott Doe.... someone mentioned Will Evans t'other day, most on here didn't know who he was, but if you play and get aid for it, not a bad lifestyle.

We had Callum Kennedy on LS, who still makes a living from the game.

Lukas Jutkiewicz, played a few Prem games and plenty of Div 2.   It would be interesting to do a definitive list.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #12625 on: Thursday, October 8, 2020, 11:55:21 »

Think it's axiomatic that a Div 3/4 club will not produce many players who go on to play top flight.... of more importance is how many make a decent pro career out of it, and so I'd include in that the likes of Scott Doe.... someone mentioned Will Evans t'other day, most on here didn't know who he was, but if you play and get aid for it, not a bad lifestyle.

Lukas Jutkiewicz, played a few Prem games and plenty of Div 2.   It would be interesting to do a definitive list.

Because of the hours I was working at the time I watched along of the youths between about 04-09ish.

Doe was definitely a better centre half than Leigh Henry was. I知 sure he would have rooted any trees for us particularly how awful our defence was back then but I still think he was worth a pro deal - even if just a year to see.

He痴 probably had the longest career out of that youth side
bigbobjoylove

Ignore
« Reply #12626 on: Thursday, October 8, 2020, 13:01:26 »

Paul Trollope new assistant manager at Nottingham Forest
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #12627 on: Thursday, October 8, 2020, 13:04:26 »

Because of the hours I was working at the time I watched along of the youths between about 04-09ish.

Doe was definitely a better centre half than Leigh Henry was. I知 sure he would have rooted any trees for us particularly how awful our defence was back then but I still think he was worth a pro deal - even if just a year to see.

He痴 probably had the longest career out of that youth side

Looking at wiki I didn't realise that Doe had made such a go of league football, of more note is how the fuck is he now 31 and looking at the pic he has had quite the paper round.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Doe
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #12628 on: Thursday, October 8, 2020, 13:13:55 »

Technically I think he was a Plymuff youth player.
He was in their schoolboy side, then a 1st year scholar (youth team) but was released when a new Academy manager came in. I think, though if I remember correctly from the LS episode with him, that he did join our youth team initially before fairly quickly being promoted to the first team. He's definitely a Plymouth product though, even if he did technically spend a bit of time in our youth team (and I might be misremembering that, even)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #12629 on: Thursday, October 8, 2020, 13:20:09 »

You could add in Billy Bodin, Nathan and Louis Thompson, Luke Garrard now making a decent career as a manager, Jake Hyde, Michael Pook and Chris Zebroski to the list. Bound to be more than that. As PV's already noted Walcott and Bogle also came out of our youth system so while they didn't play for us at senior level, if Morrison counts as a Plymouth product, they both started in our youth system.
Pages: 1 ... 839 840 841 [842] 843 844 845 ... 1214   Go Up
Print
Jump to: