Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 ... 27   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon V Franchise.  (Read 30904 times)
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #270 on: Saturday, March 7, 2009, 22:58:51 »

Why the fuck do people think Easton is the answer to our situation. He was good last season and has been bollox when has played this season. I'm firmly in the DV camp of realism about our situation
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #271 on: Saturday, March 7, 2009, 22:59:30 »

on a positive note, i really liked our kit today
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #272 on: Saturday, March 7, 2009, 23:06:19 »

Today is weird. I was really chuffed with the performance but it has had the opposite effect on me. Against the likes of Cheltenham and Hartlepool we didnt win but we knew our team could have played better.

It depends what context you look at the game in. In isolation, or if we were mid table we'd pretty much all be saying it was a great performance but a shame we didn't score and get the three points.

Look at it in the context of the season we have let two vital points get away. Two points that could end up being the difference between relegation and survival.

We still have the teams around us. We have to hope that somehow we defy our form against lower half teams and beat them.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #273 on: Saturday, March 7, 2009, 23:14:45 »

Amankwaah was deemed to be shit when playing for Malpas. Wilson seems to have got some good performances out of him. Who knows, maybe the same can happen with Easton?

I do know what you're getting at though and agree on this point. Too many times people think the solution is a different player and it turns out not to be the case. That's not to say a player cannot come in a rejuvenated player, just like Amankwaah.

There can be no 'camp of realism' though. We've spent practically all season outside the drop zone, we're not leaking as many goals and suddenly people seem to think the 'realistic' viewpoint is that we're not good enough and we're going down. There are two sides to the argument, the optimistic and the pessimistic. The realistic only becomes true if you're in Cheltanham's shoes and you're a s good as down. Until then, everyone else around the drop zone has got a good a chance as any to stay up or go down.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #274 on: Saturday, March 7, 2009, 23:26:30 »

Surprised nobody has accused him of doing a Cureton an purposely missing to engineer a move by getting us relegated. Or whatever it was Cureton was supposed to have done.

I dont suppose Cox has a 'can get out of his contract for free if the team get relegated' clause in his contract
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #275 on: Saturday, March 7, 2009, 23:28:26 »

I dont suppose Cox has a 'can get out of his contract for free if the team get relegated' clause in his contract

He's not been 100% for ages now, I think he needs a rest. Trouble is, you can't afford to rest your leading goalscorer, especially when Blair Sturrock seems to be his direct replacement.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #276 on: Saturday, March 7, 2009, 23:42:48 »

yeah i see what you are saying dv.
one thing i am sure about is that wilson is evaluating his squad and giving some individuals playing time.i have read some comments thinking marshall was a positive.i thought he did one good thing(tried to beat his man and got a corner out of it)but i dont think we will see him play again.

Marshall didnt see much of the ball when he came on but the most obvious thing of note was he is alot more direct than McNamee and Kanu. He got his head down and ran. He actually got in behind the full back a few times. Two crosses got blocked for corners and the other time Lewington took him down because he knew he was away from him.

Now is really not the time to throw someone like Marshall in to asses him as we need points desperatly but maybe his directness might help us but I've not seen enough to know what his end product or defending is like

Why the fuck do people think Easton is the answer to our situation. He was good last season and has been bollox when has played this season. I'm firmly in the DV camp of realism about our situation

I think the difference between say Easton and Peacock this season is that Peacock has had a run in the team and Easton hasnt. They were our midfielders last season and they did a good job of it. Peacock hasnt lived up to it this season. Neither has Easton but Easton hasnt played enough. I'm a firm believer that someone playing every week is better than someone who isnt. The example would be say Shaun Wright-Phillips, awesome at Man City playing every week, first name on the team sheet. Went to Chelsea didnt play every week and is now a poorer player for it.

I'd like to see Easton given a run of games in midfield to see if he can be like he was last season but thats more out of hope than logic or anything else

It depends what context you look at the game in. In isolation, or if we were mid table we'd pretty much all be saying it was a great performance but a shame we didn't score and get the three points.

Look at it in the context of the season we have let two vital points get away. Two points that could end up being the difference between relegation and survival.

We still have the teams around us. We have to hope that somehow we defy our form against lower half teams and beat them.

At the moment I am looking purely at points. We do not win enough, the odd draw here and there is alright if you back them up with a few wins. Leicester and Millwall were good draws but then we go and lose to Hartlepool. We'd have been better off losing to Leicester and Millwall and beating Hartlepool.

Any other time in the season and I suppose i'd be happy about todays performance but the fact is we still cant seem to buy a win even when we play well like today. If our best, or at least if our decent form isnt enough to win games then what is? At the moment it looks like a team like Leyton Orient will drag themselves out of because in every 5 games they lose 2 and win 2 and draw 1. We on the other hand lose 0 and draw 5. They get 7 points we get 5.

Amankwaah was deemed to be shit when playing for Malpas. Wilson seems to have got some good performances out of him. Who knows, maybe the same can happen with Easton?

I do know what you're getting at though and agree on this point. Too many times people think the solution is a different player and it turns out not to be the case. That's not to say a player cannot come in a rejuvenated player, just like Amankwaah.

There can be no 'camp of realism' though. We've spent practically all season outside the drop zone, we're not leaking as many goals and suddenly people seem to think the 'realistic' viewpoint is that we're not good enough and we're going down. There are two sides to the argument, the optimistic and the pessimistic. The realistic only becomes true if you're in Cheltanham's shoes and you're a s good as down. Until then, everyone else around the drop zone has got a good a chance as any to stay up or go down.

Of course Amankwaah wasnt 'shit' under Malpas our stupid over re-active short term memory fans thought he was shit under Malpas. He came in to cover for injury and did alright, nothing like his current form but far from shit. Then he had a mare against Huddersfield and I dont think he played again till Wilson came in did he?

I'm not saying he was brilliant but he was ok under Malpas apart from Huddersfield but thats the one most of our fans remember. Not for example his first game away at MK when he was pretty damn solid.

Wilson and Amankwaah have previous, I mean Wilson gave Amankwaah his first professional contract and kept faith with him after he spent a long time out injured after his car crash. Wilson obviously rates him and you can see the confidence in Amankwaah, he's probably been our only improved player under Wilson, all the rest have been much the same.

Of course you are correct Si when you say our defence is much more solid but we dont look as good going forward. I used to fancy us to score every game but as soon as Cox hit the bar today it just seemed like it wasnt going to be our day. For once I dont have all the stats but Cox seemed to score more under Malpas. Now maybe we've sacrificed some of Cox attacking play to shore up the team (ie Cox dropping deep) I dunno.

Maybe Cox is just burnt out. I suppose this is probably his first actual full season and he's probably played more than all our players. He missed one game through suspension and got subbed off once but I think he's played every other minute
« Last Edit: Saturday, March 7, 2009, 23:45:25 by DV » Logged

Ignore
« Reply #277 on: Saturday, March 7, 2009, 23:47:51 »

the thing with easton from my point of view is that he was superb last season.he has had a dip in form this year but hasn't had the chance under wilson to get it back.i have slated amankwaa as i thought he was utter shite.but today he was excellent.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #278 on: Saturday, March 7, 2009, 23:52:18 »

The only midfielder who has strung a consistent run of 3 or 4 decent games together this season has been Pook,. Admittedly, he has been shite in some games but he had a real purple patch that no others have. Easton does not impose himself on the opposition. Peacock runs out of steam and can' pass. Timlin is a 1 in 10 players, gives the ball away far too cheaply and does a lot of really dumb, stupid tackles, Nalis is shot, Kanyuka is a promising player but not a midfielder,  JPM was better when Malaps went but has zero bottle, etc, etc.
I'm not talking up Pook, merely stating that the others are equally as shite if not worse - our midfield is booolx and it doesn't matter what combination you use, they're all equally ineffective.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #279 on: Saturday, March 7, 2009, 23:54:53 »

The only midfielder who has strung a consistent run of 3 or 4 decent games together this season has been Pook,. Admittedly, he has been shite in some games but he had a real purple patch that no others have. Easton does not impose himself on the opposition. Peacock runs out of steam and can' pass. Timlin is a 1 in 10 players, gives the ball away far too cheaply and does a lot of really dumb, stupid tackles, Nalis is shot, Kanyuka is a promising player but not a midfielder,  JPM was better when Malaps went but has zero bottle, etc, etc.
I'm not talking up Pook, merely stating that the others are equally as shite if not worse - our midfield is booolx and it doesn't matter what combination you use, they're all equally ineffective.

Whilst that is all true.

Easton, Peacock, Timlin and JPM all did a good job for us last season.

They were good enough players then and they have all suddenly gone downhill this season for whatever reason. I guess alot of our fans hope they will regain the form they had under Sturrock.

Although this probably says more about Sturrock and his coaches compared to Wilson and our current coaches than the players in question.

Apart from Comminges did we lose any first teamers over the summer? Same squad, worse results
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #280 on: Saturday, March 7, 2009, 23:55:41 »

the thing with easton from my point of view is that he was superb last season.he has had a dip in form this year but hasn't had the chance under wilson to get it back.i have slated amankwaa as i thought he was utter shite.but today he was excellent.

Easton was not superb last season, he was the best of a bad bunch. He was OK to good, nothing more but still good enough to be in the top 3 of Player of the Season. That's basically because the others were shite and the bar was set so low.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #281 on: Saturday, March 7, 2009, 23:59:22 »

but thats not true at all though.

we were far from shite last season and the likes of Comminges, Aljofree, Ifil, Vincent, JPM, Easton, Peacock, Cox & Paynter all had decent seasons.

Easton wasnt the best of a bad bunch last season, he was the best of a decent squad that comfortabley finished mid table

Ignore
« Reply #282 on: Sunday, March 8, 2009, 00:01:50 »

cannot agree chalkies.last year he was the centre mid we had been lacking for a few years.he was consistant all year and was robbed of player of the year by comminges
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #283 on: Sunday, March 8, 2009, 00:08:45 »

Oh come on, we were shite last season but it eas more excusable as we'd just gone up. Easton wasn't robbed of POS by Comminges, Comminges was the wild card that came good.Technically he was a bit dodgy but he won us over with his desire. He was also quite a hard bastard as Swansea will no doubt testify to.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #284 on: Sunday, March 8, 2009, 00:10:34 »

how on earth where we shite last season? we finished mid table?
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 ... 27   Go Up
Print
Jump to: