Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Ground Share  (Read 18801 times)
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: Wednesday, April 18, 2007, 12:12:11 »

But he does speak a load of 'Trollope'....

I'll get me coat.  

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Spud

« Reply #121 on: Wednesday, April 18, 2007, 14:51:24 »

Quote from: "fatbury"
would anyone on here buy a season ticket?

Your mate Paul will probably give you a free season ticket.
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: Wednesday, April 18, 2007, 17:07:30 »

a question for Pauld or someone like that. what does the trust make of the groundshare idea? is it something that they would be interested in should the consortium take over or is it something that is simply a no no? also what if the current board agree to it and then the takeover happens. would the trust then decide to cancel the agreement as such? or is this not possible?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: Wednesday, April 18, 2007, 21:09:13 »

I think this is a sufficiently big issue that it would warrant putting to the members before coming up with an "official" Trust line, but if you want my personal opinion, while I can see that the club have a responsibility to explore every avenue to bring in extra revenue, the scheme seems to me to be fraught with potential difficulties. I think the club have a responsibility to talk to Rovers and see what the revenue benefit would be, and then weigh that up against the potential costs, both financial and non-tangible.

My greatest concern, as others have said, would be that if such a scheme were to be entered into without proper consultation of both the local community and the council, and add to that the additional traffic, inconvenience and general hassle, the whole thing could so alienate the local community/council that it torpedoes the prospects of redevloping the CG. If there were any trouble that would exacerbate that several times over - and I don't necessarily think we'd see the "rivers of blood" every weekend scenario some have portrayed, but the problem is it would only take three incidents in the first season to completely tarnish the whole image of football fans in the Town. And it would be no good saying "Oh it wasn't us, it was them nasty Gasheads" - a lot of people don't differentiate they just do a simple equation of "Football = trouble, more football = more trouble". Look at the reaction of some of the locals around the time of the Shaw Tip debacle. It would be beyond ironic if we scuppered our own ground redev to help Rovers with theirs.

It's that aspect, damaging the club's long-term best prospect of viability for the sake of short-term cashflow, that worries me most and at the moment is tipping me into being opposed to it.

As for subsequently cancelling any agreement, I think that's getting very ahead of ourselves on both the Fans Consortium and a groundshare - neither are done deals as yet. But in general terms it would depend on the legal agreement between the two clubs, any penalties agreed for cancellation, the League's view etc etc as to whether it would be even feasible to cancel it. Any new board may find themselves stuck with such an agreement once it's been signed whether they liked it or not.

Like I say the above is really my personal opinion rather than a Trust view but I don't think I'm wildly out of step with it. Hope that helps.
TalkTalk

« Reply #124 on: Wednesday, April 18, 2007, 21:30:25 »

There's another angle to this - the council.

I've given my copy of the club's lease away so I can't check, but it has a hell of a lot of clauses in it. Sub-letting is very probably covered and rightly so.

I can't see the council being favourable to any ground share tbh. Although it might well increase their prospects of getting the rent and rates on time there's loads of negative "bad for Swindon" aspects to this.

When the council are pushing for a bright shiny new Swindon town centre, the last thing they need is bad press because minorities (and yes, from both sets of supporters) want to face up every other week and give us yet more Adver "town centre shoppers shocked by bare knuckle fights" type headlines. Even though most fans are not interested in this sort of thing there will always be those who are. Journalists thrive on it.

Plus the club have quite happily overlooked any form of publicity or consultation with those that historically least matter to them. Like the fans, residents or council.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: Thursday, April 19, 2007, 08:00:49 »

I'm sure there's also the well known clause in the Goddard Estate covenant from 18?? that stipulates the site on which the County Ground is built can only be used for sporting or leisure purposes.

On the basis that the rubbish served up by the Gas each Saturday could not even remotely be described as sport or leisure, I'd say the deal is dead.
Rich Pullen

« Reply #126 on: Thursday, April 19, 2007, 11:36:41 »

Quote from: "Sippo"
But he does speak a load of 'Trollope'....

I'll get me coat.  

Swindon fans probably had decades of jokes like because of his old man... Today sir, you have switched the trend.  :roll:

Soapy Tit Wank
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: Thursday, April 19, 2007, 21:59:35 »

What a coincedence, the club are going to start consultations with residents and fans next week.

http://www.swindontownfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/NewsDetail/0,,10341~1013673,00.html

Wouldn't have anything to do with opinions on internet forums, would it?
TalkTalk

« Reply #128 on: Thursday, April 19, 2007, 22:31:47 »

Quote from: "sam_stfc"
What a coincedence, the club are going to start consultations with residents and fans next week.

http://www.swindontownfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/NewsDetail/0,,10341~1013673,00.html

"Oooops, we did it again"
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: Thursday, April 19, 2007, 22:31:54 »

Maybe they've found a 'fatal flaw' !!!

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: Friday, April 20, 2007, 00:01:56 »

Fair play, at least they are going to consult. As long as it's done properly and not just lip service, I think you have to give credit that it's being done.
millom red

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: Friday, April 20, 2007, 02:40:42 »

Its all bollox...club wise.
Tis all...
Millom

f it dont need fixing....dont fuckin break it

Await The Day
flammableBen

« Reply #132 on: Friday, April 20, 2007, 02:57:14 »

That was pretty poetic millom. You ever thought of a change of career? You know I'd really think you'd make a good writer.
Spud

« Reply #133 on: Friday, April 20, 2007, 04:57:28 »

So we can expect a poll on the adver forum on Monday.  :roll:
glos_robin

« Reply #134 on: Friday, April 20, 2007, 07:22:47 »

Right I'm a little confused about this, Bowden was at the speedway last night and reckoned a decision will made today and was currently 80/20 in Swindons favour............so are they going to make a decision then carry out the the fans consultation as a consultation?

Also he was banding around a figure of 100k for it to anyone that wanted to listen. Is he talking out of his arse again or are the club just misleading fans?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13   Go Up
Print
Jump to: