Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Thoughts from the Brentford game.  (Read 11640 times)
PHIL!!!!
Our Resident Emo Kid

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday, August 22, 2006, 23:51:16 »

Quote from: "RobertT"
You must have been looking the wrong way Sonic!  We had two efforts cleared off the line and Fola had a little game of back heels with a defender on the line.

Caton just popped one over, Evans nearly scored direct from a corner (twice, one at either end) and Brownlie was almost straight through on goal before "allegedly" fouling the player who was behind him, although I think the bloke got a lovely smack in the face from Brownlie's heel on is way down.

Brentford threatened at every set piece in the first half but drifted into half chances after that.

Yep, totally agree with this post

Bassett Bulldogs FC - http://bassettbulldogsfc.co.uk/
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday, August 22, 2006, 23:51:23 »

Quote from: "sonic youth"
the efforts cleared off the line were barely half-chances, one was a goalmouth scramble and the other was when the keeper went walkabout, even so brentford had two defenders on the line.

surely being cleared off the line (so having beaten any keeper in place) would suggest being a bit more than a half chance?
PHIL!!!!
Our Resident Emo Kid

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday, August 22, 2006, 23:53:35 »

the efforts cleared off the line were barely half-chances, one was a goalmouth scramble and the other was when the keeper went walkabout, even so brentford had two defenders on the line.

No they didnt? Are we talking about the one where Fola beat the keeper to the ball, just outside the area and he cut it back to Brownlie (I think it was Brownlie!?) who headed it goalwards, only for the defender to diving head it clear.

Bassett Bulldogs FC - http://bassettbulldogsfc.co.uk/
sonic youth

« Reply #33 on: Tuesday, August 22, 2006, 23:53:40 »

neither looked as if they were likely to go in, so i don't think so
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday, August 22, 2006, 23:56:24 »

I'm yet to be convnced by Vincent, so agree with you there. Nicho should start Saturday, maybe to give him a kick up the backside.

Agree with the rest of the defence - interesting to see Andy Beasley waving his arms about to Phil Smith during the shootout to get him to hop about on his line a bit more - Smith did seem sheepish at times, but doubt many no2s at this level are up to much - improvement on Bulman, Mckinney, Griemink etc etc

Shakes is infuriating - you keep him on because he gets into good positions, but consistently wastes them by skying it into the bank time after time!

Got to disagree completely on Holgate - no work rate?! He was all over the place!! Had the touch to boot as well - ahead of Pook and weston for me.

Brownlie was quiet for much of the game, but when he gotr the ball he used it well. On the ball he reminds of SSP - back to goal a lot and nice lay-offs, sadly the end product isn't there....yet

I thought Fola caused havoc, although sadlyt he didn't finish the job off like he should have. A REAL handful.

Caton def has bulked up - defensively he committed himself a shade to early and it nearly cost us twice - but then he's used to playig up frotn, and that considered, he was decent defensively. Goign forward, he looks to have a lot of confidence, and playing first team doesn't seem to daunt him like many other kids we've had in the past.
sonic youth

« Reply #35 on: Wednesday, August 23, 2006, 00:01:12 »

Quote from: "The Moonraker"
Shakes is infuriating - you keep him on because he gets into good positions, but consistently wastes them by skying it into the bank time after time!

i'm waiting for one of his crosses to hit the scoreboard and break it, firstly it'll save me some grief and secondly i can't be blamed for it.

i seem to be disagreeing with lots of people tonight, maybe i did go to the wrong game
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday, August 23, 2006, 00:08:58 »

Best value I've had for a fiver in ages - cracking game, great atmosphere, bloody hate penalties, love the League Cup. Not sure whether to be happy with performance and having seen a good game or pissed off we're out. Or just glad I'm not a Mackem.
Amir

« Reply #37 on: Wednesday, August 23, 2006, 00:22:47 »

Paul Smith's positioning as the ball was knocked into the box was definately a bit shoddy in the first half, and didn't really have to deal with many more crosses in the game.  Otherwise he did quite well.

Ifil very solid again.

Holgate spent parts of the match not really knowing what was going on.  When he had his head around it he was winning the ball well, and his distribution was good.

Shakes I just don't think will ever be able to cross a ball.  Gets past people with hard work and pace, but his touch is also shocking at times.

Brown worked hard when the ball was coming down the left, which admittedly wasn't very often in the first-half, and his dead ball delivery was superb apart from one wasted free kick.  If he can prove to Wise that his attitude is there then I can see his replacing Monkey at some point.

Fola looked very impressive in the first-half, with virtually every attack involving him.  Think they figured him out a little after that(who would expect a guy looking like that to be skinning people on the wing?), and so was restricted somewhat, although I still felt he did a very good job.

Brownlie didn't show me much tbh.  Obviously likes to get his foot around a ball to strike it, not sure he's an out-an-out striker.

Oh and Evans........he's got a left foot too? Cool
fatbury

« Reply #38 on: Wednesday, August 23, 2006, 07:20:03 »

Evans = Legend

thats about the main thing I leant tonight!

Clap
Luci

Fatbury's Stalker

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday, August 23, 2006, 07:53:00 »

I dont get this at all.  We made 6 changes last night to our full squad with a lot of young players out there. Are we forgetting Brentford fielded a very strong line up with pretty much the majority of their first team?

I think we did brilliantly against a team in a higher league clearly looking for promotion this season.

I think theres a lot of potential there and with Wise on the scene they can only improve.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday, August 23, 2006, 07:53:14 »

Quote from: "The Moonraker"

i'm waiting for one of his crosses to hit the scoreboard and break it, firstly it'll save me some grief and secondly i can't be blamed for it.

i seem to be disagreeing with lots of people tonight, maybe i did go to the wrong game

I had assumed you were suffering from PMT :|
Johno

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday, August 23, 2006, 07:56:46 »

im with ladys comment. even though we lost, and to be honest can't really go on about how we played cause it was the reserves pretty much. The fact is, is that they had there first 11 we had most reserves and took them to penalties, that just shows you how much depth we had. I bet the first teamers last night were abit worried about losing places. It should definitely keep them on there toes.

As a performance we played well and dominated the second half pretty much. we deserved the win in my opinion and about the penalites, westons penalty was close to hitting me!  Soapy Tit Wank
STFCBird
Ralphy's Wet Dream

C U Next Tuesday!

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday, August 23, 2006, 08:00:26 »

I was very impressed with Smith last night, he worked hard and looked confident, him and Shakes worked well together moving forward.  Evans was amazing last night, the man doesn't know how to give up.
SwindonTartanArmy
Go Team GB!

London Scottish - More History than Franchise!

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday, August 23, 2006, 08:37:40 »

My thoughts after sleeping on it. Suprisingly not that gutted after getting knocked out. What was effectively our reserve team out played and dominated a team from a higher division.

Oh and Holgate was fantastic, as were Evans and big Fola. Holgates performance just reinforced my opinion on how crap Pook is. Give the ponce a free transfer now and get Ashan in the team

Vi er best i verden! Vi er best i verden! Vi har slått England 2-1 i fotball!! Det er aldeles utrolig! Vi har slått England! England, kjempers fødeland. Lord Nelson, Lord Beaverbrook, Sir Winston Churchill, Sir Anthony Eden, Clement Attlee, Henry Cooper, Lady Diana--vi har slått dem alle sammen. Vi har slått dem alle sammen. Maggie Thatcher can you hear me?
Your boys took a hell of a beating!"
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday, August 23, 2006, 08:42:23 »

i was far from dissapointed. if anything i was encouraged about the result. its shows we have quality replacement players. Brentford are a good side and for our fringe players to get a draw and at times outplay them is an achievement. just goes to show that if we hadn't got relegated last year we could be mounting a promotion challenge in league 1 under Wise
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: