Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Smith to City  (Read 7014 times)
DMR

« Reply #30 on: Saturday, May 21, 2005, 20:21:29 »

Smith considers contract:

:scribe:
red macca

« Reply #31 on: Saturday, May 21, 2005, 21:50:57 »

Quote from: "sonicyouth"
Quote from: "Ben Wah Balls"
If he stays he's a legend if he leaves he's a cunt.

Harsh. Would you stay if you'd been offered reduced terms despite the fact you'd proved yourself as a first team player, clearly worthy of an improved contract?

If he stays, I'll love him, if he goes then I blame King and the board. Not Smith.
thats right lets blame king and the board as usuall fuck it let them bankrupt the club for greedy bastards like smith who played well 2nd half coz he knew he was out of contract would city and wednesday be offering if he was still on our bench would they bollocks he was trying for himself not the club,on the other hand you duke who gives his all for this club  even if its not good enough least he tries and yet he will get slated week in week out its a fuckin joke,and before anyone says anything my personal opinion of duke is he isnt good enough but i respect the bloke for effort hope smith fucks off
magnum150

« Reply #32 on: Saturday, May 21, 2005, 22:09:22 »

Bit harsh there Deano.

Smith could only play well for the second half of the season because that has been his only run in the team. He has always played well in the reserves but he can only show his stuff when he has the oppurtunity.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Saturday, May 21, 2005, 22:24:48 »

Quote from: "deanored"
thats right lets blame king and the board as usuall fuck it let them bankrupt the club for greedy bastards like smith who played well 2nd half coz he knew he was out of contract would city and wednesday be offering if he was still on our bench would they bollocks he was trying for himself not the club,on the other hand you duke who gives his all for this club  even if its not good enough least he tries and yet he will get slated week in week out its a fuckin joke,and before anyone says anything my personal opinion of duke is he isnt good enough but i respect the bloke for effort hope smith fucks off

Calm down dear, it's just a commercial!

If your coping mechanism for losing Smith is to call him greedy, then that's fair enough but it doesn't mean you're right. As I've already said in this topic, it's highly likely he was offered poor terms on a new contract in comparison to what he has given the team since King finally gave him an extended opportunity. I don't understand the relevance of your point about Duke, it's got fuck all to do with why Smithy's going so you've lost me there. Smith worked hard and it paid off, he got an extended run in the team, he scored goals and became an important player for us. The least he deserves is a decent contract and to slate him for leaving because he's had a better offer is daft.
red macca

« Reply #34 on: Saturday, May 21, 2005, 22:29:12 »

Quote from: "magnum150"
Bit harsh there Deano.

Smith could only play well for the second half of the season because that has been his only run in the team. He has always played well in the reserves but he can only show his stuff when he has the oppurtunity.
37 games he played this.last season season he wasnt good enough howard played instead king proved this year that he was willing to play him if howard didnt perform ,ok being a bit harsh but i dont think the board and king should be blamed for everything
Ben Wah Balls

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Sunday, May 22, 2005, 01:37:27 »

No I don't blame Smith for Howard leaving but then I don't really give a toss about Howard as he's not really worth a new contract anyway the way he's played for most of this year but I'll blame Smith if he leaves definitely.

Certainly makes more sense than blaming King, he's offered Smith the best deal he can, the fact that at one time he wasn't going to offer Smith a contract is irrelevant, Smith had played a fair few games at that point but hadn't looked that great, he's now proved himself and done enough to change King's mind.

I think it's more of a case that some fans coping mechanism for the mess the club is in is to blame everything on King, including stuff that is out of his control.
Spencer_White

« Reply #36 on: Sunday, May 22, 2005, 07:44:36 »

How can anyone blame Smith? He's a free agent. Weve offered him LESS MONEY! And half the clubs in the league are watching him.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Sunday, May 22, 2005, 08:34:06 »

OK then. If King wasn't so pig headed and used Smith insted of ignoring him the reserves for a year and a half (for what I can only guess at was a personaltiy clash) we may have made the playoffs.

Without Smith our season was dead and buried. At least he kept us with an outside chance until the Hartlepool game.

We have no idea how much Smith was on, so to calll him greedy is plain wrong. I like my job, but I wouldn't stay in it if they offered me a massive wage cut, particularily if there are better offers out there.
red macca

« Reply #38 on: Sunday, May 22, 2005, 09:58:24 »

Quote from: "Batch"

OK then. If King wasn't so pig headed and used Smith insted of ignoring him the reserves for a year and a half (for what I can only guess at was a personaltiy clash) we may have made the playoffs.

Without Smith our season was dead and buried. At least he kept us with an outside chance until the Hartlepool game.

We have no idea how much Smith was on, so to calll him greedy is plain wrong. I like my job, but I wouldn't stay in it if they offered me a massive wage cut, particularily if there are better offers out there.
ok i was a bit over the top last night ,fa cup final day,pub,drink,you know the rest but the point i was trying to make iis everyone here is loving smith for what he done but he done it for himself he didnt think he was being offered a contract here did he,and king for the first time admitted he was wrong by offereing a contract  no one will ever know why they clashed and its to easy to blame king but we dont know what happened and i cant help but feel that if he signs for another two years he wont perform at the same level as he wont be in the shop window,and what i said about david duke well like i said fa cup final day Cheesy  Cheesy
Melksham Red

« Reply #39 on: Sunday, May 22, 2005, 11:18:37 »

thats right lets blame king and the board as usuall fuck it let them bankrupt the club for greedy bastards like smith who played well 2nd half coz he knew he was out of contract would city and wednesday be offering if he was still on our bench would they bollocks he was trying for himself not the club,on the other hand you duke who gives his all for this club even if its not good enough least he tries and yet he will get slated week in week out its a fuckin joke,and before anyone says anything my personal opinion of duke is he isnt good enough but i respect the bloke for effort hope smith fucks off

Spot on. And don't apologise for having an opinion either. If someone disagrees then fuck em.
Ben Wah Balls

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Sunday, May 22, 2005, 11:44:40 »

Quote from: "Spencer_White"
How can anyone blame Smith? He's a free agent. Weve offered him LESS MONEY! And half the clubs in the league are watching him.

You could say exactly the same about Mooney leaving last year, I don't remember too many people defending him though.
Johno

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Sunday, May 22, 2005, 11:53:27 »

Exactly. Smith has been here for 2 seasons now and to be honest against leeds in his first start in the first team in the league cup he was very good and then was a forgotten person.

can't blame him for leaving for more money, but to city? its not a step up in his career.
Barry Potter

« Reply #42 on: Sunday, May 22, 2005, 11:58:54 »

Quote from: "Melksham Red"

thats right lets blame king and the board as usuall fuck it let them bankrupt the club for greedy bastards like smith who played well 2nd half coz he knew he was out of contract would city and wednesday be offering if he was still on our bench would they bollocks he was trying for himself not the club,on the other hand you duke who gives his all for this club even if its not good enough least he tries and yet he will get slated week in week out its a fuckin joke,and before anyone says anything my personal opinion of duke is he isnt good enough but i respect the bloke for effort hope smith fucks off

Spot on. And don't apologise for having an opinion either. If someone disagrees then fuck em.

Yes even if the opinion is utter bollocks, someone can still have their say.

Deanored, of course, like all footballers he was trying primarily for himself (whilst at the same time preventing the team finishing about 20th),his whole future was on the line. What the fuck else would he do? Not try?   :roll:

I hope Smith stays but if he doesn't I wish him well where ever he ends up (even City).
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #43 on: Sunday, May 22, 2005, 12:06:44 »

Of course Smith was trying to help himself. Having not been a first team regular he needed to prove himself to King. However he carried on playing that well because he was playing for Swindon not for anybody else. To a certain extent the same could be said of Parkin, who until joining Swindon had failed to set the world alight.

Nobody can be sure of the wage figures being offered but this is by no means a Tommy Mooney situation. I would be fucking disappointed if he went to City though :nono:
Dazzza

« Reply #44 on: Sunday, May 22, 2005, 12:10:53 »

For what it's worth King hasn't helped one bit here.  Appreciate he has had his hands tied by the board and his budget has been slashed but to offer a player a one year deal when he was originally on a two as a relative unknown quantity is a tad backwards.

To then go public and start talking about signing Cureton and Thorpe is not the greatest of moves either.

If he goes, he goes and it’s likely he’s been offered a piss take contract and you can’t argue about that.  Losing Howard as well was another blunder we couldn’t have done with.  Yes he’s chubby and has been crap for a while but with no Smith there was a chance King may have an idea to play him back on the left and we may have seen some of that for of yester year.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: