Poll
Question: Now 'The Adver understands' these are the three, who would be your choice.
Di Canio - 21 (15.1%)
Hamann - 100 (71.9%)
Burley - 18 (12.9%)
Total Voters: 116

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 9   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Your choice.  (Read 20129 times)
dell returns

« Reply #45 on: Wednesday, May 18, 2011, 15:00:47 »

To be fair on Burley there is not much you can do with Scotland!!

Good post though DV.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday, May 18, 2011, 15:01:08 »

Thought you'd given up on STFC dan
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #47 on: Wednesday, May 18, 2011, 15:05:54 »

Burley for me 1st and then Hamann is a fair way ahead of PDC.

I think Burley could turn us into a good side, he only really failed in managment at Palace, before then he did fairly well with every team he managed.

And on his side with the Palace failure....he was not allowed to bring in his own backroom staff they were forced upon him by the Palace chairman.....mitigating circumstances I feel.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, May 18, 2011, 15:09:02 by jjedmunds » Logged

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday, May 18, 2011, 15:10:08 »

Didi Hamann.

George Burley is a washed up has been manager who is still living off the good work he did with Ipswich 10 years ago, he's done naff all since apart from drink, rub players up the wrong way and get sacked. He's a very old school manager who the game has left behind.

Paolo Di Canio is a passionate man but from what I understand after retiring in 2008 he hasnt had any involvement in the game since, not only would he be new to management but new to a non playing role full stop. Whilst I've stayed well clear of the debates on Di Canio's views they will put people off going but will encourage casual fans to go as they used to watch Di Canio on tv.

Hamann was a top class player, no frills, simple football, pass and move. He's won alot of major competitions and plays on through broken bones. That sort of career will earn the players respect right from the start and shows the sort of character and mentality Hamann would *hopefully* install around the club and into our players. Since retiring he's kept himself in english football both with Franchise and now with Leicester, he's done all his badges. Plus personally I like the though of some german style efficiency at our club. He has always come across in interviews as a very well thought, articulate person to. He'll have alot of links as well. Played for Dagliesh at Newcastle, played for Liverpool under Houllier. So thats potential 'links' with Liverpool and Aston Villa. He also played atManchester City, so will probably still know some of the back room staff there. Now obviously Sven and Leicester which will hopefully help with loan players.

The other thing with Hamann is he will have to succeed here, both for us and for himself. If he fails then goes for other managers job will they give him a chance? one managers job at Swindon and he failed. Where as if a George Burley comes here and does a bad job and gets the sack, the next job he applies for he'll still have 'manager of the year 2001' at the top of his CV and people will still be taken in by the fact he once was a decent manager!

Naturally (!!) I havent seen the CVs of the candidates or been apart of the interview process but to me Hamann is such a no brainer, he's the best candidate on every level and ticks alot of the boxes alot of us wanted ticking.

I said my choice was Ian Culverhouse, he obviously has a Swindon link and has been in coaching a few years longer than Hamann but other than that Hamann ticks all the same boxes Culverhouse does. Decent player, has his badges, stayed in the game after retirement, worked his way up in the back room.

He'd be new, fresh and doesnt have the stigma of failure attached to him.

Excellent post.  I wouldn't have stuck the knife in to the other two to quite the same degree (your serious reservations are milder in my book), but your points in favour of Hamann are spot on.
Barry Scott

« Reply #49 on: Wednesday, May 18, 2011, 15:15:01 »

What Ardiles said.
corner

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday, May 18, 2011, 15:17:22 »

and some, fucking good post dvinho, maybe you should get the job!!!
Swindoner

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday, May 18, 2011, 15:22:14 »

Sorry DV but I have to point out a few things.......

Firstly, Burley done a great job at Derby and turned them from relegation fodder to the play-offs.

He also done a great job at Hearts before falling out with Romanov over team selection, Not to mention that he did quite well at Southampton too and got them into the play-offs.

The only club he has managed where he has failed was at Palace.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday, May 18, 2011, 15:23:43 »

Burley has the track record. They others don't. Guess the 82 votes for Di Canio and Hamman are the 80% bollocks on the forum!

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
corner

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday, May 18, 2011, 15:28:16 »

Firstly, Burley done a great job at Derby and turned them from relegation fodder to the play-offs.

He also done a great job at Hearts before falling out with Romanov over team selection, Not to mention that he did quite well at Southampton too and got them into the play-offs.

So what happend to scotland national?
Peter Venkman

« Reply #54 on: Wednesday, May 18, 2011, 15:32:32 »

So what happend to scotland national?

Look at the players available to him, not exactly like Scotland were in the late 70's early 80's.

Christy

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday, May 18, 2011, 15:33:02 »

Fed up with misleading internet gossip, I thought I'd head for where it's at - the East Midlands - for some genuine investigative work.  Would it shed any light?

Leicester Mercury today quoted their Chief Exec as saying he knew nothing about the Hamann speculation other than what he'd read in the papers. Mmmm.

I also had a drive around the city but there were no signs of impending hysteria:  I saw precisely no "Don't go Didi" messages scrawled on scabby bedsheets hung out of first floor windows.

Possible breakthrough - there were some traffic jams, within just a few miles of the Walkers stadium, so maybe the good folk were off to hold an impromptu farewell do for their favourite German.  It was raining though and there was a big Tesco Extra thing nearby, they could just have been going to do the weekly shop.

Tomorrow, Italy or the pub, depending....
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday, May 18, 2011, 15:33:09 »

Burley has the track record. They others don't. Guess the 82 votes for Di Canio and Hamman are the 80% bollocks on the forum!

Assuming we need a manager with a track record... didn't do Hoddle, Macari, McMahon, and Wise much harm... and Poyet/Howe are very recent 'rookies' who have had success. For a league 2 club, giving a respected ex-player a chance isn't as risky as West Ham doing the same thing in the Championship

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday, May 18, 2011, 15:33:43 »

agree with this.

dv's post is detailed but writing burley off like that is wrong i think.managers having success in every job are few and far between.those that are wont be applying for stfc.
the points about hamman are good though.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #58 on: Wednesday, May 18, 2011, 15:37:29 »

Assuming we need a manager with a track record... didn't do Hoddle, Macari, McMahon, and Wise much harm... and Poyet/Howe are very recent 'rookies' who have had success. For a league 2 club, giving a respected ex-player a chance isn't as risky as West Ham doing the same thing in the Championship

You can't include Wise in that as he managed Millwall to an FA cup final and a place in the UEFA cup, thats a bit of a track record in my book.

DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday, May 18, 2011, 15:39:38 »

Danny Wilson took us from the lower end of League One to the Play Offs? so?

George Burley took two big clubs with huge budgets to the play offs and both teams failed to get promoted. Billy Davies took Derby up the following year.

His record with Scotland was awful even by Scotland standards and his spell at Palace was abysmal.

He also left Hearts and Derby after falling out with the owners, which is never a good thing.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 9   Go Up
Print
Jump to: