Pages: 1 ... 308 309 310 [311] 312 313 314 ... 629   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 1226114 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #4650 on: Monday, June 15, 2020, 17:53:35 »

Pretty standard for a first hearing for a case like that to be in Court within 48 hours.  Had he pleaded not guilty, yes, it would have taken months.
It's being suggested that the guy has both alcohol and mental health issues, whichever way you look at it a custodial seems a bit OTT.

Plus you read anything about sentencing from people at the sharp end and it's fairly commonly accepted that custodial sentences under 6 months are pointless and merely serve to fuck someone's life up without any sort of rehabilitation benefit.
StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #4651 on: Monday, June 15, 2020, 18:00:22 »

That did pass my mind, or that they do not wish to make a big thing of it under the current circumstance as it could be seen as inciting more violence?

Has she been arrested even?

I genuinely haven't heard any more about it.

Given practically everyone condemned the actions (including other protestors at the time who tried to stop her but themselves were stopped by the Police), I doubt that’s the reason.

The Police were able to charge the urinator because he voluntarily handed himself in at his local Police Station, admitted what he’d done and pleaded guilty at the first opportunity. You literally can’t get an easier case to prosecute.

The alleged flag-burner is a 20 year woman who was arrested and interviewed. The fact both you and I presumed the perpetrator was male shows identity is likely to be an issue and so the Police will need more time to get further evidence particularly if the interviewee is denying the charge.

« Last Edit: Monday, June 15, 2020, 18:06:54 by StfcRusty » Logged
StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #4652 on: Monday, June 15, 2020, 18:05:27 »

It's being suggested that the guy has both alcohol and mental health issues, whichever way you look at it a custodial seems a bit OTT.

Plus you read anything about sentencing from people at the sharp end and it's fairly commonly accepted that custodial sentences under 6 months are pointless and merely serve to fuck someone's life up without any sort of rehabilitation benefit.

Community rehabilitation order cleaning up piss stains would have been appropriate. Having sat in Court listening to mitigation for many years, there’s not many defence solicitors who don’t say their client has some form of issue to justify their behaviour. Who knows whether it’s true or not because you’d don’t have to provide evidence to substantiate when you plead guilty.

For context, lengthy custodial sentences were given out to looters in the 2011 London riots. A woman who stole a single bottle of water from Poundland got several months imprisonment. Courts will always give harsh sentences in these situations as they want it to be a deterrent. (Not saying I agree or not, it’s just what happens)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #4653 on: Monday, June 15, 2020, 18:07:14 »

Whilst everyone is going on about the common people at Primark, barely a whisper about Bicester village.
Class and snobbery aside, there's another very noticeable difference - there were long queues outside Primark *because* people were socially distancing, whereas this lot have just piled in. But it's OK because they're piling in to a slightly posher set of shops.
Valid Pint

« Reply #4654 on: Tuesday, June 16, 2020, 05:24:16 »

Posher than Great Western Designer Outlet Village? Where everything seemed well ordered & calm at yesterday's opening.
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #4655 on: Tuesday, June 16, 2020, 05:46:49 »

Despite 3 months of lockdown or however long it's been, we've don't seem to have come out of this nicer or more considerate people.  Regardless of class there still seem to be a host of people who don't give a fuck about anyone else space.  It seems that there are dicks and non dicks everywhere.

I Realised this 2 weeks ago when I was in Chippenham (on my government sanctioned walk), leaving people space, standing back as three dicks wandered across the road eyes fixed on their mobiles for the latest vital updates on snapchat or tik tok.  Having to move from the place I stopped to leave them space as they paid no fucking attention.

I would usually just walk into the ignorant fucks, but thought better of it.

Never knowingly overstated.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #4656 on: Tuesday, June 16, 2020, 06:39:11 »

Primark is what is it. Handy for stuff like kettels and irons and what-not. I've shopped there a few times myself in the past.

Apparently, Swindon is the only place where it's pronounced 'pree-mark'. Everybody else calls if 'pri-mark'.

That's fascinating, genuinely.  I noticed when I lived in Swindon years ago that it was also the only place on the planet where girls called Michelle were 'Mee-chelle'.  Big emphasis on the 1st syllable, not the 2nd like everywhere else.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #4657 on: Tuesday, June 16, 2020, 07:19:55 »

Similar to the Calne debate. Visitors and people that move there call it "carlne" but us locals know it's pronounced Keln.
Valid Pint

« Reply #4658 on: Tuesday, June 16, 2020, 07:51:48 »

Having moved to Swindon to be closer to the football club I love, the one idiom that struck me as being prevalent in the town is to start a sentence with:
 "To be fair..." .
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #4659 on: Tuesday, June 16, 2020, 09:01:51 »

Good to see the UK is restarting it's export trade with the Commonwealth. No wonder countries are ambivalent/nervous about accepting UK tourists this summer without quarantine.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-53059633
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #4660 on: Tuesday, June 16, 2020, 09:16:13 »

Good to see the UK is restarting it's export trade with the Commonwealth. No wonder countries are ambivalent/nervous about accepting UK tourists this summer without quarantine.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-53059633

Its the world beating that Johnson has been wittering on about.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #4661 on: Tuesday, June 16, 2020, 09:19:24 »

Its the world beating that Johnson has been wittering on about.
We already have a world-beating death toll and are about to enjoy the fruits of a world-beating recession, so it would seem selfish not to share this with the rest of the world.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #4662 on: Tuesday, June 16, 2020, 09:54:58 »

suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #4663 on: Tuesday, June 16, 2020, 10:02:33 »

We already have a world-beating death toll and are about to enjoy the fruits of a world-beating recession, so it would seem selfish not to share this with the rest of the world.

You missed the world beating app
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #4664 on: Tuesday, June 16, 2020, 10:05:57 »

You missed the world beating app
tbf so has everyone else.
Pages: 1 ... 308 309 310 [311] 312 313 314 ... 629   Go Up
Print
Jump to: