Pages: 1 ... 204 205 206 [207] 208 209 210 ... 629   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 1226100 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #3090 on: Tuesday, May 5, 2020, 09:31:16 »

US say they’ll be hitting 3000 per day soon.

I thought their numbers had been coming down?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #3091 on: Tuesday, May 5, 2020, 09:39:26 »

Indeed but then it's consistent with how they've handled the rest of it. The way the app has been handled is a disgrace, but Test, Trace, Isolate is our only safe way out of this, so if it's a choice between thousands more dying and surrendering some of my data to Cambridge Analytica 2.0, then it's the lesser of two evils for me.

Thing is, from previous government led IT initiatives it probably won't work properly and we will end up using the more respected and tested versions anyway once their mates have had a good feed in the trough!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #3092 on: Tuesday, May 5, 2020, 09:51:31 »

Indeed but then it's consistent with how they've handled the rest of it. The way the app has been handled is a disgrace, but Test, Trace, Isolate is our only safe way out of this, so if it's a choice between thousands more dying and surrendering some of my data to Cambridge Analytica 2.0, then it's the lesser of two evils for me.

In all honesty they can just get all my data from google/a.n. other if they want to and I'd never know.  I do want to know who developed the app though....

Interestingly I read they'll be releasing the source code as opensource. Git pull at the ready Smiley
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #3093 on: Tuesday, May 5, 2020, 10:27:15 »

In all honesty they can just get all my data from google/a.n. other if they want to and I'd never know.  I do want to know who developed the app though....
A company called Faculty (formerly AIS), run by Ben Warner who is Cummings' mate from their Vote Leave campaign days where he did all their data analysis stuff in the referendum campaign. Faculty have been quietly picking up a lot of lucrative govt contracts since the crisis began, none of them put out to tender. Snouts in troughs, Rees-Mogg style

Interestingly I read they'll be releasing the source code as opensource. Git pull at the ready Smiley
Where did you read that? Last I heard (yesterday) Faculty were refusing to opensource it and Hancock was resisting calls to do so.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #3094 on: Tuesday, May 5, 2020, 10:29:13 »

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-leaked-us-documents-predict-3-000-covid-19-deaths-a-day-by-june-11983203
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #3095 on: Tuesday, May 5, 2020, 10:29:57 »

This contact tracing app stuff is a bit concerning. Obviously the principle of it is excellent, but they seem to have taken all good security practices and binned them for an app developed by a friend of a friend. Not sure this is really how a serious health emergency should be handled.

I've two concerns with it. One as you say is security, some minion saying its "high" doesn't cut it with me. Second is who is adding infected people? That is a complete can of worms, even if it is centrally done, it Wont be long before some clown(s) hack it and pretend just to panic people.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #3096 on: Tuesday, May 5, 2020, 10:42:49 »

I just don't understand some people.

Edit: see BO got there first
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #3097 on: Tuesday, May 5, 2020, 10:53:21 »

I've two concerns with it. One as you say is security, some minion saying its "high" doesn't cut it with me. Second is who is adding infected people? That is a complete can of worms, even if it is centrally done, it Wont be long before some clown(s) hack it and pretend just to panic people.
There's also the slight problem that it probably won't work:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/05/05/uk_coronavirus_app/

TLDR: "It will work if people open the app and leave it open and the phone unlocked. But if you close it and forget to reopen it, or the phone falls asleep, the app will not broadcast its ID and no other phones around you will register that you've been close by".

That's the default behaviour on most modern iPhones and Android phones btw.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #3098 on: Tuesday, May 5, 2020, 11:15:35 »

That is quite an oversight.
StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #3099 on: Tuesday, May 5, 2020, 11:24:18 »

The 3000 a day figure is from a leak of an internal document ie they are privately predicting that easing lockdown will bring about a significant increase in infections.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #3100 on: Tuesday, May 5, 2020, 11:31:17 »

@pauld

I read the open source commitment in a few places. but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't release.

https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/report/nhs-covid-19-app-privacy-security-report
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #3101 on: Tuesday, May 5, 2020, 11:45:48 »

@pauld

I read the open source commitment in a few places. but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't release.

https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/report/nhs-covid-19-app-privacy-security-report
Cheers! Agree, wouldn't be surprised if they back track. If El Reg is right about the design flaws, seems a bit pointless anyway. Hopefully they'll listen to the genuine experts and re-think it. Oh wait ....
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #3102 on: Tuesday, May 5, 2020, 11:47:19 »

I hope our Somerset based members are all vigorously knocking one out as advised by the Council.

https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/news/somerset-news/councils-bizarre-tweet-safe-sex-4105356?fbclid=IwAR3cAiMgkFDUsDK-8vpyfH_etaH43uqRQFBVdZGXFHk0zHNohH3gBb06Hks
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #3103 on: Tuesday, May 5, 2020, 11:48:39 »

The 3000 a day figure is from a leak of an internal document ie they are privately predicting that easing lockdown will bring about a significant increase in infections.

Ah ok thanks. Interesting!!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #3104 on: Tuesday, May 5, 2020, 11:52:25 »

Cheers! Agree, wouldn't be surprised if they back track. If El Reg is right about the design flaws, seems a bit pointless anyway. Hopefully they'll listen to the genuine experts and re-think it. Oh wait ....
[/quote

They don't pay market rates in IT in central govt, so they lag behind. I turned down the FCO last year as their offer was way under what I got with Local Govt. It was barely London liveable rate.
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 206 [207] 208 209 210 ... 629   Go Up
Print
Jump to: