Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 [33] 34 35   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Tottenham  (Read 42402 times)
ReadingRed

Pragmatist clapper

Ignore
« Reply #480 on: Wednesday, August 10, 2011, 21:03:37 »

Some equally good looting photoshoppery here:

http://photoshoplooter.tumblr.com/
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #481 on: Wednesday, August 10, 2011, 21:36:45 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14472472

this must be the guy previuos posters referred to - a real proper bloke.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #482 on: Wednesday, August 10, 2011, 21:51:18 »

As far as I can tell from the news, the only major incident tonight seems to be some pissed up EDL nutheads in Eltham.

Great to see that idiocy is an equal opportunities employer.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #483 on: Thursday, August 11, 2011, 20:57:59 »

The courts appear to be throwing the book at everyone arrested during the riots / looting. Seems that the magistrate courts have been treating everyone the same, referring the case to the county courts and remanding them in custody. One bloke who knowingly bought some stolen clothes from a sports shop is looking at a prison sentence.

Seems a bit harsh at first but makes sense when you consider the seriousness of what happened as a whole and the role that every single person involved in it played.
Spencer_White

« Reply #484 on: Thursday, August 11, 2011, 21:06:10 »

As far as I can tell from the news, the only major incident tonight seems to be some pissed up EDL nutheads in Eltham.

Great to see that idiocy is an equal opportunities employer.

No even comparable.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #485 on: Thursday, August 11, 2011, 22:31:35 »

They were discussing charges on radio2 at lunchtime with a criminal solicitor, and if a looter who sets fire to a shop which also as a flat above it occupied they would get 7 and a half years. Even though they have endangered many lives, they said they would be out in two.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #486 on: Sunday, August 14, 2011, 10:07:48 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14520074

I can't believe I'm actually agreeing with a man of the cloth. This pretty much sumes up my view. thank you Margaret Thatcher for creating this culture.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #487 on: Sunday, August 14, 2011, 10:25:09 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14520074

I can't believe I'm actually agreeing with a man of the cloth. This pretty much sumes up my view. thank you Margaret Thatcher for creating this culture.

Don't see it myself. For me the main problem is an under class that don't give a fuck about law, order and respect for others as they're allowed to do whatever they want with little fear of being punished. We're far too soft on criminals and are far too worried about their rights than those they offend against.

I blame Blair myself.

Ignore
« Reply #488 on: Sunday, August 14, 2011, 10:56:32 »

Blair and Labour were too soft on crime and the underclass,but they didn't create them. The Tory government of the 80's did imo.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #489 on: Sunday, August 14, 2011, 11:13:06 »

Nope,it is down to the breakdown of family/school and general discipline when young in my opinion.
All british boys/men should do a years service in the forces when they are young to help with discipline.
You cannot blame governments and the such for this...it is down to lack of respect and no discipline.
oxford_fan

Ignore
« Reply #490 on: Sunday, August 14, 2011, 11:24:12 »

Don't see it myself. For me the main problem is an under class that don't give a fuck about law, order and respect for others as they're allowed to do whatever they want with little fear of being punished.
That's pretty much what the Bishop is saying though.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #491 on: Sunday, August 14, 2011, 11:32:16 »

Blair and Labour were too soft on crime and the underclass,but they didn't create them. The Tory government of the 80's did imo.

Britain's prison population rose to an all time high during the Labour years....we incarcerate more people than any other western European country.....even Ken Clarke acknowledges it doesn't work, and is therefore trying to encourage use of other methods

Ignore
« Reply #492 on: Sunday, August 14, 2011, 11:44:22 »

Britain's prison population rose to an all time high during the Labour years....we incarcerate more people than any other western European country.....even Ken Clarke acknowledges it doesn't work, and is therefore trying to encourage use of other methods

It doesn't work as sentences are too short. This coupled with anyone being able to breed is the problem imo. Scum breed scum. This problem will get worse as time goes by unless radical changes are introduced.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #493 on: Sunday, August 14, 2011, 12:19:57 »

That's pretty much what the Bishop is saying though.

It was the blame being put on Thatcher I was disagreeing with.

Nope,it is down to the breakdown of family/school and general discipline when young in my opinion.
All british boys/men should do a years service in the forces when they are young to help with discipline.
You cannot blame governments and the such for this...it is down to lack of respect and no discipline.

I'd totally blame the government for this. Parents and teachers aren't allowed to discipline children any more, if they do they'll end up being arrested or sacked or sued. Don't see how you can blame them (parents and teachers) when their hands are pretty much tied - if the kid says fuck you then what are they supposed to do?

I don't see military service being the answer as the damage is often done well before that. My solution would be military style boot camps which kids get sent to if their parents and teachers can't control them, or if they break the law. Take them away from their mates, mobile phones, video games, internet, booze and so on and they'd get the message pretty quick.

A massive rethink is needed on the whole criminal system as well. As soon as someone gets an adult criminal record they're fucked and the chances of them getting out of the criminal life style are drastically reduced. Far too many end up in prison when there are better options such as curfews, tagging and various other restrictions that can be placed on them.

Take those arrested during the riots for the more minor offences (like grabbing something from a shop that had already been broken in to). Give them a a choice - a criminal record and some time in prison, or 1000 hours community service over the next 5 years. Plenty of options available.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #494 on: Sunday, August 14, 2011, 12:29:18 »

I don't see military service being the answer as the damage is often done well before that. My solution would be military style boot camps which kids get sent to if their parents and teachers can't control them, or if they break the law. Take them away from their mates, mobile phones, video games, internet, booze and so on and they'd get the message pretty quick.

Would this boot camp have big walls to stop them getting out? And bars on the room doors for the same reasons? And guards to make sure they stay in line and don't escape? And make them do hard labour in the day by chaining them together and giving them a pick axe to break up big blocks of brick.

I think unless there is a prison-like infrastructure then they just wouldn't stay there. Juvenile prisons are fine by me.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 [33] 34 35   Go Up
Print
Jump to: