Pages: 1 ... 2671 2672 2673 [2674] 2675 2676 2677 ... 3981   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: STFC Transfer Rumours  (Read 9087448 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #40095 on: Saturday, December 12, 2020, 14:28:02 »

Wow! What a situation to deal with.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #40096 on: Saturday, December 12, 2020, 14:41:04 »

Can't knock his decision reading that, especially with the current situation around Covid-19.  He'd struggle to be around a team of players with the risk of contracting the virus and then know he wouldn't be able to be around his niece.  He may get a team nearby, but he may just decide to shield himself.
REDBUCK

« Reply #40097 on: Saturday, December 12, 2020, 14:44:19 »

To be honest, it's a shame he has to make a statement at all. Its no one's business but family and the club really.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #40098 on: Saturday, December 12, 2020, 14:47:39 »

To be honest, it's a shame he has to make a statement at all. Its no one's business but family and the club really.

Indeed - we seem to think footballers don't have real lives to lead.  It's one of the reasons I think this year is such a lottery in sport - who knows what is going on at home and in their minds.  It's not like they get to work from home.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #40099 on: Saturday, December 12, 2020, 16:39:39 »

OK, but you'd still think he might ask for a couple of months' leave without pay rather than just walking away, particularly for a player who wasn't showered with options before Wellens rescued him. Could yet be more to this.

This. Except the Wellens bit you mention - that dude is full of shit.

I'm pretty sure in the circumstances the club would have granted him special leave. One of my old jobs, the company granted discretionary special leave whilst fully paid. All I remember my manager telling me when I had asked for "special leave" after a family member had passed away was 'don't worry about anything, take as much time as you need.' Which was incredibly warming and empathetic - something you would expect from most understanding people that retain a human touch.

The only thing I can think is that Town are that fucked, that we can no longer even cover the contract of one supposedly already budgeted for?!

Still very sad for all personally connected. Let's hope they get to spend a Christmas doing everything the little girl wants.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #40100 on: Saturday, December 12, 2020, 17:58:34 »

Wow! What a situation to deal with.

Quite awful. You can get back a football career with luck, you can't get back time.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #40101 on: Saturday, December 12, 2020, 18:13:06 »

I'm pretty sure in the circumstances the club would have granted him special leave. One of my old jobs, the company granted discretionary special leave whilst fully paid. All I remember my manager telling me when I had asked for "special leave" after a family member had passed away was 'don't worry about anything, take as much time as you need.' Which was incredibly warming and empathetic - something you would expect from most understanding people that retain a human touch.

The only thing I can think is that Town are that fucked, that we can no longer even cover the contract of one supposedly already budgeted for?!

Management 101 tells us that 'staff are our most important asset' and giving staff time to sort out their personal problems has massive benefits long term.

I'm sure that this type of thing happens in the football world more than any of us would think, but the reason that you don't hear about it is because it it all managed quietly.

Going back to 'management 101', discretion is the key when dealing with staff problems. Putting Donahue on the injury list would have been the norm - Surely?

If we are in so much trouble that we can't afford to pay a member of staff to take sick leave, then we are definitely in a lot of trouble!

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #40102 on: Saturday, December 12, 2020, 18:30:18 »

If we are in so much trouble that we can't afford to pay a member of staff to take sick leave, then we are definitely in a lot of trouble!

Absolutely agree (I've shortened for, in the words of Reg 'good housekeeping'). We must remember that Power and credit to him, has done this before with people stepping away for personal reasons; Martin Ling, of course.

It does appear to point to deeper troubles and we maybe can correlate this with the Doughty decision. Maybe Doughty going (a considerably high earner relative to this squad) wasn't just personal reasons but him going helped keep the club propped up at a time of increased uncertainty?

My "Ship of Deserters" meme was mostly just a tongue in cheek parody but it might be closer to the truth than I intended it to be  Hmmm

'Incessant Nonsense'

REDBUCK

« Reply #40103 on: Saturday, December 12, 2020, 18:35:55 »

Got to give you credit you can't half create worm holes from the thinest of evidence if any at all.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #40104 on: Saturday, December 12, 2020, 19:07:10 »

OK, but you'd still think he might ask for a couple of months' leave without pay rather than just walking away, particularly for a player who wasn't showered with options before Wellens rescued him. Could yet be more to this.
Who’s to know how long he’ll need. There’s 5-6 months left of this season. I’d imagine this dreadful situation will take up most of that.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #40105 on: Saturday, December 12, 2020, 19:14:44 »

Got to give you credit you can't half create worm holes from the thinest of evidence if any at all.

Got to give you credit for interpreting something spoken much beyond than the mere suggestion. Things aren't rosy at the club (and I'm a rose-tinter), it's fairly clear on and off the pitch.

However, it's proof you didn't read properly. I did use the words "maybe" and "might". These are suggestive words and not defined certain words/terms. I also used a "?" to infer that I was not stating/quoting direct fact and opening up discussion regarding the suggestion. I thought you were more than intelligent enough to understand that?!  Hmmm

Funny how when I've been right, no one says anything. When wrong though...another fucking story. As if I just shat on your lawn.

Since we're now being picky, it's wormholes (one word) and thinnest ('n' is used twice).

Maybe (look maybe) with PV not being here to do Matchday Thread comms you just need someone else to poke a stick at?! (?! - Interrabang (of sorts) Infers a more rhetorical question with added disbelief. Does not require an answer per se). Cunt  Soapy Tit Wank

'Incessant Nonsense'

theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #40106 on: Saturday, December 12, 2020, 19:26:32 »

He was on a one year deal, sounds unlikely he’d be in mindset to play again this season and has decided he doesn’t just want to  steal a wage. How you can use this as ammo to slag the club off is beyond me!
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #40107 on: Saturday, December 12, 2020, 19:35:37 »

Who’s to know how long he’ll need. There’s 5-6 months left of this season. I’d imagine this dreadful situation will take up most of that.

Surely you sell in Jan (especially when aware of interest from clubs geographically closer to the player) or come to a reviewed agreement (possible contract cancellation by mutual consent) if there is no proposed end point to the time off needed. It is what happens in most workplaces. Difficult adult conversations but conversations that must happen nonetheless.

Having said that, my old role allowed upto 6 months off on full pay (if needed) then a further 6 months on half pay for more longer term leave. I appreciate not every industry/company can offer that (or won't). Football I'd say is one that probably can. Might be a slightly different bucket of onions but when a player is injured long term, the player is still paid in full.

Anyhow, the point mainly being that surely his contract (1yr/season) had been budgeted for? I'll be concerned if it wasn't. Town only offered the deal in September (so we can't really blame covid/lack of income).

'Incessant Nonsense'

BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #40108 on: Saturday, December 12, 2020, 19:45:04 »

He was on a one year deal, sounds unlikely he’d be in mindset to play again this season and has decided he doesn’t just want to  steal a wage. How you can use this as ammo to slag the club off is beyond me!

Oh come off it, I'm not slagging the club off. That is s bit of an overreaction Theakston, I'm merely asking the question that the club can surely cover the wage of a fairly low earner, for a wage that would (surely should) have been budgeted for. If not, that is a concern and should rightly be highlighted.

Doesn't matter if the player doesn't want to in your words "steal a wage". He (was) contracted to Town. Continuing to pay him during this difficult time is the minimum the club could do. It isn't slagging the club off, it's just good practice. Why you feel i'm slagging the club off - I don't know?!

'Incessant Nonsense'

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #40109 on: Sunday, December 13, 2020, 08:15:54 »

How about he's told the club the situation and the possibility of a club closer to home that will sign him. STFC have then decided to release him early, asked for no recompense to facilitate the move. That would be the compassionate thing to do instead of holding out for a few quid in January.

Power may be many things - but he’s shown he’s a compassionate owner when it comes to personal issues.
Pages: 1 ... 2671 2672 2673 [2674] 2675 2676 2677 ... 3981   Go Up
Print
Jump to: