Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town vs Luton Town Official Matchday Thread  (Read 43505 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #195 on: Tuesday, December 26, 2017, 21:28:36 »

On paper at least once we've got Notts out of the way, the home fixtures look a little kinder, not that means much
Some of our most abject performances at home have been against sides that on paper looked "kinder".
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: Tuesday, December 26, 2017, 21:40:10 »

‘On paper at least once we've got Notts out of the way, the home fixtures look a little kinder, not that means much’

Which is like saying ‘don’t worry about Corbyn being PM, things will work out eventually’  Doh
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #197 on: Tuesday, December 26, 2017, 21:46:06 »

I'm not sure I trust him to make signings in January - the vast majority of players brought in thus far (bar a few of the loan players) have been awful

I come from a land down-under
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #198 on: Tuesday, December 26, 2017, 21:46:46 »

Some of our most abject performances at home have been against sides that on paper looked "kinder".

Yes I know, but 5 of our home defeats have been to sides above us in the table, and it's around now that the sort out starts to happen, so it's not impossible that we might find a few wins before seasons end.  We'll probably need 4 or 5 to guarantee Div 4 next season
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #199 on: Tuesday, December 26, 2017, 22:04:25 »

I'm not sure I trust him to make signings in January - the vast majority of players brought in thus far (bar a few of the loan players) have been awful

The majority of Flitters signings have at least been OK, sort of uninspired Div 4 types, which because we're in Div 4 is to be expected.

6 years ago on Boxing Day under PdC, we got beat at Torquay, then we had 37 points rather than the 35 we now have, but that was sufficient for 7th spot.

PdC had made a load of terrible signings, fellas who were of no use at all in Div 4, but luckily for him he inherited some talent from the previous regime... Ferry, Ritchie, Caddis, Flint. Flitters hasn't had that luxury... the evidence suggests, he'll be able to get in some steady types who may be at least able to contribute something.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, December 26, 2017, 22:12:23 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Not that Nice If I'm Honest

Ignore
« Reply #200 on: Tuesday, December 26, 2017, 22:59:02 »

We have dropped in to this division 3 times during the last 30 years. On the first two occasions, we returned to Division 3 immediately - under Sturrock in 2006/07 and then under Di Canio in 2011/12.  That is our track record.  There is nothing to suggest that a well managed Swindon side should not aspire to the same this time.  You do spout some bollocks sometimes, Reg.

I'm amazed that we're still in contention after such an average start to the season - but have a feeling that DF will stay in post for as long as that remains the case.

err.........Lou Macari ?
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #201 on: Wednesday, December 27, 2017, 02:30:54 »

I'll be honest. I don't hate Power.

On paper his "total football" method, (or whatever you want to call it) made sense. Bring in some matey loans, try and play a way that attracts them and supplement the team with affordable league 1 players. It was a nice idea. It didn't work, and he was too late acknowledging it admittedly, but I fail to see how it was nefarious.

He got too involved and we wanted him to bring in a manager and let him manage. Now he has stepped back and left it all to the manager. Other than giving him more money (which he's hardly got a lot of in football terms) what else is he supposed to do?

All that said, I'm pissed off. I travel over 100 miles to watch every home game, and I do that regardless of how bad we are. The atmosphere at games is the worst I've ever experienced, and I sometimes think the game itself wouldn't be half as painful on reflection if there wasn't so much gloom around the place.

Something has to change. I just don't know what it is, because unless we get a Lansdown type I just fear we're going to get worse than Power.

Or to quote thisis

ellory, so you want DF to stay as our manager
Ha !!!
You really are THICK !!
Thats not me being sad.... thats you being an imbecile... a proper inbred that should not be allowed in the same stadium as normal people like me and most Town fans. F*ck off and wake up.

🤔

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #202 on: Wednesday, December 27, 2017, 04:26:54 »

‘Something has got to change’ has been a mantra for the club for 3 season’s now. After the first 6 months of the play off season it has been a steady decline under Power’s stewardship.

I think we all acknowledge Flitcroft wasn’t his first, or second, choice of manager but as a supposed football man he must have known what he was getting.

Staying in touch with the play offs isn’t reason enough to keep him. He’s no better at moulding a functioning defence then Luke was. It’s the disparity between recruiting youthful, pacy front players with defensive donkeys and no midfield whatsoever that does my head in.

But I suppose that was to be expected with his view that what happens between the 2 18 yard boxes isn’t important. Apathy seems to have enveloped the entire club and fan base, with people, like me, just shrugging their shoulders and deciding not to turn up any more.

This used to be a great little club to follow.
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #203 on: Wednesday, December 27, 2017, 04:39:12 »

I agree with every word you've said there, and I'm a "happy clapper." I just don't see this beautiful day where Power leaves and everything becomes great again - which I suppose is part of the reason there's a general malaise around the place.

P.S go to sleep Audrey it's nearly 5am Wink

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #204 on: Wednesday, December 27, 2017, 05:53:00 »

I drove from Paris, leaving at 5 in the morning, to watch that pile of shit yesterday. Fuck me, I'm pissed off. I was looking forward to watching the next couple of games while I'm over. Seriously considering not bothering......first time in nearly 40 years of watching Town that I feel like not making the effort any more.
since 75

Ignore
« Reply #205 on: Wednesday, December 27, 2017, 06:00:59 »

First game of the season for me yesterday & at half time I thought we were not as bad as I was expecting. The next 45 minutes were horrible to watch. There just seemed an air of resignation from the players as soon as the first went in that we were going to lose the game. They strolled back for the re-start,no one talking to each other, the senior players should be trying to pick up the younger ones. No leadership whatsoever on the pitch which is worrying. Really in need of a Alan McCormack type who forces the best out of players. Don't really get the hate for Power, he says we've got one of the biggest budgets in the league and it is said he's stopped interfering with the playing style that we had to endure under Williams. Oh, and Alan Sheehan is a prick.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #206 on: Wednesday, December 27, 2017, 07:21:49 »

Power says a lot of things
Mrs Brown

Ignore
« Reply #207 on: Wednesday, December 27, 2017, 09:33:26 »

1. Power will not go; that would require someone else to buy the club and I don't see many people queueing up to do that. 
2. If he had bought Swindon Town with the idea of running the club into oblivion so that he could redevelop the land (a) he could have done it a lot quicker than he has (b) it's a pretty expensive way of doing it (c) the ground/land is owned by the council and (I believe) has a covenant on it so that it's used for sporting/community purposes (d) he wouldn't have bought the golf club at Highworth.
3. I don't think Flitcroft will be going any time soon either.  As others have pointed out, although we're in a lower league and despite our dire home form, we are far better placed points-wise than this time last season.
4. We could do with offloading several players but, again, who would buy them?  We desperately need more than the 'two or three' quoted by Power.
5. What has Flitcroft got against the players he inherited from the previous regime?  His own purchases haven't exactly set the world on fire, have they?  Give 'em a go; they can't be any worse than those who have been playing.
6. Does anyone else think that Vigs being in the team has anything to do with our appalling performances of late?  We all suspect behind-the-scenes stroppiness from him so does his inclusion upset the team balance/spirit?
sir windon

Ignore
« Reply #208 on: Wednesday, December 27, 2017, 09:46:24 »

Vigs is indeed a joke. Acts all Billy Big Bollocks and reckons he's too good for this division when in reality he is a terrible keeper with no presence. When does he actually ever make a save? Will never forgive his cockiness in paying that fine in small change back in his first season. It's ironic now though since his record for conceding goals must be seeing his stock slump to a sum of pennies. Shit goalkeeper.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #209 on: Wednesday, December 27, 2017, 10:16:06 »

Vigs is indeed a joke. Acts all Billy Big Bollocks and reckons he's too good for this division when in reality he is a terrible keeper with no presence. When does he actually ever make a save? Will never forgive his cockiness in paying that fine in small change back in his first season. It's ironic now though since his record for conceding goals must be seeing his stock slump to a sum of pennies. Shit goalkeeper.
You mean our player of the season and only one to come through last season with any credit. As for cockiness and the paying a fine with coins who gives a shit, most footballers are cocks it comes with the territory.
The keeper isn’t the problem it’s a god awful midfield that are unable to retain any kind of possession or create anything so we can’t dominate even the most terrible teams. Also leadership on the pitch or lack of it is clear, Lancashire has been an ever present in an awful defence which suggests a) he’s not very good and b) he’s an awful captain.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18   Go Up
Print
Jump to: