Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 18   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town vs Luton Town Official Matchday Thread  (Read 43507 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: Tuesday, December 26, 2017, 18:41:06 »

We have dropped in to this division 3 times during the last 30 years. On the first two occasions, we returned to Division 3 immediately - under Sturrock in 2006/07 and then under Di Canio in 2011/12.  That is our track record.  There is nothing to suggest that a well managed Swindon side should not aspire to the same this time.  You do spout some bollocks sometimes, Reg.

I'm amazed that we're still in contention after such an average start to the season - but have a feeling that DF will stay in post for as long as that remains the case.

I'll always happily back up my thoughts with an argument. Our 3 promotions from Div 4 were all on the back of decent money spent.  In the Macari season, creative accounting. In the Wise/Poyet/Sturrock season racking up almost unsustainable debt. In the PdC season... Black's largesse.

This season more closely resembles the early 80's 3 seasons. Then like now we went down on the back of playing kids, under effectively an internal appointment former youth coach...then John Trollope, last season Luke.  Then the Directors had no money, and as gates fell, so did the quality of recruitment, as financial sustainablity was paramount.

Lou Macari's first season at this stage would look a bit similar to this,  only not so many points, if home form and away were reversed. However happily for Lou it was decent home form but terrible away form, which enabled him to get reinstated when sacked  after shipping 6 at Southend.

Lou however had the advantage 2nd season of recruiting players we couldn't afford, which came about as the Articles of Association were changed, a decision which has led us to where we are today with a broken club, distant from the fan base.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: Tuesday, December 26, 2017, 18:42:10 »

There’s a whole world of difference between getting beaten and surrendering whilst not being able to play even slightly effective hoofball

This!

I was expecting defeat but not like that....worrying when the first went in....players looked beaten...nobody talking...nothing.

White flag went up...towel went in.

Dreadful bollocks.

Clems Army!
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: Tuesday, December 26, 2017, 18:56:14 »

Haven't read back....when did we last lose 5 zip at home? Wigan, Wolves?....Norwich under McMoan?

Clems Army!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: Tuesday, December 26, 2017, 19:02:17 »

Haven't read back....when did we last lose 5 zip at home? Wigan, Wolves?....Norwich under McMoan?

I'd guess a 0-5 scoreline hasn't been achieved since the Prem season v Leeds.

Of course we did lose 0-6 v Ipswich.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: Tuesday, December 26, 2017, 19:09:02 »

I'd wager it's a hell of a long time since we conceded 5 without reply in a single half. If ever. Complete embarrassment, the lack of effort to even to pretend they were trying to get the ball back when Luton were passing it round to oles from all sides of the ground should have been shaming for any professional
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: Tuesday, December 26, 2017, 19:10:45 »

Where the fuck can Flitcroft go from here?
Don't care as long as it's nowhere in the vicinity of the County Ground.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: Tuesday, December 26, 2017, 19:19:56 »

Quote from: Legends-Lounge
the margins for a successful season are balancing on a knife edge.

it is, and I'm sceptical away form can continue like it has. it would be unprecedented.

so similarly I should be saying home form has every chance of picking up.. but I just can't see it.. something magical is going to have to happen in the window.
joteddyred

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: Tuesday, December 26, 2017, 19:24:31 »

I'd wager it's a hell of a long time since we conceded 5 without reply in a single half. If ever. Complete embarrassment, the lack of effort to even to pretend they were trying to get the ball back when Luton were passing it round to oles from all sides of the ground should have been shaming for any professional
Was going to make this point, the goals were actually only within 45 minutes which makes it even worse.

DV and Quaqmire have summed it up for me.  Sadly I'm one of the supporters who is starting to give up the fight.  The club is an absolute shambles and it doesn't look like that's going to change anytime soon.

If we start to struggle a bit away from home, things could start to look a whole lot worse.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: Tuesday, December 26, 2017, 19:34:11 »

DV and Quaqmire have summed it up for me.  Sadly I'm one of the supporters who is starting to give up the fight.  

What would it take for you to get back the fight? 

In Div 4 there are plenty of clubs who've had to go down to the Conference to get their mojo back... including Luton, and our old friends from Rovers and Oxford.   Personally I'll happily enjoy the fight of trying to retain league status, which under Power's ownership is far from a given.
Panda Paws

« Reply #174 on: Tuesday, December 26, 2017, 19:37:46 »

Not read back. 100% time to go. Embarrassment to be done 5 at home when we’re meant to be some sort of capable outfit.

We’re not going down and we’re not going up under DF. Keeping him achieves nothing. Don’t blame Power at all for this season.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: Tuesday, December 26, 2017, 19:39:47 »

The Adver gave Dunne 5/10 (joint top) 
Sir red ken

« Reply #176 on: Tuesday, December 26, 2017, 19:41:43 »

Was going to make this point, the goals were actually only within 45 minutes which makes it even worse.

DV and Quaqmire have summed it up for me.  Sadly I'm one of the supporters who is starting to give up the fight.  The club is an absolute shambles and it doesn't look like that's going to change anytime soon.

If we start to struggle a bit away from home, things could start to look a whole lot worse.

You can chart our decline year on year since LP took over, we're fast turning into a non league side which I feel sadly was the plan all along. All that talk of making money from developing players, well who's going to pay for any of the present side? We should also remember the low sell on received for our best players. I watched Aden Flint play against Man Utd and though what a poor deal we negotiated.At the start of this season my thoughts were of back to back relegations, we may not get there this season but we will with the way the club is being run, which is into the ground.To avoid the drop we need a root and branch restructure, which includes LP out, before he appoints another cheap option, no one else would want manager, who'll put up with a team of discount bin players.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: Tuesday, December 26, 2017, 19:47:43 »

It certainly feels as if we are in terminal decline. But I fail to see what benefit it is to Power to get us relegated.

Does he thinks he can buy the ground, essentially finish off the club and then redevelop the CG without a club dragging him down?
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: Tuesday, December 26, 2017, 19:53:17 »

It certainly feels as if we are in terminal decline. But I fail to see what benefit it is to Power to get us relegated.

Does he thinks he can buy the ground, essentially finish off the club and then redevelop the CG without a club dragging him down?
You fucker! That’s just what I was thinking and going to post.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: Tuesday, December 26, 2017, 19:55:32 »

I don't buy the conspiracy theory that Power wants non league football, rather that he's happy to run the club on a shoestring, and one of the accidental consequences of that may be relegation.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 18   Go Up
Print
Jump to: