Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 11   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: England team v Russia  (Read 28611 times)
Don Rogers Sock

« Reply #45 on: Thursday, June 9, 2016, 08:49:33 »

So has Rooney now decided he wants to play on the left, that will be handy as its a problem position - and the cynic may suggest he sees it as the best opportunity to get a starting place~?
Nah i reckon being our captain and all time top goalscorer gives him that right  Wink
Flashheart

« Reply #46 on: Thursday, June 9, 2016, 08:59:10 »

According to The Daily Mail, our players are bringing the game and the country into disrepute by going topless in a pool, exposing their tattoos.

What a disgrace. Next they'll be exposing their legs by wearing shorts on the pitch or something.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Thursday, June 9, 2016, 09:43:58 »

According to The Daily Mail, our players are bringing the game and the country into disrepute by going topless in a pool, exposing their tattoos.

What a disgrace. Next they'll be exposing their legs by wearing shorts on the pitch or something.

Please tell me that's a joke? Scandalous that they are not going into swimming pools in wetsuits!

I have been watching a few documentaries about Euro 96 and it was interesting that Venables let his players go out for drinks etc and didn't lambast them after the Dentist Chair debacle. It seemed that the players came together after this and the team cameradery was evident. But for Gazza not being an inch taller, we would have won that tournament. Gazza and Ince used to drink a lot in their rooms.

Now, I am not suggesting that we should repeat the Hong Kong incident, but I think team bonding (a la Leicester this year) is very important. At international level sometimes England teams look like total strangers.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Flashheart

« Reply #48 on: Thursday, June 9, 2016, 09:48:38 »

Actually, I just double checked and it was England rugby players, not football players. That'll teach me not to skim-read.

Still though.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3632322/Whatever-happened-sport-gentlemen-England-rugby-stars-lay-bare-tattoos-game-s-wholesome-image-kicked-touch.html
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Thursday, June 9, 2016, 10:25:40 »

Nah i reckon being our captain and all time top goalscorer gives him that right  Wink

So until that time did Gary Lineker have an automatic right be in the starting line ups  Wink? He may have been old but his form would probably been as good as Rooney's recently, he's been a great servant to England and is still on his day well worth a place, but those days are getting rarer and to shunt the whole team around just to accommodate him seems a little perverse?
Don Rogers Sock

« Reply #50 on: Thursday, June 9, 2016, 10:29:29 »

So until that time did Gary Lineker have an automatic right be in the starting line ups  Wink? He may have been old but his form would probably been as good as Rooney's recently, he's been a great servant to England and is still on his day well worth a place, but those days are getting rarer and to shunt the whole team around just to accommodate him seems a little perverse?
Thing is i would argue we are moving him around to accomadate peoples need to want Vardy and Kane upfront together. Rooney will still score goals if played upfront and you could see in the last game when moved upfront how his clever movement improved us. I rate Vardy but his movement is totally different and suited to a different style and formation to what we play.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Thursday, June 9, 2016, 10:36:17 »

Surely it's better to play players who are in form? Rooney isn't one of those.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Don Rogers Sock

« Reply #52 on: Thursday, June 9, 2016, 10:38:27 »

The form thing slightly annoys me. Play the players who are in form for their country not for their clubs. On that basis we should have Danny Simpson at right back
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Thursday, June 9, 2016, 10:50:36 »

But kyle Walker has also had a good season so that's debatable.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Thursday, June 9, 2016, 10:52:15 »

On that basis half the squad shouldn't be there, form is a side show in this squad, actually being fit would be a start!
Don Rogers Sock

« Reply #55 on: Thursday, June 9, 2016, 10:54:14 »

But kyle Walker has also had a good season so that's debatable.

You know what i'm saying though. How a player plays in a different team and a different formation shouldn't really effect everything
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Thursday, June 9, 2016, 11:04:40 »

The form thing slightly annoys me. Play the players who are in form for their country not for their clubs. On that basis we should have Danny Simpson at right back

i agree. the mark noble debate for instance. has he ever played at the pinacle on english football? champions league? international football? No. but everyone wants to throw him onto the world stage without any previous at that level. (note this is different to rashford as its young raw talent in a position where he is not necessarily in line to be called on but COULD be a game changer in a less risky position.) if there was a debate for mark noble to be had it should have been in qualifying not for the final squad selection. he has had a good season which no one can deny.  however if the euros where next season then he might have had a chance. in qualifying players like wiltshire and rooney were brilliant and as such got us there. they deserve to keep their places if they can prove their fitness.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #57 on: Thursday, June 9, 2016, 11:05:35 »

Class is permanent and Rooney is one of, if not THE best player available to Roy. All this hand wringing about form is pointless. He'll play in the starting 11 because he is one of the 11 best players. The end.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Thursday, June 9, 2016, 11:19:07 »

personally, i wouldnt start vardy. everyone is slating rooneys selection by saying they have to pick the players to fit around him. well thats exactly what is happening with vardy. he doesn't suit our system but because he has had a good season people demand he starts. vardy as an impact sub would be fantastic in my eyes. the amount of players that have not put in a shift in the past yet start makes the rooney hatred even more stupid. he gives everything in an england shirt and his goal record is outstanding.

hart
walker smalling cahill rose
lallana/wiltshire dier ali rooney sterling
kane

enough pace and attack to get us through any games.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Thursday, June 9, 2016, 11:19:50 »

in qualifying players like wiltshire and rooney were brilliant and as such got us there. they deserve to keep their places if they can prove their fitness.

A manager has to take into account players who got you there....trying to build some sort of bonds and team spirit is crucial and very difficult to do with international sides.

Listening on 5 live t'other night about Euro 96, Terry Venables favoured letting the lads get well and truly bladdered and indulge in Wimbledonesque antics.  Not really an option for Woy
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 11   Go Up
Print
Jump to: