Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Port Vale away  (Read 65389 times)
Hoboken

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: Thursday, March 19, 2015, 18:57:31 »

I don't hate you.

I just thought at the time, and still think today with this latest version of your sanitised happy clappy bollock's, that if you want to galvanise the support, a couple of fucking fairies waving home made flags and a bit of 'ticker tape' around is just a bit shit.

If you fancy going all in, getting some proper flags and banners produced to recognise the club's history and create a proper atmosphere, then let's do it. This whole exercise that was undertaken is a waste of time, effort and money. You either get 'partisan' or don't fucking bother.

Credit where it's due, you were fairly prominent at the time (if a little over opinionated) but it served a purpose, as embarrassing as it was.

Who made you the judge about what's acceptable in supporting your club? If people want to throw paper and balloons in the air, what's wrong with that? Jay's efforts on Saturday not only started the game off positively, but it carried through the whole game.
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: Thursday, March 19, 2015, 19:18:51 »

... if you want to galvanise the support, a couple of fucking fairies waving home made flags and a bit of 'ticker tape' around is just a bit shit...

Just thought I'd repeat that for posterity's sake.
red sheldon

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: Thursday, March 19, 2015, 20:30:24 »

Was it Blackburn away in the Playoffs that there was loads of ticker tape!  I remember it was very impressive for a young lad

JanTheMan

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: Thursday, March 19, 2015, 20:31:27 »

I hate shit things in football more than the average bloke (drums, mk, song sheets, pox, out of town stadia, legroom), but after the balloons had burst, it was the best atmosphere all season (from eight aways). There was nothing sanitised about it. If jays 2mins at the start of the game had an impact on everyone singing for the remaining 88, which I believe it did, then I'm up for more.

« Last Edit: Thursday, March 19, 2015, 20:36:52 by JanTheMan » Logged
JanTheMan

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: Thursday, March 19, 2015, 20:36:18 »

Yep. And Stoke last game of season. Pic in the centre fold of the Blackburn programme if I remember. Keep meaning to have a look next I'm home. I've got a lot of time for ticka tape. Still old school without being too, you know, what ironside try's to describe. Jay could save himself some money and just tear up a load of free papers into a bin bag and stand outside the away end giving everyone a handful.  We were knee deep at Wembley 90. As a a 10 year old, that was ace.
kerry red

« Reply #170 on: Thursday, March 19, 2015, 21:00:04 »

Was it Blackburn away in the Playoffs that there was loads of ticker tape!  I remember it was very impressive for a young lad

Dunno. I was truly bladdered.
Mother Brown

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: Thursday, March 19, 2015, 21:32:57 »

Dunno. I was truly bladdered.
Bring back the days when you could sing and  point at opposing fans.
Maybe chuck a bog roll or two.
kerry red

« Reply #172 on: Thursday, March 19, 2015, 21:44:24 »

I chucked alright - but it wasn't a bog roll.

That was one of my favourite away days
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: Thursday, March 19, 2015, 22:15:45 »

Ironside, the original fun of football has long gone. The getting up on the fence to goad the away fans etc. A lot of it was harmless and a lot of it wasn't. There's nothing more depressing at a football match than silence and groaning,  if Jay wants to inject a bit of enthusiasm back into the game then fair play to him. Many people look at palace and the fact that they have brought a bit of old school back to the game. Many people want it, very few achieve it. That's a shame.
Ironside
Wir müssen die Liberalen ausrotten

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: Thursday, March 19, 2015, 22:33:18 »

Ironside, the original fun of football has long gone. The getting up on the fence to goad the away fans etc. A lot of it was harmless and a lot of it wasn't. There's nothing more depressing at a football match than silence and groaning,  if Jay wants to inject a bit of enthusiasm back into the game then fair play to him. Many people look at palace and the fact that they have brought a bit of old school back to the game. Many people want it, very few achieve it. That's a shame.
Palace have brought nothing but a plastic, sanitised version of football to the premiership.

You can go to any ground on a matchday,  walk in to any stand and sing a song about their most hated rival and all you'll receive is a few disapproving comments and a few dirty looks. How fucking plastic is that?

I'm not suggesting going back to the old days of fighting, I'm just saying that  unless there's some hostility, some hatred of the opposition but more importantly some massive over exaggeration of loyalty, Jay's little exhibition just makes us look like a Yeovil or a Cheltenham when they win against a 'rival'. Passion counts, but it needs to come from within.

Genius, Gentleman Explorer, French Cabaret Chantoose  and Small Bets Placed and someone who knows who they are changed my signature but its only know that I can be arsed to change it....and I mean all the spelling mistakes.

Was it me? It can't have been an interesting enough event for me to remember - fB.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: Thursday, March 19, 2015, 22:37:54 »

So you like the buzz of the "threat"?
Hammer

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: Thursday, March 19, 2015, 22:47:56 »

I hate shit things in football more than the average bloke (drums, mk, song sheets, pox, out of town stadia, legroom), but after the balloons had burst, it was the best atmosphere all season (from eight aways). There was nothing sanitised about it. If jays 2mins at the start of the game had an impact on everyone singing for the remaining 88, which I believe it did, then I'm up for more.

This is quite a strange argument in that all parties have made fairly valid points. I'm not too sure that even the most accomplished of (sports) psychologists could establish a link between pro-active support and success on the pitch.

It is true that the so-called "wall of colour" was visible at the start of the Vale game. It is true that we were noisy for much of the first half. It's also true that Town came out all guns blazing for the first 20 minutes or so, when usually that period is characterised by lethargy, nervousness and vulnerability.

What isn't true is that Town fans sang for 90 minutes. The second half (while we were being dominated) saw the same nervousness amongst the fans, as usually happens. The dour, slow, half-hearted singing of "Come on you Reds" sometimes really grates. This is where we got back to the norm....the "wall of colour" suddenly became irrelevant.

So how do we harness the enthusiasm that Jay has articulated to best effect ? As much as I commend his efforts, I don't see that a 5 foot flag is going to contribute to anything. Most supporters and players will not even see it. Those that do may well not even understand it. The Trust is trying to encourage young potential fans; a distant splodge of a distant Norwegian player from yester-year isn't really going to register.

This is where I can empathise with Ironside. I perhaps wouldn't use the word "sanitised", but more likely "contrived".

Do I have a solution ? No' not really. The old adage springs to mind...."actions speak louder than words". Perhaps it should be inverted. Maybe, sing at the beginning and at the start of the second half, bring out the balloons, flags and ticker-tape. It will count most should we have to settle for the play-offs. Plenty of time to plan and pool resources.
Mother Brown

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: Thursday, March 19, 2015, 23:02:58 »

This is quite a strange argument in that all parties have made fairly valid points. I'm not too sure that even the most accomplished of (sports) psychologists could establish a link between pro-active support and success on the pitch.

It is true that the so-called "wall of colour" was visible at the start of the Vale game. It is true that we were noisy for much of the first half. It's also true that Town came out all guns blazing for the first 20 minutes or so, when usually that period is characterised by lethargy, nervousness and vulnerability.

What isn't true is that Town fans sang for 90 minutes. The second half (while we were being dominated) saw the same nervousness amongst the fans, as usually happens. The dour, slow, half-hearted singing of "Come on you Reds" sometimes really grates. This is where we got back to the norm....the "wall of colour" suddenly became irrelevant.

So how do we harness the enthusiasm that Jay has articulated to best effect ? As much as I commend his efforts, I don't see that a 5 foot flag is going to contribute to anything. Most supporters and players will not even see it. Those that do may well not even understand it. The Trust is trying to encourage young potential fans; a distant splodge of a distant Norwegian player from yester-year isn't really going to register.

This is where I can empathise with Ironside. I perhaps wouldn't use the word "sanitised", but more likely "contrived".

Do I have a solution ? No' not really. The old adage springs to mind...."actions speak louder than words". Perhaps it should be inverted. Maybe, sing at the beginning and at the start of the second half, bring out the balloons, flags and ticker-tape. It will count most should we have to settle for the play-offs. Plenty of time to plan and pool resources.

Get rid of goal celebration music for starters.
I reckon crowd segregation should go as well ,it would gee up the atmosphere.
Proper  "old school"  Sword Fight
« Last Edit: Thursday, March 19, 2015, 23:09:30 by Mother Brown » Logged
Hoboken

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: Thursday, March 19, 2015, 23:44:05 »

Palace have brought nothing but a plastic, sanitised version of football to the premiership.

You can go to any ground on a matchday,  walk in to any stand and sing a song about their most hated rival and all you'll receive is a few disapproving comments and a few dirty looks. How fucking plastic is that?

I'm not suggesting going back to the old days of fighting, I'm just saying that  unless there's some hostility, some hatred of the opposition but more importantly some massive over exaggeration of loyalty, Jay's little exhibition just makes us look like a Yeovil or a Cheltenham when they win against a 'rival'. Passion counts, but it needs to come from within.

Oh dear. So now we have to hate the opposition to be a genuine fan? I like that I can talk to fans of the other team and not have to fear that my wife or son aren't going to get caught in some nasty encounter.
Hammer

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: Thursday, March 19, 2015, 23:59:28 »

Oh dear. So now we have to hate the opposition to be a genuine fan? I like that I can talk to fans of the other team and not have to fear that my wife or son aren't going to get caught in some nasty encounter.

Oh dear. I can't help but think you have maybe missed out on something. Murdoch's kids. Pfffft.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15   Go Up
Print
Jump to: