Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Port Vale away  (Read 64947 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #195 on: Friday, March 20, 2015, 20:18:59 »

It might not be the same, but you don't need the threat of a violent encounter to have a good atmosphere (not saying anyone said this mind)!

Got kids to take now, I've become a quiet sit downer in the DRS. Some dude tried to get a "Give us an S" going last game. It made me realise how long ago it was that I heard/sang that..

But it wasn't so long ago I used to stand in the Town End, and when it got going in there your ears used to resonate with the cheering/singing and you couldn't hear a fucking thing.

Where are the young fans to replace the lost old farts? Is football to them a quite, prawn sandwhich, sanitised affair. Or am I being too harsh.

@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: Friday, March 20, 2015, 20:23:44 »

Where are the young fans to replace the lost old farts? Is football to them a quite, prawn sandwhich, sanitised affair. Or am I being too harsh.

Nope not harsh at all
Not sure when it all went quiet but the 70/80s were a hundred times louder than today.
Maybe its all seated stadia, maybe evil of sky, maybe just today's society or a combination of any and all.
I do miss the TE in full cry tho
Mother Brown

Ignore
« Reply #197 on: Friday, March 20, 2015, 20:29:10 »

[/quote]I've never ever met a footballer who said, "you know what? when I fucked up and got booed that really spurred me on".
The whole team deserved the boos they got at Histon a few years back.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #198 on: Friday, March 20, 2015, 21:18:14 »

It might not be the same, but you don't need the threat of a violent encounter to have a good atmosphere (not saying anyone said this mind)!

Got kids to take now, I've become a quiet sit downer in the DRS. Some dude tried to get a "Give us an S" going last game. It made me realise how long ago it was that I heard/sang that..

But it wasn't so long ago I used to stand in the Town End, and when it got going in there your ears used to resonate with the cheering/singing and you couldn't hear a fucking thing.

That was probably Nathan.
Back of the DR nearest TE level with 18 yard box.
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #199 on: Friday, March 20, 2015, 22:30:19 »

That was probably Nathan.
Back of the DR nearest TE level with 18 yard box.

Yep, that'll be Nath. Let's have a few more people joining him. I sit a lot further down in the same block. I try to join in but often feel there's not enough of us!
Nathan

Ignore
« Reply #200 on: Friday, March 20, 2015, 23:21:52 »

Yep, that'll be Nath. Let's have a few more people joining him. I sit a lot further down in the same block. I try to join in but often feel there's not enough of us!

Welcome to my world! :-)
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #201 on: Friday, March 20, 2015, 23:25:42 »

I'll go down the unpopular route here but the late 70s / early 80s were fucking great and a lot of it was because the threat of violence. You left home with your mates and sometimes didn't have a clue what was waiting for you. I've smacked a few, been smacked, ran like fuck a few times, chased a few and bluffed my way out of loads of shit, been in in a few home ends. I wouldn't take a minute of it back. Away games were much more fun. Going to the Manor with a group of mates - nothing like it. The atmosphere in the Town End was electric for the big games moreso when someone tried to take it. Adrenalin and fists flying all over the place. If you had two groups of lads who wanted it then let them crack on.
The brick throwing or tooling up was for wankers. Town used to do a good job of self policing if the rules of engagement were broken.
It was a rights of passage and I don't wish to go back there but it was great fun.
I go with my daughter now and am probably the most boring cunt in the ground.
Fair play to Jay though. You've got up off your arse and done something constructive. keep it going Jay, I wish I had your enthusiasm.      
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #202 on: Saturday, March 21, 2015, 01:46:21 »

It was a rights of passage and I don't wish to go back there but it was great fun.

Started in the 60's...but yes a rite of passage....for many years now, kids mostly look elsewhere for such activities...which is why the crowd at the CG has a senior profile...or little tackers dragged along or furnished with free tickets.
Hammer

Ignore
« Reply #203 on: Saturday, March 21, 2015, 02:33:04 »

I'll go down the unpopular route here but the late 70s / early 80s were fucking great and a lot of it was because the threat of violence. You left home with your mates and sometimes didn't have a clue what was waiting for you. I've smacked a few, been smacked, ran like fuck a few times, chased a few and bluffed my way out of loads of shit, been in in a few home ends. I wouldn't take a minute of it back. Away games were much more fun. Going to the Manor with a group of mates - nothing like it. The atmosphere in the Town End was electric for the big games moreso when someone tried to take it. Adrenalin and fists flying all over the place. If you had two groups of lads who wanted it then let them crack on.
The brick throwing or tooling up was for wankers. Town used to do a good job of self policing if the rules of engagement were broken.
Fair play to Jay though. You've got up off your arse and done something constructive. keep it going Jay, I wish I had your enthusiasm.      

Absolutely Spot On. Post of the Century. Hang on though.... what about the early to mid 1970's ? The Doc Martens sprayed with red glitter, the Bay City Rollers trousers, the silk Town scarves tied around the wrist ? But let's get realistic. Us owd'uns become more mellow with age. Chuck in a sprog or two and attitudes quite rightfully change dramatically. Unfortunately, despite my advancing years, and when Town fans have been under threat, I have struggled to stop myself from "steaming in".
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #204 on: Saturday, March 21, 2015, 04:27:45 »

I miss it! Those WERE the days...

Clems Army!
kerry red

« Reply #205 on: Saturday, March 21, 2015, 05:36:24 »

There were loads of bricks thrown when Cardiff were ambushed on their way back to the station - loads of Town fans waiting where the bus station was being built.

Taffs laying all over the road!
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #206 on: Saturday, March 21, 2015, 08:15:17 »

Yep, what we really need to make football great again is the threat of having your head kicked in.

Sounds great.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #207 on: Saturday, March 21, 2015, 09:10:53 »

Yep, what we really need to make football great again is the threat of having your head kicked in.

Sounds great.
I'm with you on that Samdy. I know some people get a buzz out of violence or perceived threat thereof but it's never done anything for me whatsoever.  I completely fail to see the attraction but I suppose it would be very boring if we were all the same.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #208 on: Saturday, March 21, 2015, 10:02:20 »

Chalkies actually said

"I don't wish to go back there" and was most certainly not advocating that violence or the threat of it would improve football.

Dismiss away the fun that we dinosaur fans drone on about but the threat of violence did inevitably heighten the senses and at times the passion and excitement as did, within the ground, the terracing - also at it's most dangerous and exciting when packed.

As a fan, I was embarrassed by football violence at the time but I do not regret having found the dangerous aspects exciting even if incidental to my experience.  I do hope that posters aren't against all rites of passage that are not organised and officially approved?

Looking at the present, I embrace the fact that there are more women fans and family areas and especially what Jaybox is doing.  I really hope Jaybox's initiatives gain traction and can help up the passion and support for the team throughout the whole 96 minutes and improve the whole experience (unlike drums and Crystal Palace piped music after a goal).

COYR!

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #209 on: Saturday, March 21, 2015, 10:20:06 »

Jay, keep it up.  Ironside, I've always thought you'd probably give me a kiss and a hug if we met.

When we had a bash at this in 2005 it was mainly as result of my dismay at the sheer negativity and depressing nature of being around fellow fans at that time.  I've seen some terrible seasons, but going to football has always been about having fun for me.  Certainly as we moved into the 2000's it seemed more and more to me that people were actually out to have a bad time - and I'm excluding the types that enjoy themselves in the TE style atmosphere's here.  For all our efforts at flags, banners and ticket tape etc. (and it was a lot of personal effort for those involved) it was only ever geared to trying to brighten the atmosphere of those around us - the idea being that get those people a little more positive and the singing sections can bring a few more along with them.

As it happens, it was pretty far removed from my usual experience at a football match.  My teen to early 20's years were spent just in front of the cock at the back of the Bank and then later enjoying a good pint or 7 before a game.  Anyone who met me around those times will probably vouch for the fact that having a good time and some beers was more my thing -I present my state at Cheltenham when I failed to understand how seat rows and numbers worked for a day and Walsall away.  The mini bus adventures were a great laugh and it didn't need any flags and streamers for me to have fun and remain positive.

But.....for others, some of it did rise a smile, get their kids involved and if it raised just one persons spirits it was worth the effort.

On the other subjects, never really got the violence thing at football.  I remember dodging bits of the Bank coming my way against Bournemouth, which was not much fun at all.  I struggle to comprehend how taking a good beating is a rights of passage, it's not stopped me in life because I didn't get in fights as a kid.  Who knows if I could hold my own in a fight? so far, it's not really been a problem getting promotions at work or buying the weekly shop at Asda.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15   Go Up
Print
Jump to: