Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 18   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: HTC Desire  (Read 57920 times)
stfcinbmth

« Reply #45 on: Sunday, August 1, 2010, 15:13:10 »

I've got an HTC Hero - which I can't get to pick up the wireless in my flat. Anybody had similar problems or have any ideas?

Try changing the wireless channel in the router 1,6 or 11 are your best bet
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #46 on: Sunday, August 1, 2010, 16:24:31 »

...Froyo? Seriously?

Anyway, I've just got a Wildfire. Any important apps, preferably free ones?

Each Android version is named after a foodstuff. Previous was Eclair, next will be Gingerbread. Nom nom nom.

Apps - look at the start of the thread. Personally I'd get Estrongs file explorer over Astro now, because you can transfer files over wi-fi which is so much easier than fishing around for the usb lead. I'd also get the official ebay app over pktauctions ebay if you use ebay.

Most apps are free or have free versions. If you do pay for an app then you get a refund if you uninstall it within 24 hours.

I've got an HTC Hero - which I can't get to pick up the wireless in my flat. Anybody had similar problems or have any ideas?

Can you get it to work on other wi-fi networks?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Sunday, August 1, 2010, 16:49:57 »

Android 2.2 (Froyo) now out for HTC Desire via over the air update. Branded handsets will have to wait until the network fiddle around and release their own versions.
HTC-specific stuff includes:
The update will provide 720p video capture, HTC's App Share widget, as well as our enhanced HTC Caller ID, and improved multi-language keyboard. Also, though the update, HTC Sync will allow HTC Desire users to sync their music with iTunes.
according to techradar: http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/htc-desire-android-2-2-update-coming-this-weekend-706700

So I assume the 720p bit means it includes firmware update as well to enable HD-ish video?

Bah, I'm on voda so it'll probably be October before I get to find out for myself
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #48 on: Sunday, August 1, 2010, 16:58:09 »

I've debranded and just updated to v2.2. It does include 720p recording
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Sunday, August 1, 2010, 16:59:51 »

I've debranded and just updated to v2.2. It does include 720p recording
Woot!
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday, August 3, 2010, 15:20:17 »

HTC-specific stuff includes:according to techradar: http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/htc-desire-android-2-2-update-coming-this-weekend-706700

So I assume the 720p bit means it includes firmware update as well to enable HD-ish video?

Bah, I'm on voda so it'll probably be October before I get to find out for myself

So is there not a way of plugging it in to the pc via usb or wifi to get the update - will the network block the update, I didn't think that my Desire was branded although I'm on Voda also so maybe it is ??
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday, August 3, 2010, 15:26:14 »

So is there not a way of plugging it in to the pc via usb or wifi to get the update - will the network block the update, I didn't think that my Desire was branded although I'm on Voda also so maybe it is ??
It's not the transport mechanism that's the issue - whether you're on Vodafone, O2 or completely unbranded/unlocked, you'd still want to get it over Wi-Fi. My phone also isn't "branded" per se, ie there's no Voda logo on startup etc, but I've still got the Vodafone-specific firmware. That's what dictates whether you can get the "unbranded" (ie available now) update or whether you have to wait for your network provider. The Voda-specific FW is listed as 2.1-update1 FW version and the software is listed as 1.19.161.x (Menu->Settings->About Phone->Software information)
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #52 on: Tuesday, August 3, 2010, 15:27:10 »

Go to menu>settings>about phone>system software updates>check now

There may be more than one update (or non at all depending on which network you're on), so once the first is done check again. It can be done over wi-fi.

If you really want to you can debrand the phone to receive the update earlier. On Voda it shouldn't network lock the phone, but the updates should be out on all networks soonish.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #53 on: Tuesday, August 3, 2010, 15:33:47 »

Just seen, it's not out on Vodafone. The latest update adds load of unwanted crap, music store etc.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday, August 3, 2010, 15:36:25 »

Just seen, it's now out on Vodafone.
Don't think it is. There's an update available, but it's not Froyo, it's a shitload of VF branding stuff/bloatware apps which turns unbranded phones into branded ones. Update number is 1.24.161.3, all it does is splurge Voda crap all over the phone
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday, August 3, 2010, 15:40:22 »

Oooh, you cheated and changed it Smiley

They're going mad on the Vodafone forums, makes us over here getting suicidal over Greer look positively rational
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday, August 3, 2010, 15:52:02 »

Don't think it is. There's an update available, but it's not Froyo, it's a shitload of VF branding stuff/bloatware apps which turns unbranded phones into branded ones. Update number is 1.24.161.3, all it does is splurge Voda crap all over the phone

Will I have to download this crap when Froyo is available or can you choose which updates, my settings are the same as yours Paul
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday, August 3, 2010, 15:55:01 »

Will I have to download this crap when Froyo is available or can you choose which updates, my settings are the same as yours Paul
NAFC. Think you can choose, but whether the branding update will be a requirement for "official" Voda Froyo isn't clear. If it is, I'll be looking into whether I can put on a stock ROM without voiding my warranty. Fucking Vodafone, this is exactly why I didn't get a bloody iPhone
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #58 on: Tuesday, August 3, 2010, 15:59:14 »

I don't see how it'll void the warranty, as long as it is official untampered software because as far as HTC will be concerned, you have the correct software . Apparently a lot of retailers sell them on contracts without branding anyway. This is why I de-branded my software.

You can do it via USB on your computer, you just have to get the correct official update file. I'll post a link up to the one I did it from if you like. I doubt it will be tonight though.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday, August 3, 2010, 16:03:07 »

I don't see how it'll void the warranty, as long as it is official untampered software because as far as HTC will be concerned, you have the correct software
Yes, but my first port of call if I get a problem with the phone will be Vodafone rather than HTC as it's them I have the contract with. And I'd like to see something in writing from them saying I won't get some Customer service dickhead trying to claim it's my fault because I've moved to an official HTC FW image rather than be forced into accepting VF bloatware
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 18   Go Up
Print
Jump to: