Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 18   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: HTC Desire  (Read 57554 times)
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #60 on: Tuesday, August 3, 2010, 16:17:01 »

They'll more than likely just send it back to HTC without looking at it. That's what's happened to other phones (not HTC on vodafone I admit) that I have flashed before. I'm not saying that's a definitive answer of course.

I would wait until Vodafone release 2.2. Someone will get the RUU (the exe file/usb method) for the Vodafone version so and you can just flash back if your phone goes wrong. Of course, if it doesn't turn on you can't though.

I have the fail safe that I have phone insurance and my excess is only £10.

Also this from Vodafone's website - so if you got it direct from them you could be unlucky

Can I use Vodafone's phone and device repair service?
Monthly / Pay as you goAll phones which are directly purchased from a Vodafone store, Vodafone contact centre and Vodafone Online are supported on our repair process.
We also support Vodafone USB modems but if you have bought a Dell netbook then you need to contact Dell Customer Support directly on 08443 381 000.
If you have bought a pay as you go Vodafone phone from one of our sales partners (Phones4U for example) this will be supported as well.

What is not supported? Phones bought from other retailers but on Vodafone airtime.
Why? Other retailers often sell models that are not supported by Vodafone or same models but different software, however if you contact your retailer they will be able to tell you the support options available to you.

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday, August 3, 2010, 16:20:22 »

Yeah, I'm going to wait until the situation's a bit clearer when they do release the 2.2 update and I'll let others install it first and do all the jumping up and down. In the meantime, I'll amuse myself by watching the seething rage breaking out all over the Vodafone forums - top entertainment Smiley
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #62 on: Tuesday, August 3, 2010, 16:27:04 »

Oh and don't expect bluetooth voice dialing like on standard Froyo. Apparently it's for N America only!
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Tuesday, August 3, 2010, 16:51:55 »

That's OK, I don't have a bluetooth voice anyway. I can do a squeaky one at a push
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Tuesday, August 3, 2010, 16:53:10 »

some Customer service dickhead trying to claim it's my fault because I've moved to an official HTC FW image rather than be forced into accepting VF bloatware

Funnily enough my cheap and tacky Android phone fell apart the other day. It has a custom rom on, unlocked and on 3! Since it was the USB port that went I had no way of backing out to the official ROM. We'll see what T-Mobile make of it as technically I've invalidated the warranty, but I can't beleive they'll claim that the ROM led to the USB port detaching itself Smiley
michael
The Dude Abides

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Wednesday, August 4, 2010, 16:16:26 »

How are you all getting on with the Desire?

Trying to track one down on Orange or Vodaphone but they aren't all that readily available at present.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Wednesday, August 4, 2010, 16:35:40 »

Desire itself is great. I'd steer clear of getting one on Vodafone though as it rather looks like they're determined to load all this bloatware crap into the 2.2 update when it comes. If they do, I'll probably debrand mine, which is annoying as one of the main points of getting an Android phone rather than an iPhone was that I wouldn't have to jailbreak/hack the damn thing.
otanswell

Fuck em all...

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Wednesday, August 4, 2010, 16:49:44 »

i had an htc touch on orange and an unofficial ROM installed, the phone died and they still fixed it...

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Wednesday, August 4, 2010, 18:35:14 »

i had an htc touch on orange and an unofficial ROM installed, the phone died and they still fixed it...

Yeah, T-Mobile have fixed mine. They just didn't bother to tell me. Thankfully they have a good online repair tracking service.

On the downside the job sheet says they replaced the main board and updated the firmware. Which means a new EMEI. Which means more £££ for an unlock code and half hour farting around to get it working on 3 again. Oh well!
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #69 on: Wednesday, August 4, 2010, 19:09:01 »

Paul - I know what you mean, it's the principle of it. But debranding is dead easy, simply usb and run the HTC update exe file on your pc and it does the rest. So at least it isn't an arduous process.

Batch, dunno what phone you have but I unlocked my desire for £8 from an ebay retailer. Put another network sim in my phone and then it prompted for a code. Used the code they provided (got it within an hour of purchase) and then it unlocked the phone. Dead simple. I can find a link for the place if you like.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Wednesday, August 4, 2010, 19:29:25 »

Cheers Si Pie. By £££ I mean only about £10, just annoyed I have to pay it again!
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Wednesday, August 11, 2010, 13:07:32 »

See there are conflicting stories that 2.2 eats your battery life but by the looks of it that is the only real complaints, Vodafone say they plan to release it within the next week or so and remove their add on's that they put in
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Wednesday, August 11, 2010, 13:25:18 »

See there are conflicting stories that 2.2 eats your battery life but by the looks of it that is the only real complaints, Vodafone say they plan to release it within the next week or so and remove their add on's that they put in
It's the 360 crapware Voda released a week or so ago that kills battery life; FroYo if anything marginally improves power consumption. But yes good news they seem to have backed down on installing the crapware by default with the FroYo update, albeit only in the face of a pretty intense customer revolt. Glad I won't have to root it after all, was getting ready to do so, but really didn't want to. The 360 stuff will be released after FroYo as a separate update so you'll still need to be careful not to accept updates automatically. So, all in all, good news all round. Vodafone really haven't done themselves any favours with this whole debacle though
radicalbyte

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Thursday, August 12, 2010, 07:41:27 »

Nah, battery life is slightly better if anything. What you do notice is that everything is suddenly a bit faster and smoother.  Really nice.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #74 on: Thursday, August 12, 2010, 08:00:37 »

A good tip I read yesterday for anyone suffering poor battery life is this:

In phone type:

*#*#4636#*#*

It'll bring up a menu. Go to battery history and then select 'partial wake usage' from the top drop down box and 'since last unplugged' on the bottom. If there are any apps in there which are using battery when the phone is asleep you'll find out.

I think facebook had been using battery for nearly 13 hours of the 19 my phone had been running. So I killed the process, force closed the app and rebooted. It's only used 13 seconds out of 7.5 hours now.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 18   Go Up
Print
Jump to: