Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 18   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: HTC Desire  (Read 57520 times)
Power to people

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, June 30, 2010, 13:15:33 »

So what are the best apps to download and anyone know of any tweaks to the setup

Apparrently there is 1 called something like Task Manager killer that is supposed to be one of the first to download

Will be setting mine up tonight and having a play
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, June 30, 2010, 13:41:07 »

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=594
everythign you ever needed to know about the desire.

i will warn you though if you decide to post on it, read the sticky posts as they can get quite cuntish about people asking repetative questions, but i'd suggest taking a few hours to read through it

also this
http://www.xda-developers.com/?tag=HTC-Desire,All-Android,Android-2.1,WVGA,&device=HTC%20Desire
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, June 30, 2010, 13:54:38 »

Don't use a  task manager, apparently Android is very good at managing running tasks and it just causes problems. I tried using one and a few things stopped working, uninstalled and won't be using again.

The first app you should get is called AppBrain. Download that, then head over to www.appbrain.com. There you will be able to browse the market online, select what you want to download etc. Then go to AppBrain app on your phone, select manage my apps and then sync. It'll then go through each install/uninstall one by one, including updates.

Other apps I use a lot:

Astro File Explorer - a good tool to view files/folders on your phone.
Battery time lite - easy to see how much battery you have left. If you set it up you can have a % in your task bar.
Where's my droid - allows you to set up a code phrase to text your phone when you misplace it. It'll ring the phone even if it is on silent.
UK TV droid - TV guide, can setup reminders for programmes (freeview only I think).
Handcent - alternative sms client. I like it because it gives me a quick reply pop up to every message received and can also change the LED notification colour and frequency (I set it to flash until I read the message).
Google goggles - can take pictures of foreign language and will auto-translate, or landmarks to find where you are. Also has a barcode scanner bult in for price comparison shizzle.
Pkt Auctions Ebay - Ebay app.
Google voice search - might be installed already.
Paypal - manage your account.

All those are free, I don't like paying for things. If you do pay for an app and it's shit though, if you uninstall within 24 hours you get a refund.

There are plenty of other tweaks you can do, depends what you're after really. Phandroid is probably a good place to head to, xda can be a bit involved (custom software roms etc).

Oh and an update to Android is expected this quarter for the HTC Desire Smiley
Leggett
Do you like popsicles?

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, June 30, 2010, 16:11:00 »

Just be wary of what you install, certain apps can halt the shut down process mid-way through, leaving your phone fucking useless unless you pull the battery out. I jusit had to do a factory reset on mine, shuts down ok now.

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, June 30, 2010, 16:37:42 »

Just be wary of what you install, certain apps can halt the shut down process mid-way through, leaving your phone fucking useless unless you pull the battery out.
Name and shame - which app caused the problem?

As for recommendations:

Barcode Scanner (not sure if this comes preinstalled actually) - great little app which will scan barcodes on any product and look them up on Google Shopper so you can see if that "cheap" DVD/Book etc is available cheaper online/down the road

AirHorn - fantastic "annoy your missus by being a noisy kid" fun

Android System Info - more system data than you can shake a stick at, right down to the log files.

3G Watchdog - monitor your mobile data usage, handy if you've got an "Unlimited Internet" contract which is actually 500Mb pm and you're worried about your usage.

Android LightSabre - does what it says on the tin

Remember to turn GPS off when you're not using it, eats battery like a battery-eating thing
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, June 30, 2010, 16:54:40 »

Yes, the power control widget comes in handy for turning off GPS etc.
STFC_Chris
Charlie Croker

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, June 30, 2010, 19:51:34 »

Make sure you download Layar... t'is awesome - augmented reality app.
Leggett
Do you like popsicles?

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, June 30, 2010, 23:10:32 »

erm i had a battery widget, (cant remember which) which could turn off wifi and gps too, got rid of that, the facebook app, and a couple of games (blowup lite and an airplane one!)

Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, June 30, 2010, 23:18:43 »

Yeah, I'm on about the one which is in built into the phone Smiley
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Friday, July 2, 2010, 11:15:20 »

My Facebook contacts have synced with all my other contacts, I have switched the option off now after finding it, is there a way of 'refreshing' so all the facebook contacts dissapear and just keep my contacs that I put in to the phone ?

Thought I'd ask here save searching for the answer
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #10 on: Friday, July 2, 2010, 11:23:07 »

Do you mean you don't want you contacts linked to their facebook accounts?

Or, do you mean that other facebook friends are showing up in contacts but you don't want them to appear (i.e. only contacts you've entered into your phone book)?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Friday, July 2, 2010, 11:44:51 »

Not sure if it's got an answer to your cross-fertilisation problem, but this page is pretty handy and worth looking through:

http://androidforums.com/htc-desire/59664-htc-desire-tips-tricks-read-me.html
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #12 on: Friday, July 2, 2010, 11:52:26 »

If you want to hide facebook contacts just go to People>Menu>View>untick Facebook
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Friday, July 2, 2010, 13:08:54 »

Do you mean you don't want you contacts linked to their facebook accounts?

Or, do you mean that other facebook friends are showing up in contacts but you don't want them to appear (i.e. only contacts you've entered into your phone book)?

I don't want to view my facebook contacts only in if I'm in facebook when I send a text for e.g.  - at the moment if I go to new message or if I go to make a call I can see all facebook contacts as well as mine - and I don't want to

I have unticked the option within view but it still shows all facebook contacts so I have to scroll through everyone and it's a pain
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #14 on: Sunday, July 4, 2010, 13:05:26 »

Did you get this sorted? Could try ticking the 'only contacts with phone numbers' box in view.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 18   Go Up
Print
Jump to: