Poll
Question: Should we sanction airstrikes in syria
Yes - 30 (32.3%)
No - 51 (54.8%)
Dont Know - 12 (12.9%)
Total Voters: 82

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Bombing Syria  (Read 20483 times)
normy

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Thursday, December 3, 2015, 11:09:43 »

I don't like the fact that whatever's left of Syria is still legally under Assad, so are we technically starting a new war? We are not invited to help Syria, unlike the Russians.  We only know a small part of the picture of course, but I am uneasy about all the attack aircraft now flying in a small zone with the risk of 'accidents'.

ust be the oldest
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Thursday, December 3, 2015, 11:15:32 »

I don't like the fact that whatever's left of Syria is still legally under Assad, so are we technically starting a new war? We are not invited to help Syria, unlike the Russians.  We only know a small part of the picture of course, but I am uneasy about all the attack aircraft now flying in a small zone with the risk of 'accidents'.
Nah, it'll be fine. It's not like the Russians under Putin have a track record of being a bit over-sensitive and going boots-in or the Americans being gung-ho and a little slapdash in their targetting, so no chance of an accident getting out of control or anything
Talk Talk

« Reply #62 on: Thursday, December 3, 2015, 11:19:10 »

Careful.  Comments like that may come back to haunt you.

Well it's pretty inevitable now, isn't it? Another Paris in London probably. Human beings getting killed in Europe and the Middle East. I mean really, what the fuck? People's families and lives. On the whim of fucking nutters.

You just need to look at the last 3 times we've done it - Afghanistan, Iraq and Libya - and see how they turned out. Where we are now, basically.

Exactly. History is supposed to educate to not repeat the mistakes of the past. Yep, keep poking that hornet's nest. Brilliant...
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Thursday, December 3, 2015, 11:30:02 »

Provide a military plan, costings, territorial objectives, timescales and, above all, an exit strategy...and I'd very possibly support military action.  But none of these were on the table yesterday.

It scares me that so many MPs felt able to vote for airstrikes when - quite clearly - none can have really known what they were voting for.  It was a vote to 'do something'.  Anything.

There should now be a massive political effort to coordinate an international opposition to Daesh on the ground in Syria.  Taking speculative pot shots from the sky will achieve nothing.

Are you and Horlock considering rescinding your LibDem membership? They were particularly spineless on this issue.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Thursday, December 3, 2015, 11:35:50 »

It's seems ISIL have started revenge already, and taken Office 365 out of action. Well via the web browser anyway.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Thursday, December 3, 2015, 11:43:49 »

Are you and Horlock considering rescinding your LibDem membership? They were particularly spineless on this issue.

I am touched you remembered...

What like putting questions to Cameron in writing prior to the debate and then providing a detailed and argued justification to their members for their position via email yesterday, I suppose alternatively they could have just waved their cocks around in parliament yesterday trying to score political points rather than debating the issue (the wasting of huge amounts of time by repeated questions to Cameron to apologise and his rhetoric avoiding thus - Corbyn selectively quoting form the 'Syrian Family' in his constituency to support his point rather than accurately stating what they actually said). I could go on, but sadly the whole issue got lost in party politics.

I (like Tim Farron in fact) admit I am not sure what the answer is but it isn't just an excuse for the usual suspects to score points! I do find it a little rich Labour banging on about evidence after Iraq (hell this looks like a smoking gun compared to Blair's little adventure).
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Thursday, December 3, 2015, 11:44:33 »

It's seems ISIL have started revenge already, and taken Office 365 out of action. Well via the web browser anyway.

You wait it will be Candy Crush Saga next!
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Thursday, December 3, 2015, 12:06:51 »

I'll probably let the membership lapse at the end of the year, to tell the truth.  As Horlock07 says, there's not much to object to with Farron's approach.  It was all well explained (even if I didn't agree with the conclusion).  I'm just not that impressed with the party generally at the moment.

There's no right or wrong here, as others have said.  There can't be.  We don't have the hard facts needed to make such a judgement.  All each of us does have is an instinct - and that is what we're going with in the main.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Thursday, December 3, 2015, 12:10:33 »

I'll probably let the membership lapse at the end of the year, to tell the truth.  As Horlock07 says, there's not much to object to with Farron's approach.  It was all well explained (even if I didn't agree with the conclusion).  I'm just not that impressed with the party generally at the moment.

There's no right or wrong here, as others have said.  There can't be.  We don't have the hard facts needed to make such a judgement.  All each of us does have is an instinct - and that is what we're going with in the main.

Did you vote for Farron out of interest? I put my vote in for Lamb, who voted against the bombing yesterday. Interesting that a party with 8 MPs managed to get a split (Lamb and Mark Williams voted against, the other six for)

Not sure if I'll renew my membership yet. I went to one local party event and it was very much full of people who were very sure that their party was perfect and the others universally terrible. Might give it another go, but I'm not sure I'm as certain as all that.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Thursday, December 3, 2015, 12:21:58 »

Seems to have hit Sharepoint too, or at least we're having trouble anyway.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Thursday, December 3, 2015, 12:27:31 »

I thought Farron's thing about a migrant washing up in Greece and saying "daddy are ISIS here?" as his justification for a difficult decision was pathetic. Far better to have thought of some kid in Syria saying...."daddy are the RAF here?" as bombs rain down.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Thursday, December 3, 2015, 12:31:44 »

Seems to have hit Sharepoint too, or at least we're having trouble anyway.

Azure went down for reasons unknown at 9.20 this morning, back up now, but was worldwide.
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Thursday, December 3, 2015, 12:37:59 »

it will be  the TEF next
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Thursday, December 3, 2015, 12:45:12 »

Did you vote for Farron out of interest? I put my vote in for Lamb, who voted against the bombing yesterday. Interesting that a party with 8 MPs managed to get a split (Lamb and Mark Williams voted against, the other six for)

Not sure if I'll renew my membership yet. I went to one local party event and it was very much full of people who were very sure that their party was perfect and the others universally terrible. Might give it another go, but I'm not sure I'm as certain as all that.

I did, yes (vote for Farron).

Nothing wrong with a split, even with just 8 MPs.  If anything, I'm slightly suspicious of the SNP who - according to Stewart Hosie - managed to achieve complete unanimity among their 50+ MPs without even needing to resort to the whip.  That either demonstrates an extraordinary degree of unity in the party, or a complete absence of internal political debate.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: Thursday, December 3, 2015, 12:49:04 »

it will be  the TEF next

They will never take the TEF.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9   Go Up
Print
Jump to: