Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Stockholm  (Read 2328 times)
Panda Paws

« on: Tuesday, December 8, 2015, 14:31:44 »

Anyone been? Places to eat, drink and see?

Have been before but not since I was a kid, going for the other half's 30th next month.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, December 8, 2015, 15:50:32 »

Several times.  Wonderful city!

Stating the obvious, I know, but wrap up.  I was there last Christmas in temperatures of -18C.  Once you have, head for Gamla Stan - the 'Old Town'.  It's almost as good as Swindon's.  Plenty of restaurants and pubs.  I'd also recommend the Vasa Museum - dedicated to the a ship that they hauled up out of the harbour some years ago (rather like the Mary Rose).

Not as expensive as it was a few years ago, either, due to favourable movements in the exchange rate.
ExiledEric

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, December 8, 2015, 17:45:40 »

Haven't been for a few weeks now but is stunning on a cold winter's day if the sun shines.  My favourite eating places are Riche and Teatergrillen in the main area.  Both not far from the harbour.  Vasa is stunning as Ardiles says.  Go on an archipelago cruise if they run in the winter.  Breathtaking.  Be careful of the beggars around the station particularly.  Also watch the cabs - some of them rip you off.  Stick to Taxi Stockholm, Taxi Kurir to be safe.  If you are feeling homesick there is a Shepherd Neame's pub (the Spitfire) on Birger Jarlsgatan and a Brewdog pub somewhere.  If you are looking to eat/drink cheaply Chinese buffets everywhere and the tend to sell cheap beer.  NK is like Harrods if your missus likes expensive shopping..  The perfume girls are impressive to say the least...
ExiledEric

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, December 8, 2015, 17:48:13 »

PS if you are flying into Arlanda the train is pricey.  If there are two of you, you may as well take a cab..
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, December 8, 2015, 18:00:52 »

PS if you are flying into Arlanda the train is pricey.  If there are two of you, you may as well take a cab..

Also the bus is also not too bad cost wise and not as bad as it sounds. It has free wifi.

Not spent too much time in Stockholm - 1 night last time, did the old Town/Royal palace, went to Skydome (which was OK, not a must do though) and ended up eating at the Hard Rock café Sad

Stayed with relatives after that.
sonicyouth

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, December 8, 2015, 18:51:50 »

Basically what everyone else said. Beautiful city and Gamla stan is amazing. Shame you're not going before Christmas though
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, December 8, 2015, 19:00:11 »

Basically what everyone else said. Beautiful city and Gamla stan is amazing.

Is that the bit where they've put all the migrants?
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, December 8, 2015, 19:47:54 »

Lovely city we went there on a lads new year tour of Sweden. Stayed on the Af Chapman (hostel on an old boat) which was an experience,  we ate at a great steakhouse one of the nights we were there.  Went to the Vasa too, which is well worth a visit.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, December 8, 2015, 22:18:58 »

Basically what everyone else said. Beautiful city and Gamla stan is amazing. Shame you're not going before Christmas though

Fuck have I missed santa?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: