Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 ... 44   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Charlie Austin  (Read 96918 times)
stfcinbmth

« Reply #405 on: Friday, January 14, 2011, 19:30:45 »

If Leefers depressed, what hope do the rest of us have!!

Agree whole heartedly
Spencer_White

« Reply #406 on: Friday, January 14, 2011, 19:33:32 »

He's not alone though.  Two people I know who are season ticket holders have told me today that they are so pissed off with everything on and off the field that they won't be renewing their season tickets.  One has said that he can't even be bothered with the rest of this season.  My dad has followed swindon for more than 50 years and even he says he feels conned after all the promises that were made in the summer and as far as he's concerned we're going backwards again. This is obviously only the tip of the iceberg and I don't doubt there's plenty more thinking along these lines.  I'm not far off tbh.

Unless some money is invested on new players in the next couple of weeks in the obvious positions they are needed, Fitton and Co are seriously going to run the risk of cutting their regular home support in half.

To be honest, I think we need a bit of a clear out of some of our fans anyway. The South Stand central 3 blocks have just become 1 massive whinge fest.

Its not that bad, the team is in re-building and we'll be back next year. No doubt all these same non renewers will be so bitter by then that they wont be comming back, well stuff em.
joteddyred

Ignore
« Reply #407 on: Friday, January 14, 2011, 19:35:05 »

Let's wait and see what happens in the next few weeks before we run our mouths off about Fitton and how the club currently is.

You sound like most people who were pissed off in the Malpas era or even beyond that. This is nowhere near that bad. OK so things haven't gone well on the pitch but we're a much better club now than we were even a few years back. We have to rebuild now for next season not just the rest of this one. So sadly selling players is a part of that as well as signing them. I think it's a bit extreme to claim that the support will cut in half and that you're not going to bother anymore just because we've sold Sean Morrison (i'm not aiming that directly at you btw I just mean in general)but hey ho.

I know we’re in a far better position financially than we have been for years.  Maybe that naively makes me think that we should be able to hold on to our assets for longer than we seem to be able to currently.

The statement about attendances being cut in half was a bit ott  I agree.  However, I do think there is real risk that attendances will drop massively next season on the back of this one.   This will then impact further on the need to continue selling players and set us back further?  It’s also not just about Morrison, it’s a follow on from Paynter, Greer and potentially Austin.  Losing 4 key players in 7 months is never going to go down particularly well.

I hope I am completely wrong, but I just don’t feel particularly confident that the money will be reinvested where it’s needed. I’ll be the first to eat humble pie if this is not the case.
nochee

« Reply #408 on: Friday, January 14, 2011, 19:35:19 »

If people are going to stop going because for the sole reason we have been shit this season then they are fickle.

People bought into the success of last season, even tho we lost at Wembley it was a great season. We all hoped for something similar or even better as the league this year is on paper easier than last season. All of the hard work from last season with recruiting new fans and building up the support has been undone. Im unsure if i will buy a ST for next season due to personal reasons but i can easily see why people are giving up.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #409 on: Friday, January 14, 2011, 19:37:34 »

So the performance isn't meeting your expectations. I'm afraid that comes as part of being a football fan. Will it stop you going? If it does you're fickle.

One could argue we wouldn't have seen Austin come here without the current setup. The Celtic lads wouldn't have come here under the old board. That's progression. It's rightly (and constantly) pointed out that we sold Greer and didn't replace him. That's hardly the root of the lack of progression despite what we thought earlier in the season.

It's not even like we had a choice not to sell Morrison. He's not been a key player for us by choice, he's inconsistent and that is always getting picked on by the fans. I will be moaning when we play shit but the club is still being run well despite the poor season.

Get a grip you fannies.
« Last Edit: Friday, January 14, 2011, 19:39:32 by Si Pie » Logged
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #410 on: Friday, January 14, 2011, 19:43:48 »

So the performance isn't meeting your expectations. I'm afraid that comes as part of being a football fan. Will it stop you going? If it does you're fickle.
Not if you've been going for 50 years. That's hardly fickle.
nochee

« Reply #411 on: Friday, January 14, 2011, 19:44:41 »

I dont disagree with you. But i can see why new fans and former supporters who decided to give the club a chance and start to attend games again with the hope of seeing something different from recent years feel like they have been sold a lie.

What is the reason we are so shit compared to last season? Is it the sale of Greer? Is it because we haven't replaced him? If so, then the news of losing another Cb is not the most refreshing.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #412 on: Friday, January 14, 2011, 19:45:42 »

Not if you've been going for 50 years. That's hardly fickle.

So this season is the straw that broke the camel's back? Cheerio then.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #413 on: Friday, January 14, 2011, 19:46:49 »

One could argue we wouldn't have seen Austin come here without the current setup. The Celtic lads wouldn't have come here under the old board. That's progression. It's rightly (and constantly) pointed out that we sold Greer and didn't replace him. That's hardly the root of the lack of progression despite what we thought earlier in the season.

It's not even like we had a choice not to sell Morrison. He's not been a key player for us by choice, he's inconsistent and that is always getting picked on by the fans. I will be moaning when we play shit but the club is still being run well despite the poor season.

Get a grip you fannies.

Talk for yourself....i for one never picked on him....and its a bit of a myth that he got picked on...most i know supported him and wanted him to do well....which he did.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #414 on: Friday, January 14, 2011, 19:49:06 »

Should have read "picked up on" leefer. He was inconsistent. For what it's worth I thought he would become a decent enough player but seems to have stagnated a bit. Disappointing we've let a promising youngster go but I don't think he'll ever be as good as Cuthbert.
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #415 on: Friday, January 14, 2011, 19:50:50 »

I dont disagree with you. But i can see why new fans and former supporters who decided to give the club a chance and start to attend games again with the hope of seeing something different from recent years feel like they have been sold a lie.

What is the reason we are so shit compared to last season? Is it the sale of Greer? Is it because we haven't replaced him? If so, then the news of losing another Cb is not the most refreshing.

That's football though and it goes back to the point Si made. You can't expect your team to win every week it just doesn't happen. Last season was a breath of fresh air and I think most of us enjoyed it and made the most of it while we could. Many of us would have believed we might not be seeing a season like that again for a while but it certainly wouldn't stop us going. In my eyes there shouldn't be any "let's give this club a chance" crap. You're a fan or you're not. Simple as that.

I don't know the answer to the question but I do know that the poor results we've had this season haven't just been down to the sale of Greer. How can 1 player affect a whole team? Other players have been poor and not up to the standards and the players that have come in have taken time to gel and at times haven't been good enough either. That's not down to us selling Greer at all.

I mean sure selling players isn't exactly news fans might want to hear but like I say Morrison wasn't exactly the bees knees and wasn't totally commited to the club. Why not sell? It wasn't really the board's fault this time.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #416 on: Friday, January 14, 2011, 19:57:37 »

That's football though and it goes back to the point Si made. You can't expect your team to win every week it just doesn't happen. Last season was a breath of fresh air and I think most of us enjoyed it and made the most of it while we could. Many of us would have believed we might not be seeing a season like that again for a while but it certainly wouldn't stop us going. In my eyes there shouldn't be any "let's give this club a chance" crap. You're a fan or you're not. Simple as that.

I don't know the answer to the question but I do know that the poor results we've had this season haven't just been down to the sale of Greer. How can 1 player affect a whole team? Other players have been poor and not up to the standards and the players that have come in have taken time to gel and at times haven't been good enough either. That's not down to us selling Greer at all.

I mean sure selling players isn't exactly news fans might want to hear but like I say Morrison wasn't exactly the bees knees and wasn't totally commited to the club. Why not sell? It wasn't really the board's fault this time.

Dont agree onion.....there are many Town fans who would come back if they felt the club were pushing on....on/off pitch.....i mean Reading were getting 4000 before the club started to show the public they were serious about a top fotball club.....its not right to say you you are either a fan or your not.....many fans cant/wont pay a lot of money to watch rubbish...
joteddyred

Ignore
« Reply #417 on: Friday, January 14, 2011, 19:58:19 »

On the field, I can understand, it has been a very disappointing season so far. Won't stop me renewing, nor most people I know, but I can understand it. But, genuinely curious, what's their beef with "off the field" stuff? The club seems better run and healthier than it's been for a long time off the field

Combination of things Paul.  These are the reasons I've heard:

The old favourites of allowing Greer to go and not adequately replacing, not extending Paynter's contract earlier,  subsequently getting no money for him and again not adequately replacing.  

Fitton has been fairly conspicious with his silence this season, wheras last season when we were doing well he was commentating on the radio and regularly giving interviews around all aspects of the club.   He only seems to have given interviews when it's clear he's really pissed off about something and apparently hasn't attended many games recently, so is possibly losing interest all round?

Seems to backtrack on things he's previously said in interviews.

Something and nothing really, people just feeling pissed off I guess?
NorwayRed
Not quite Hitler

Ignore
« Reply #418 on: Friday, January 14, 2011, 20:02:20 »

That cat looks like Jeremy Beadle.

Dave Mitchell, in other words...

Ran the fanclub: Swindon Town Supporters Club of Norway between 1992 and 1998. Now runs the non-commercial online website for Norwegian Swindon-fans.

Twitter: duncanshearer
joteddyred

Ignore
« Reply #419 on: Friday, January 14, 2011, 20:03:11 »

Out of interest Si, would you still see it as progression if the worst case scenario happened and we ended up in Leage 2 next season?
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 ... 44   Go Up
Print
Jump to: