Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Charlie Out In 24hours  (Read 44126 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #285 on: Friday, January 28, 2011, 12:58:03 »

Given it will be an undisclosed transfer fee, it's all guesswork.

Someone asked if we ever get the add-ons - yes, Cox being the most recent example where we got some cash for them getting promoted.  We also have some more due if certain appearance numbers are hit.  It's common, we've had it the other way around and it goes back years - Nestor Lorenzo anyone!
Barry Scott

« Reply #286 on: Friday, January 28, 2011, 12:58:09 »

Not it's not. 1.2m for a young, prolific English centre forward with 2 years left on his contract is pittance. What Austin wants to do has fuck all to do with it as he's under contract. There's still a few days left of the transfer window and a better offer would have come in, whether its Burnley is someone else.

I want Austin to leave as much as you but it has to be the right deal for the club. Add on's are a waste of time.

There are several things you forget. We CAN'T hold on to Austin when he wants to leave. It'd be bad for the club, his future value and the team's morale. Waiting for a few more days is also not a great idea. The sooner we can shift him, the sooner we know where we stand financially and what we can do. Add-ons a waste of time? So you would rather have an extra £500k than a 50% sell on? Or £500k after 30 goals?

I know people on here, because they seem to predominately be pessimistic miserable bastards, will go on about how we will never get 50% and all that shit, but remember nobody knows how much this transfer is worth in total, or even up front, so lets not get our knickers in a twist because News Corp has thrown some shit at a wall and everyone's bought it. Smiley

I would guess that most transfers are for initial sums well below the headline figure. eg Charlie was supposed to have cost us £50,000 but it's alleged we only paid £15k up front, although of course Poole will end up with a lot more than either sum now. Either way it's all relative.......... We will undoubtably sign a replacement at some time which would be on a similar basis

Exactly. Didn't the accounts show that we only paid a total of £50k or something for cuthbert (and someone else who I forget) and that Caddis and Ferry were £100k or something?!
thepeoplesgame

Ignore
« Reply #287 on: Friday, January 28, 2011, 12:58:53 »

I'm sure AF has done the best deal he can.

I'm sure he has too, but he's done the best deal he can in the face of the fact the player expressly wanted away and turned down a move to the club offering us the most money.

If Austin only wanted to go to Burnley then all Fitton could do was get as much out of Burnley as possible. There can be no 'bidding war' if the player only wants to go one place, which strengthens Burnley's hand enormously.
« Last Edit: Friday, January 28, 2011, 13:01:00 by thepeoplesgame » Logged
adje

Ignore
« Reply #288 on: Friday, January 28, 2011, 13:02:58 »

We are a small traditional League One selling club

£1.2-£1.5million for a player with zero experience higher than this level is not derisory.

Deal with it.

Like,say,Peterborough....I just wonder how much it would take to prize Mackail-Smith away from the posh.Would be interesting.

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #289 on: Friday, January 28, 2011, 13:03:27 »

Could someone have a trawl back through all the stories SSN have reported as fact over the past 12 months that have turned out to be utter horseshit, especially where they involve lower league clubs? Then perhaps compare that to a matrix of how much they really give a fuck if they get the details of any deal right vs the chances of us actually finding out anyway so we could say "Hey you got that wrong" vs how much they'd actually give a fuck about that when there's Torres/Beckham etc to be inaccurate about vs what that says about how much credence we should really be giving this figure they're quoting?

Thanks.

Or, in a nutshell, the news accuracy standards at SSN are shocking. If they're reporting 1.2, it could be anything from 1m - 1.5m, with or without add-ons. They may as well have said "undisclosed" for all this actually tells us and anyone getting fixated on that figure should be forced to read the Daily Mail until they need psychiatric help.

Get upset when/if we fail to get in suitable replacement with whatever the fee actually is, not over something you can't actually know to be true or not
Gnasher

Prefers animals to people (in a non sexual way)

Ignore
« Reply #290 on: Friday, January 28, 2011, 13:04:13 »

It is not the 90's

It is not Football Manager/Championship Manager

We are a small traditional League One selling club

£1.2-£1.5million for a player with zero experience higher than this level is not derisory.

Deal with it.

Spot on, but young players with bags of potential still move for big money. Soton's Oxlade-Chamberlain is valued at 10m, yet he's only made 17 L1 appearances. So what's that figure based on? Potential, or because Southampton are a bigger club than us with a decent youth academy?

Cats are better than dogs FACT
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #291 on: Friday, January 28, 2011, 13:05:18 »

Spot on, but young players with bags of potential still move for big money. Soton's Oxlade-Chamberlain is valued at 10m, yet he's only made 17 L1 appearances. So what's that figure based on? Potential, or because Southampton are a bigger club than us with a decent youth academy?
At the moment, it's based on paper talk and nothing more as it seems increasingly less likely any deal will be done.
Barry Scott

« Reply #292 on: Friday, January 28, 2011, 13:07:53 »

Also, he hasn't handed in a request, so means the club are not forced to accept a bid. (Much like Mackail-Smith or Le Fondre or countless other players that are about a million times more loyal than Charlie.)
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #293 on: Friday, January 28, 2011, 13:07:56 »

Gareth Bale.

Sounds stupid, but I guarentee you Bale's success (and Walcott to a lesser extent) has doubled Chamberlain's price.

Compare them to Cox and Parkin, the last star strikers to come from us and you can see why this happens.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #294 on: Friday, January 28, 2011, 13:09:36 »

If he handed in a transfer request aswell, he would probably leave for hell of a lot less.

Nothing worse than an unhappy player at a club who wants out.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #295 on: Friday, January 28, 2011, 13:10:23 »

Like,say,Peterborough....I just wonder how much it would take to prize Mackail-Smith away from the posh.Would be interesting.

(As mentioned in other posts)

He did well in the Championship last season. As did McLean.

In reference to systems comments about Oxlade-Chamberlain at Southampton.

He comes from an academy with great recent history and although a third tier club they can negoatiate better fees and be taken far more seriously because they are a bigger company.
lambourn red

« Reply #296 on: Friday, January 28, 2011, 13:10:51 »

Adver twitter just responded to my question about Sky sports claim

stfcadver Adver Sports Desk
@
@Lambourn_Red From what I have heard, I would be surprised if that was the fee.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #297 on: Friday, January 28, 2011, 13:12:26 »

I think if people want to be upset about the alleged fee,then fine.People saying its a good fee,stop moaning aren't necessarily correct.I compare it to the Duncan Shearer situation in a way-800,000 was a reasonable fee but it ended up costing us promotion.Some might say 1.2 million is a good fee but it might cost us our league 1 place if we cant get a decent replacement(remember Terry Gibson?)

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
RJack

Ignore
« Reply #298 on: Friday, January 28, 2011, 13:14:14 »

Tbh I'm just glad he's gone. Did his bit for the club but there's no hiding that as a team we have been under performing. Maybe Charlie played his part in our decline, maybe not nobody knows but at the end of the day he's gone and we just need to move forward as a club and and as fans get behind the team starting tomorrow regardless of who starts.

Wouldn't it be great if we could generate a bit of atmosphere tomorrow at the CG?  There is life after Charlie Austin
Barry Scott

« Reply #299 on: Friday, January 28, 2011, 13:14:35 »

Adver twitter just responded to my question about Sky sports claim

stfcadver Adver Sports Desk
@
@Lambourn_Red From what I have heard, I would be surprised if that was the fee.

Our fans love the negative though. If Fitton said it was £3m and Sky said it was £1m, I think Fitton would be classed as a liar by most fans, as opposed to Sky being the liars.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to: