Pages: 1 ... 272 273 274 [275] 276 277 278 ... 881   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2046336 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #4110 on: Wednesday, November 28, 2018, 13:49:40 »

I still believe that the EU have dictated their terms and we've meekly agreed.

Did people expect anything different?  Just from personal experience, those that wanted out would be happy without a deal anyway.  The EU was hardly going to negotiate much - for starters they want to ensure it does indeed cause some pain to leave, otherwise why bother with the Union?  Second, we had nothing to negotiate with - one vs 27+ doesn't really provide much strength, regardless of what people may think.  Me might be a net contributor to the Admin side of the EU, but that's pittance compared to the financial impact of the free trade, free movement of people etc.

Look, voting to leave means taking a financial impact at some point and to some degree.  The argument for leaving was never about short term economics, it was purely about some notion of nationhood and controlling our laws (read immigration).  Messing about trying to avoid that is pointless.  Just prepare for life after the EU, work out where our strategic trading partners are now based and begin working on trade deals.  Identify those key laws that you want to reform and do so quickly.  Look at taxation policy and decide if we can do anything differently and quickly, like changing VAT (unlikely) or corporate tax rates etc.  They won't stop the bump/cliff fall, but you then show you are shaping your future, even if that is at a rest level.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4111 on: Wednesday, November 28, 2018, 15:04:58 »

Hidden away by the Brexit shambles later today the Offensive Weapons Bill is up again. The government has dropped plans originally in the bill to ban .50 calibre military grade guns in England after pressure from hard-Brexit Tories - mainly in the ERG - and the DUP.

Why?

I'd imagine the NRA are probably funding some Tory politicians.  The likes of the Honourable Memeber for the 18th Century will have noted back then and into the early 19th Century, there was a right to bear arms in GB.  It was a time before the establishment of the Constabulary, so shootings happened. Of course guns were expensive and relatively inefficient.  Spencer Perceval, PM, was assassinated by a Scouser in Parliament.

The Colonists, just took the tradition with them and hung on to it.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #4112 on: Wednesday, November 28, 2018, 15:17:00 »

Hidden away by the Brexit shambles later today the Offensive Weapons Bill is up again. The government has dropped plans originally in the bill to ban .50 calibre military grade guns in England after pressure from hard-Brexit Tories - mainly in the ERG - and the DUP.

Why?

They know that the Zombie Apocalypse is imminent?

Ban shit that people can kill each other with and they will just find something else that will do the job.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #4113 on: Thursday, November 29, 2018, 09:34:34 »

I am intelligent, professional and vote.
I am so bored with Brexit & Trump that whenever they are mentioned on TV/Radio I immediately turn over - ignorance is bliss !
The tories were never going to agree amongst themselves, labour are only interested in manufacturing an election and the lib dems have missed the boat. Life will go on - probably as a Remainer it may be sour grapes  

The silent (and sane) majority speaks!

I usually listen with extra care when Brexit is on the TV or radio and often get worked up when Farage, Johnson or Rees Mogg are speaking.   I may need help.

I have at least become a tad more Zen about the fortunes (and mainly misfortunes) of STFC over time  Smiley
« Last Edit: Thursday, November 29, 2018, 09:37:22 by RedRag » Logged
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #4114 on: Thursday, November 29, 2018, 10:10:09 »

I'd imagine the NRA are probably funding some Tory politicians.  The likes of the Honourable Memeber for the 18th Century will have noted back then and into the early 19th Century, there was a right to bear arms in GB.  It was a time before the establishment of the Constabulary, so shootings happened. Of course guns were expensive and relatively inefficient.  Spencer Perceval, PM, was assassinated by a Scouser in Parliament.

The Colonists, just took the tradition with them and hung on to it.

There are plenty of known links between certain republican groups funded by the NRA and the various Tory think tanks and right wing pressure groups based at Tufton Street, so you are no doubt correct.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4115 on: Thursday, November 29, 2018, 10:49:49 »

Interesting from McDonnell today.... his take over the coming weeks, is that MP's will vote down May's deal, but there will not be a GE, due to turkeys not voting for Christmas, and given Cameron's sleight of hand on fixed terms, they have to vote for one.

There then might be some tweaks to May's deal, but it will have to go to a second ref, where the question will be May's deal or Remain.

No deal, not being a realistic option as it will tank the economy.

This might be Labour's policy now.... or maybe not  Hmmm
Bathtime

Ignore
« Reply #4116 on: Thursday, November 29, 2018, 11:02:21 »

Nice to see the Governor of the Bank England taking such a reasoned view - not trying to scare people - really...Huh?

Bathtime
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #4117 on: Thursday, November 29, 2018, 11:12:22 »

Nice to see the Governor of the Bank England taking such a reasoned view - not trying to scare people - really...Huh?
The figures quoted are the worst case scenario. It would be interesting to see the best case scenario  or even the most likely view ito provide a balanced view.
Flashheart

« Reply #4118 on: Thursday, November 29, 2018, 11:13:06 »

How do you know it's not a reasoned view? What if it's what he genuinely believes? What would you have him say then? Would you rather he lied? Or keep quiet, over something so important?

Why assume he's just trying to scare people and not telling it as he genuinely sees it?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4119 on: Thursday, November 29, 2018, 11:15:28 »

Seems to me, he's asked the question, is the country prepared for a no-deal Brexit in March and found the answer to be no. 

Therefore has called for a transition period to make the necessary adjustments.

The Tory right predicatably are foaming at the mouth, suggesting it was wrong to appoint a Canadian to such a position.
Outletred

Ignore
« Reply #4120 on: Thursday, November 29, 2018, 11:20:27 »

How do you know it's not a reasoned view? What if it's what he genuinely believes? What would you have him say then? Would you rather he lied? Or keep quiet, over something so important?

Why assume he's just trying to scare people and not telling it as he genuinely sees it?

Because practically every projection he has ever made good or bad has been wrong. He is utterly useless
Flashheart

« Reply #4121 on: Thursday, November 29, 2018, 11:23:35 »

Because practically every projection he has ever made good or bad has been wrong. He is utterly useless

Let's just assume you're right, I'll leave it to somebody else to challenge your claim.

That doesn't answer my question. I didn't ask how we know he's right. I asked why assume he's just scaremongering.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4122 on: Thursday, November 29, 2018, 11:24:13 »

So you think the country is prepared for a no -deal Brexit in March?
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #4123 on: Thursday, November 29, 2018, 11:55:17 »

Interesting from McDonnell today.... his take over the coming weeks, is that MP's will vote down May's deal, but there will not be a GE, due to turkeys not voting for Christmas, and given Cameron's sleight of hand on fixed terms, they have to vote for one.

There then might be some tweaks to May's deal, but it will have to go to a second ref, where the question will be May's deal or Remain.

No deal, not being a realistic option as it will tank the economy.

This might be Labour's policy now.... or maybe not  Hmmm

Labour do seem to be shifting slightly, its been suggested from a reasonably reputable source that Corbyn is warming to the idea of coming out for a second vote if her deal is knocked on the head....
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #4124 on: Thursday, November 29, 2018, 11:58:19 »

The Tory right predicatably are foaming at the mouth, suggesting it was wrong to appoint a Canadian to such a position.

Rees-Mogg's ad hominem attack on him was telling.  Didn't like the message/conclusion, so attack the man.  Classy.
Pages: 1 ... 272 273 274 [275] 276 277 278 ... 881   Go Up
Print
Jump to: